Lowering Ride height. (Need advice)

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
:stupid::stupid:

That's why .... Headache now..... dilemma..... :hmmmm::stupid::hmmmm::stupid:
No need to worry too much, lowering by 2-3cm using proper street sport springs should be fine. IMHO roads in KL are still mostly ok, not many potholes or bumps. Ur car is also a relatively short wheelbase car with short overhangs, so should not be much problems to clear ramps in malls even after lowering a bit. On the highway, ur car should also handle much better, and can corner more flat and stable.

kowkl

Known Member
Nov 26, 2003
Guys,

I would like to know if you are using the ori absorbers and use a lower spring, will that damage yr absorbers. The amount of lowering is around 1 or 2 finger only. I'm referring to Forte coz I've put up the question and have not got any answer for about 1 week. Any good reasonable priced suggestion ?
Tq

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Guys,

I would like to know if you are using the ori absorbers and use a lower spring, will that damage yr absorbers. The amount of lowering is around 1 or 2 finger only. I'm referring to Forte coz I've put up the question and have not got any answer for about 1 week. Any good reasonable priced suggestion ?
Tq
It will not affect your absorber significantly, unless you choose a spring which has a much higher spring rate than your std one, then your absorber will have to work much harder to dampen the bouncing force of the spring. But the lowering street springs made available for the general market are usually still within the tolerance that can be handled by the stock absorbers so you may not notice the difference in the absorbers' durability.

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
No need to worry too much, lowering by 2-3cm using proper street sport springs should be fine. IMHO roads in KL are still mostly ok, not many potholes or bumps. Ur car is also a relatively short wheelbase car with short overhangs, so should not be much problems to clear ramps in malls even after lowering a bit. On the highway, ur car should also handle much better, and can corner more flat and stable.
Thanks for the assurance bro. :biggrin: I shall lower soon. In 2 weeks time after my exam. =D

kowkl

Known Member
Nov 26, 2003
Any good suggestion for lowered springs for kia forte ?

TQ

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
just keep the height in between 2-3 fingers, don't too low . You will feel difficulty to park your car in malls,buildings or others. Damn.....
You mean 2-3 fingers between fender and tyre / between car's bodykit and ground?

I'm planning to lower about 4-5 cm. I measured using a ruler before. After lowering clearance for my front bumper would be around 5 or 6 cm left. Will that be too low? :hmmmm:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
You mean 2-3 fingers between fender and tyre / between car's bodykit and ground?

I'm planning to lower about 4-5 cm. I measured using a ruler before. After lowering clearance for my front bumper would be around 5 or 6 cm left. Will that be too low? :hmmmm:
IMO that would be a too low. Should be around 2 finger fender gaps or 2-3 cm lowering.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
2-finger gap will be the ideal lowering as it has ample distance for the tyre travel and would not affect much your camber. My ride height is subzero finger gap, of course it looks good but my front camber is -2°. Usually I have to craw over higher than normal humps.

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
2-finger gap will be the ideal lowering as it has ample distance for the tyre travel and would not affect much your camber. My ride height is subzero finger gap, of course it looks good but my front camber is -2°. Usually I have to craw over higher than normal humps.
That's what i'm worried about. Hmmm.... I think i'll leave a 1-2cm gap... But I won't know exactly how much it will be lower until I put the springs on right? I can only estimate. Have to trust the mechanics judgement I guess. :hmmmm:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
That's what i'm worried about. Hmmm.... I think i'll leave a 1-2cm gap... But I won't know exactly how much it will be lower until I put the springs on right? I can only estimate. Have to trust the mechanics judgement I guess. :hmmmm:
You should check out the spec of the spring on the web. I know it would likely not be accurate but at least you can have estimation to choose.

D.K.Prince

500 RPM
I mean 2-3 fingers between fender and tyre. My ride height is 3 fingers(between fender and tyre) with 12.5cm between my front bumper and ground. Almost 4 fingers when I clear The Curve basement parking. *haha* I cant imaging how can I clear other shopping mall basement parking. Sucks....

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Just measured my car. Now ground clearance from front bumper is 1about 14.5cm.... if i lower 4 cm that means will have 10cm+- of ground clearance left... behind i'm not afraid.... i'm gonna lower behind more. Maybe 5cm... coz CPS back suspension is blardy high...... Only thing is have to make sure the tyre dun grind the fender.

frank118

Known Member
Feb 7, 2009
Lowered springs = harder settings, been scrapping bumps on and off.

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Lowered springs = harder settings, been scrapping bumps on and off.

Thanks for the info. I'm okay with scraping a little bumps. Salesman told me the anti rust for the chasis has a 5 year warranty. Even if kena bumps can claim warranty. :biggrin:

Btw, nice carbon wing you got there on your neo. :top:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys,

Here is a story to share. This happened to a colleague of mine and i was with his yesterday. This is the exact complain letter going out to the Toyota Customer Service Center.

Dear Customer Service Manager,

It is a big shock to me after a few months of support from the TOYOTA BAYAN BARU outlet in Penang.
It has been ~ 4 months owning the TOYOTA ALTIS 1.8 PHK 9**8 and the 1st service was superb and the car in general is a good buy.
It is my first time owning a car and I was...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience