Lowering Ride height. (Need advice)

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I need feedback from those who lowered their car's spring before. I want to know usually how much ppl lower? 1 inch? 2 inches?
I'm driving a NeoCps, the original ground clearance is very high but it looks uncool. Saw many Neo's that lowered their height, looks much better. But I don't want to lower it too much that I have to go over bumbs very very slowly..... Just wanna to make it look nicer. :hmmmm: :hmmmm: :hmmmm:

Those that lowered you car's height before please feel free to give any advice/suggestion/comments.

:adore::adore::adore:

zane_al

Known Member
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Some bumps in housing areas are so high, it's difficult to estimate.
My advice is you go a good absorber service shop and ask/trust their judgement, and readjust them accordingly.
Believe me, those lowered cars are not for 'ronda2'.

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
you dont want to lower too much trust me not with our road condition forget speedbumps what about pot holes
if you just happen to hit a pot hole with just one tyre also your front bumper or side skirt could collide with the road depending on how deep the hole is and how fast you are travelling
and also with the uneven road surfaces your tires could hit the fender unless your absorbers are hard
lowering ride height is actually a matter of personal preference so think hard and long before deciding anything to make sure that you can look the other way to the cons of doing it

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I think 2-3,5 cm of lowering or leave about 2 finger fender gap (if w/ std wheels & tires) is ideal enough. Don't go lower than that.

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I think 2-3,5 cm of lowering or leave about 2 finger fender gap (if w/ std wheels & tires) is ideal enough. Don't go lower than that.
The 2 finger rule will be useful.

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

The R3 height is just nice!

dr_snape_79

500 RPM
Sep 10, 2006
Perak
Bro, believe me that u will hurt when your ride frequently "tersagat". Like mine, ground clearance is 4 fingers but still tersagat. Even with all new absorbers.

kaderAE101

Known Member
Mar 6, 2010
K.L / Ampang
The general guideline is, if you lower yr springs.. you need to make up for it by changing yr rim to 1 size bigger or your tyre height to 1 size higher.. :idea:

if 14" inch rim now.. get 15"inch rims.. alternatively.. you can change tyre from 185/60 to 185/70.

These steps actually helps to ..

I was driving my AE101 with 17" rims, it missed most of the humps.. even with full load.:driver:
But I downgraded to 15" for better pickup, the exhaust brushed all the humps..:hmmmm:

Last edited:

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I general guideline is if you lower yr springs.. you need to make up for it by changing yr rim to 1 size bigger or your tyre height to 1 size higher.. :idea:

if 14" inch rim now.. get 15"inch rims.. alternatively.. you can change tyre from 185/60 to 185/70.

These steps actually helps to ..

I was driving my AE101 with 17" rims, it missed most of the humps.. even with full load.:driver:
But I downgraded to 15" for better pickup, the exhaust brushed all the humps..:hmmmm:

Oh... icic. I'm still on my original 16'' cps rims. Planning to change to aftermarket 16'' also.... If I lower by about say 5cm from original heigh using the original rims do you think it's okay? Coz I measured using ruler at my car bumber and skirting. Should be okay. Will it be so low that I have to go over bumbs sideways ?? :hmmmm:

Danz: I thought of that before also.... how much will spacers cost? Will it affect my handling or steering much since the wheel base will be wider?

If can, lower spring + spacer. LOL! :driver: U guys are poisoning me even more. :biggrin:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
i love it if can do like this..

the gab between tyre & the arc is equal at all degree..

i wish i can do this$$$$$ also... :biggrin:

kaderAE101

Known Member
Mar 6, 2010
K.L / Ampang
Oh... icic. I'm still on my original 16'' cps rims. Planning to change to aftermarket 16'' also.... If I lower by about say 5cm from original heigh using the original rims do you think it's okay? Coz I measured using ruler at my car bumber and skirting. Should be okay. Will it be so low that I have to go over bumbs sideways ?? :hmmmm:
Bro, the best deal is to invest in :
1. the coil over set.. u can adjust the height + adjust the damping stiffness..
2. suggestion is .. since u already planning to change rim.. Get 17" rim, keep your tyre size & low profile . Eg. 205/40/17. Your ride will look very grand in 17 inch rim... But.. check yr buget also :proud:/COLOR]

cikai

Aug 10, 2010
kelantan
bro why dont u just get a set of r3 spring? the height after u put in r3 spring is just nice and it feels comfortable too compared to the other sport spring in the market..it will make ur ride become slightly lower and improved ur handling..but it's up to u & ur budget

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
dont forget though the tire prices for 17inch rims are quite a bit more than 16inch and also the car will become heavier and fuel consumption would be worse off unless you can opt for japan lightweight rims

XlimShady

Known Member
Oct 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
bro why dont u just get a set of r3 spring? the height after u put in r3 spring is just nice and it feels comfortable too compared to the other sport spring in the market..it will make ur ride become slightly lower and improved ur handling..but it's up to u & ur budget
Any idea where i can get them and price range? :hmmmm:
EDIT: I just found out.... rm750!! That like 3X normal proce. I'm planning get some normal springs from my friend. His dad is a sparepart supplier.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

dont forget though the tire prices for 17inch rims are quite a bit more than 16inch and also the car will become heavier and fuel consumption would be worse off unless you can opt for japan lightweight rims
I'm aware of that. Actually I did some observing. It is not the RIM SIZE that matter (16''/17'') It's actually the ride height the makes the difference in the looks. Coz the satira R3 is only using 16'' Rims and it looks better then normal CPS height with 17''..... thats y i decided to lower my car's ride. And 17'' rims are indeed very expensive compared to 16''

Last edited:

kaderAE101

Known Member
Mar 6, 2010
K.L / Ampang
Xlimshady.. u gotta do alot of homework .. There are so many choices nowadays.. Certain taiwan rims are of good quality.. light weight and new models available..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

UMW Toyota introduced the newest member of the famous Hilux family last week - the 3.0G. While the pickup truck may look like any other lesser Hilux on the road, it's actually worlds apart, everything from it's engine to it's price boasts higher numbers and to put this to the test, UMW Toyota flew Daniel and I to Sabah to see if it really is everything they say it is.

To share the experience with...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience