Mitsubishi GTO or FTO?

sonoffire666

High Priest Of Hard Core
Jun 29, 2005
Petaling Jaya
Eh since when was the GTO released the same time as a Ferrari 360?

sonoffire666,
You make some valid points about choice of vehicle. I don't doubt the GTO is a slob compared to the light weight FTO. But here's some food for thought. Acquiring the parts you mentioned for turning an FTO into a 2.5 Mivec plus NOS beast would probably run you about, oh let's say 7 to 10k? Correct me if i am wrong :).

I must say the sound of a 2.5 Mivec is tempting but nevertheless for the same amount of money i am sure scoring higher spec fuel injectors and a piggy back would be easy for a GTO - if the aim on the stock turbos is to boost 1.1 to 1.2 bar. I'd be willing to say that getting an aftermarket intercooler as well for the GTO with the same budget isn't too difficult either.

But i am willing to agree even with the mods i mentioned, the GTO would probably be slower than the FTO.

But this is all speculation anyways, cos i don't know squat about either car.
<--- Honda guy :D
Hi Bro, u are right..!!! to convert a FTO to 2.5 Super Galant block, Piggybag, NOS kit + a good set of suspension kit, wheels+sticky rubbers & brakes system will set you back abt 10K... & I also agreed to you of scoring higher spec fuel injectors, Piggybag, raise the stock boost to 1.1 to 1.2 bar with a external Turbo Boost controller + getting an after market intercooler will be around budget. BUT not to forget, no point if the car cannot handle it. Like I've said "Power Is Nothing Without Handling". If the car only ganas on the straights but like a mouse during high speed swiping & sharp corners. Then I wouldn't say the car is not been modified in a balance manner. For a GTO to achieve the road holding stability that a FTO has... You really need to spend money on the suspension kit + go for 18 wheels+rubbers.. That will definitely will be more than 10K already... & as you know... Play turbo cars the main criteria is the exhaust system. 1 set of good mandrel bend exhaust system from header till rear tip for a 6 cylinder turbo charged car easily cost you about 4K-5K. Lastly, trust me bro, maintaining a mod turbo charged car is not cheap. If you drive it on a daily basis, get ready your wallet mate...!!.. I'm currently owning a 350+bhp on wheels Silvia S15 & I don't drive it daily.. I also feel the pinch.. Imagine a mod 3 liter turbo charged engine..

Why the 2.5 engine block..?? Main reason is to gives you great torque at corners where turbo lag is not in the dictionary, a good set of coil over reverse aluminum mono tube suspension kit with proper ride height, damping, camber, toe & corner weight settings allows you to maintain control during a sliding condition & if equipped with a 1.5way or a full lock LSD, u'll be swiping corners in a "NO FEAR" mode. As for the wet system NOS kit, it should be use when you are exiting the corner or on straights only to break away from whoever is all over your back...!!....

As you are a Honda Guy.... Transplanting a B18C as base & convert it with a 2.3cc Odyssey block, 3rd, 4th & Final drive gear ratio conversion & Mugen N1 full exhaust system, Hondata ECU, your car ROCKS...!!! Of course "Top Fuel" Vtec Turbo kit is the ultimate conversion... However, VTEC confirmed perform better with NOS as compare with MIVEC. Why don't you try it... put 2(two) 4 minutes NOS canister at the trunk... 1 tank for NOSing & another for PURGing purposes... Have fun..:wavey:

deacon

Senior master debater
May 5, 2005
KL
No way man! My B18C is already 15 years old same with my car ;). No NOS for me. I was thinking about a really low pressure quick boosting turbo kit but that would run in the range of 6 to 7k, for that kind of money i might as well try to boost more than 1 bar instead :S.

Anyways off topic a little bit heh.

Boosting 1 bar will make the GTO handle that terrible meh ;), work in progress lah hehe. But still, the sound of a 2.5 mivec v6 is very sexy. I can imagine what it would sound like now, mmm sexy.

veilsideboyz

1,500 RPM
Oct 28, 2008
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA !! FTO can't even compare with GTO twin turbo la...Dude
dont say which car modify la... stock vs stock ... GTO although is heavy...but u all know the power of GTO ?? 3000cc TWIN TURBO... 280bhp...dyno.. can get 230++whp ..(stock)0-100Km/h only 4sec++
and FTO is only 160++whp... different level...
GTO is compare wif evo...fairlady...skyline...subaru...
FTO compare target is just RX8..caldina...celica...and more...
if wanna drive daily...just buy a FTO...if wanna race get a GTO !! but...the road tax is really expensive...
myself have a celica 7gen BOT and GTO twin turbo... my celica can even win a FTO ...we had try it b4...
but...when my bro drive gto drag race wif me... my car(celica) lose damn kau kau ler...
that is my experience...
plss..correct me if i m'wong ~!! CHERRSSS !!:biggrin: :thrasher:

Bump:
No way man! My B18C is already 15 years old same with my car ;). No NOS for me. I was thinking about a really low pressure quick boosting turbo kit but that would run in the range of 6 to 7k, for that kind of money i might as well try to boost more than 1 bar instead :S.

Anyways off topic a little bit heh.

Boosting 1 bar will make the GTO handle that terrible meh ;), work in progress lah hehe. But still, the sound of a 2.5 mivec v6 is very sexy. I can imagine what it would sound like now, mmm sexy.
haha !! no need boost 1.0 la... GTO stock boost 0.5 bar can win fto mivec kau kau ad....
the most important is the car speed ler...the sound of mivec , vtec, LIFT, ntg effect to the engine...
i think... u doesnt know much about GTO TWIN TURBO....:biggrin:

Bump:
GTOs mostly AWD right? Saw the halfcut in Kepong and it has AWD.

If so, both cars have different handling aspects.
GTO is 4WD drive...

Bump:
GTO's handling sucks lahh... Compare to FTO...
Drink petrol damn kau & stoping power very sloppy coz very heavy.. Maintainace wise..Quite costly due to turbo charged and a very old car.. Need to do up a lot then only can look awesome.. There is 1 red colour GTO quite nicely done up running around at Subang area but spend a bomb on it for the wide body kit.. Ferrari Testarossa look... Plus road tax is RM2k+ where else FTo only RM300++

Hopefully, your final decision will be FTO..then can join us - FTO Malaysia Owners Club for TT session...

Vice President for FTO(M) Owners Club
Although is drink pertro damn kau....but the speed if compare to FTO....also damn far....
FTO newer than GTO...but..the horse..big much different....
iDo you know that ...old car faster !! for example : Honda NSX 3.0 , GTO TWin turbo 3.0 , RX7, Skyline GTR33,6 Gen turbo celica and more... all bigggggggger horse !!
But...now rx8....7 gen celica....skyline GTT...FTO...all can't even compare wif older generation...

Nobody
Helmet Clan
Dec 21, 2005
hey mid engine,how r u?come la to kepong tt so we can blow water...

fto is too fast for an uncle like me..

Nobody
Helmet Clan
Dec 21, 2005
that 1 is only panda,not monster...the white monster is the fto which roaring ard kepong area with cf hood & gt wing

cnxnet

Known Member
Mar 30, 2006
hey mid engine,how r u?come la to kepong tt so we can blow water...

fto is too fast for an uncle like me..
yes, i agree uncle car Fto not suit brother 5115. M3 are best for you :adore:

mid_engine

Jan 8, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
that 1 is only panda,not monster...the white monster is the fto which roaring ard kepong area with cf hood & gt wing
oh..that one white fto,i saw it around pasar borong area.
his father damn rich...
i had been goto kepong,but no time to meet u guys.

Nobody
Helmet Clan
Dec 21, 2005
mid engine:i guess u got my contact,call me whenever u dropby kepong

cnxnet:too bad i can afford 3M tape onli

nitromx

Sep 30, 2009
Sel
hi guys
been looking around for FTO lately
any advice on looking for FTO?

notice there are 2 version of engines
one is 200bhb and another is lesser
how to know which is which?

thanks

gbajien

Aug 29, 2012
Selangor
rather incorrect info there dude, the GTO had a 1990 to 1999 production run:
GTO Mk1 - 1990 to 93 (pop-up headlights, 5-speed Getrag gearbox)
GTO Mk2 - 1994 to 96 (VR4 version starts)
GTO Mk3 - 1997 to 1998 (MR version starts)
GTO Mk4 - 1999 (the last production year and ultra rare, especially here is S.E.A)

Then you have the variants: NA - FWD, TwinTurbo auto or manual (either the TT, VR-4, or MR)
for the TwinTurbo, the average power it makes is 316Bhp and 427Nm of torque (varies a bit between Japan / UK / USA)

Mitsubishi Japan still manufacture some components for the GTO as there is a significant following and customer base in those regions, though its a make-as-per-order basis (i know cause I bought a pair of door covers online from a GTO shop in the UK, package came in an MMC packaging with serial and parts number).

You want a torque-machine on the same level as the Supra, Skyline and 300ZX, then the GTO is for you (5-speed Mk1 can hit 180kmh in 3rd gear). But be prepared to do your homework on how to get it running properly, especially in terms of sourcing quality used parts (or half-cuts) and for performance upgrades ... these are better sourced in the US (like GTO/3000GT tuners 3SX) and UK, as local chopshops will quote you cut-throat prices for GTO parts here and the condition isn't always good..

And Thailand has an awesome GTO group and with very souped up GTO's
(GTO's used to be available in M'sia back in 1993 -1996 under the distributor Cycle & Carriage if i'm not mistaken)

Personally, if I had the money i'd get an FTO to accompany my GTO hehehe (6A12 & 6G72 TT)

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
gto and fto really have special place in my hearts as the "thunderbolt" movie from jackie chan plays in my mind clearly... :biggrin: :driver:

gbajien

Aug 29, 2012
Selangor
gto and fto really have special place in my hearts as the "thunderbolt" movie from jackie chan plays in my mind clearly... :biggrin: :driver:
yea man, its a unique car with a look that still doesn't look its age :)

and Mitsu went all out to cram tech into the car:
4WD, 4WS, 3L twinturbo V6, getrag gearbox, suspension with ACS (active dampers), active aero (front lip comes out at 100kmh, while rear spoiler angles downwards), exhaust valve control (to change the exhaust note), electric seats with side-bolster adjuster ...
all this from a 1990 car :)