DIY coolant replace + flush

Discussion in 'News and Features' started by Izso, Sep 12, 2011.

1. huakenny

huakenny LB Performance

got bubbles i guess... toyota i think should have a bolt some where at thermostat housing to release the air trapped in d cooling system if not mistaken...try to have a look

2. punk

punk Senior Member

i check out tomoro the bolt because dark dy, the thermostat housing design same with this myvi..
    if i drive around will the buble air goes out automatically or it will trap inside?

3. Izso

Izso Boooooossst
    Helmet Clan Moderator

You have to know the difference between air bubble and boiling bubbles. Most likely what you saw is the boiling bubbles. Air bubbles usually come in big groups or are pretty large. You probably can stop once it's settled down to some degree.

Air bubbles trapped inside stay inside. The only thing bad about that is it's a bad conductor of heat but having said that one a or two bubbles isn't going to be catastrophic unless your car is super heavily modified and highly dependent on the radiator to stay cool...

4. samurai76

samurai76 5 Year | Silver

izso san...thx for the tutorial with pictures that ease everyone to perform the DIY...this was my 2nd major DIY after cleaning the TB...:biggrin:

the volume of water in radiator = 1.5litres..while the volume in reserve tank=0.6litres...if you guys are using 'pure coolant', you can make some rough estimation amount of water acquired in the radiator/reserve tank VS qty coolant you should buy at the spare part shops ..please correct me if i am wrong...

5. deroll

deroll Member

I measured the amount of coolant at 2.8-3.3L including the reserve tank of 0.6 (at the full mark) here.

6. Vincent0001

Vincent0001 New Member

Do you put any sealant when connecting back the hoses? or simple insert back the hoses and clamp it, it should be work fine?

7. gunnerzz

gunnerzz 5 Year | Silver

If the contact surface is clean and smooth, no need to put sealant/gasket maker.
    Some mech uses sealent/gasket maker when they dont bother to clean the surface.

8. Izso

Izso Boooooossst
    Helmet Clan Moderator

The pressure isn't as crazy as some other cars. Myvi shouldn't need the sealant but no harm adding it

9. Vincent0001

Vincent0001 New Member

I also not planning to adding it because thinking a bit trouble to remove and clean the sealant the next time, so I ask for opinion. Thanks your opinion. :-)

10. vr2turbo

vr2turbo 5 Year | Silver
    Helmet Clan Moderator

Connecting point all clean don't need the sealants , but if have it helps the hose to slide in also......

11. Vincent0001

Vincent0001 New Member

Good point:driver::driver: