Buy a used car

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

stereobiru

May 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Hello to all. I'm Zul and here to ask the opinion to all friends here. I plan to get a used car in this year with my budget around 30k - 40k++ max. In my mind, i plan to buy either toyota vios old version (mnufctured 2006/07) or honda city vtec (manufctured 2007/08). The current value that i do some research is around my budget. That why i considering to get these car.. so, just asking here, what is current value for this type of these car this day? What is i found is around 35k to 45k.. and anyone have experience with this car? Car share ur experience cause i need to choose what car is more better to make my choices.. i also want to ask opinion, is it okay if i take the car already 6-7 already used? I hope i can get info/suggestion from the expert/forumer here. Thanks

stereobiru

May 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
are u a fresh grad? y not consider a new myvi or saga.?
nope.. but just working around 8month++.. i plan to get a used car for now whether vios (old version) or honda city 2008. Not interested with myvi or saga for now..hehe

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

Or the new Proton Persona SV
I try get the used vios or city first. The persona not in my planning but still in consideration.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Hello to all. I'm Zul and here to ask the opinion to all friends here. I plan to get a used car in this year with my budget around 30k - 40k++ max. In my mind, i plan to buy either toyota vios old version (mnufctured 2006/07) or honda city vtec (manufctured 2007/08). The current value that i do some research is around my budget. That why i considering to get these car.. so, just asking here, what is current value for this type of these car this day? What is i found is around 35k to 45k.. and anyone have experience with this car? Car share ur experience cause i need to choose what car is more better to make my choices.. i also want to ask opinion, is it okay if i take the car already 6-7 already used? I hope i can get info/suggestion from the expert/forumer here. Thanks
RM45K, u could get an Altis 1.8G. 1st model Altis.

Anyway, buying is not really the problem. Whether you can afford to maintain it. Get one that doesn't put a hole in your pocket for maintaining it will do. Credit card aint an option.

If after deduct monthly commitment for car, the rest of your income just ngam ngam to survive for the whole month, then that car is not suitable for u.

If you Pay for that car monthly and can actually save at least RM300 - RM500 every month. That's the car that I would say you can afford. Best is to have RM500 extra every month. Any shit happens to the car, you wont end up putting the car in the porch as decoration for weeks until your next salary is out.

stereobiru

May 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
RM45K, u could get an Altis 1.8G. 1st model Altis.

Anyway, buying is not really the problem. Whether you can afford to maintain it. Get one that doesn't put a hole in your pocket for maintaining it will do. Credit card aint an option.

If after deduct monthly commitment for car, the rest of your income just ngam ngam to survive for the whole month, then that car is not suitable for u.

If you Pay for that car monthly and can actually save at least RM300 - RM500 every month. That's the car that I would say you can afford. Best is to have RM500 extra every month. Any shit happens to the car, you wont end up putting the car in the porch as decoration for weeks until your next salary is out.
actually when i try find a used car to buy, i consider about the FC, the maintenance, etc. After do some reasearch in net and asking my friends, i find that vios & city is suitable for my requirement. But still need a opinion for other people especially the people have experienced with these car to confirm of this. For the Altis 1.8G, i never do a researced about this car and not in my list of car i want to buy lor and nobody ever recommend i before this. About maintainance this car, i think can la kot. but hope don't get the big damaged la..hehe

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
actually when i try find a used car to buy, i consider about the FC, the maintenance, etc. After do some reasearch in net and asking my friends, i find that vios & city is suitable for my requirement. But still need a opinion for other people especially the people have experienced with these car to confirm of this. For the Altis 1.8G, i never do a researced about this car and not in my list of car i want to buy lor and nobody ever recommend i before this. About maintainance this car, i think can la kot. but hope don't get the big damaged la..hehe
:top:

1st batch Vios and Altis very good. As long as you maintain it well, it doesn't give you much problem.
Normal wear and tear all cars sure have. But prepare at least RM3K or more as back up. Buying used car sure have some wear and tear parts to change. Needless to say, is Toyota so may cost more.

Good FC, then toyota is the one to go for. So Vios or Altis, is up to you. Suggest to test drive both and decide after that. RM45K of course u will get older model of Altis and Vios will be newer in terms of production year. Maybe vios is year 2007 while Altis maybe 2005.

Bought a used Kancil. Spent close to RM3K for wear and tear parts + tyres of course. For 1997 car, that's the amount I expected will need to spend and prepared. So, no complaints and headache.

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
do u really need that much space for a car, if still single & just 8mth of working, better get a kelisa instead, not too big it is but in terms of fc, maintenance, it sure is cost effective, can ask Suprafan for approval of this fish effectiveness:biggrin:

stereobiru

May 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
:top:

1st batch Vios and Altis very good. As long as you maintain it well, it doesn't give you much problem.
Normal wear and tear all cars sure have. But prepare at least RM3K or more as back up. Buying used car sure have some wear and tear parts to change. Needless to say, is Toyota so may cost more.

Good FC, then toyota is the one to go for. So Vios or Altis, is up to you. Suggest to test drive both and decide after that. RM45K of course u will get older model of Altis and Vios will be newer in terms of production year. Maybe vios is year 2007 while Altis maybe 2005.

Bought a used Kancil. Spent close to RM3K for wear and tear parts + tyres of course. For 1997 car, that's the amount I expected will need to spend and prepared. So, no complaints and headache.
yes. agree with u.. but i hope after i buy, no need la to spent additional cost for the car. hahaha.. yup, in my mind i plan to get a old version of vios (man year 2007) or honda city. The price i already usha2 around 38k to 45k. You think the price range for those car is okay for now day? I also consider the dugong vios (man 2008-above). I check the price, with rm45-48k also can get.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
do u really need that much space for a car, if still single & just 8mth of working, better get a kelisa instead, not too big it is but in terms of fc, maintenance, it sure is cost effective, can ask Suprafan for approval of this fish effectiveness:biggrin:
Fish? Never regret buying it. Comfortable, Corner like King even just using SACHS absorbers. Not even adjustables yet. With adjustables + ATR K Sport, I think gonna corner like God. :rofl:

FC is good as well and power is sufficient for city drive.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

yes. agree with u.. but i hope after i buy, no need la to spent additional cost for the car. hahaha.. yup, in my mind i plan to get a old version of vios (man year 2007) or honda city. The price i already usha2 around 38k to 45k. You think the price range for those car is okay for now day? I also consider the dugong vios (man 2008-above). I check the price, with rm45-48k also can get.
Vios okay la, if u really want good FC, forget about Honda City. My friend own 1st Gen Vios for 10 years, no problem at all. Everyday From Klang to KL thru & flow.

How much additional need to spend, depends on luck. Especially when you are getting from used car dealers. Altis is using Timing Chain, so no worries on changing Timing Belt but just need to get mech to check the condition of the chain since is 2nd hand. Vios I'm not sure using Timing belt or chain. Unless u getting the car from a close friend and tells u the condition of it.

If u r not the type that wants power, and only want good fc, then just get vios. Price is around there. So I would say is reasonable. Power wise, more than enough for city/highway drive.

Not god car though. :biggrin:

Kelisa, not sure if u r interested but this car is damn affordable to maintain. Parts are cheap and easy to source. Maintenance really cheap too.

Tyres usually u have to prepare for it. All 4 tyres would take up close to RM800. (Depends on what tyre you buy)

stereobiru

May 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Fish? Never regret buying it. Comfortable, Corner like King even just using SACHS absorbers. Not even adjustables yet. With adjustables + ATR K Sport, I think gonna corner like God. :rofl:

haha.. that my friends called the new vios.. I think i more interested with the body of old vios. I heard i the engine between the old vios and new vios also no have any different right? except for for the interior of these car lor have different

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
haha.. that my friends called the new vios.. I think i more interested with the body of old vios. I heard i the engine between the old vios and new vios also no have any different right? except for for the interior of these car lor have different
Ya all call them Dugong, but latest one no more dugong :rofl: I prefer the dugong shape than the latest one actually.

But Altis, like you. I prefer the 1st batch one. Love it till date. The latest altis I only love the front, rear i dont like it.

Yes, sad to say that 3 generations from 1st gen till date. Same engine and tech :banghead::banghead::banghead:

That's why all 3 still good FC. Old is Gold ma like some said :laugh:

Even Altis have Dual VVT-i but is still old technology that was used some time ago. But at least engine different la haha!

stereobiru

May 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
yes.. i agree with you..but, young man bos.. want to try to the "well known" car brand..haha..can't get the new , used one also okay..hehe.. and i also not a person that addicted to much to car. So, that why want to get a car that really puas hati and can used in a long time..hehe

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

Ya all call them Dugong, but latest one no more dugong :rofl: I prefer the dugong shape than the latest one actually.

But Altis, like you. I prefer the 1st batch one. Love it till date. The latest altis I only love the front, rear i dont like it.

Yes, sad to say that 3 generations from 1st gen till date. Same engine and tech :banghead::banghead::banghead:

That's why all 3 still good FC. Old is Gold ma like some said :laugh:

Even Altis have Dual VVT-i but is still old technology that was used some time ago. But at least engine different la haha!
Yup.. that why i plan to get the old vios because there not much biggers different from the new one. But want to search the latest one lor.. at more than 8-10++ year age of car.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Vios okay la, if u really want good FC, forget about Honda City. My friend own 1st Gen Vios for 10 years, no problem at all. Everyday From Klang to KL thru & flow.

How much additional need to spend, depends on luck. Especially when you are getting from used car dealers. Altis is using Timing Chain, so no worries on changing Timing Belt but just need to get mech to check the condition of the chain since is 2nd hand. Vios I'm not sure using Timing belt or chain. Unless u getting the car from a close friend and tells u the condition of it.

If u r not the type that wants power, and only want good fc, then just get vios. Price is around there. So I would say is reasonable. Power wise, more than enough for city/highway drive.

Not god car though. :biggrin:

Kelisa, not sure if u r interested but this car is damn affordable to maintain. Parts are cheap and easy to source. Maintenance really cheap too.

Tyres usually u have to prepare for it. All 4 tyres would take up close to RM800. (Depends on what tyre you buy)
Ok.. Thank for your recommendation bro.. maybe this week want to test drive the old vios with the owner in Seri Kembangan. He is direct owner.. i not very believe with the dealer seriously because many of my frenz kene kencing when they buy from a used car dealer ni.. If okay and no problem, i think the old vios is my final decision..hehe:proud:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
yes.. i agree with you..but, young man bos.. want to try to the "well known" car brand..haha..can't get the new , used one also okay..hehe.. and i also not a person that addicted to much to car. So, that why want to get a car that really puas hati and can used in a long time..hehe

Yup.. that why i plan to get the old vios because there not much biggers different from the new one. But want to search the latest one lor.. at more than 8-10++ year age of car.

Ok.. Thank for your recommendation bro.. maybe this week want to test drive the old vios with the owner in Seri Kembangan. He is direct owner.. i not very believe with the dealer seriously because many of my frenz kene kencing when they buy from a used car dealer ni.. If okay and no problem, i think the old vios is my final decision..hehe:proud:
Happy buying then, make sure to bring it to your mech for full service and checking. I bought my Kelisa from used car dealer, just need to know how to check the car yourselves and not believing in their promises of will repair this and that. Need to check every corner ourselves.

Even if direct owner, just check thoroughly. He is still someone who is trying to sell his car. Lemon or not, depends on luck hehe!

Touchwood, my kelisa really perfect condition lol!

stereobiru

May 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Happy buying then, make sure to bring it to your mech for full service and checking. I bought my Kelisa from used car dealer, just need to know how to check the car yourselves and not believing in their promises of will repair this and that. Need to check every corner ourselves.

Even if direct owner, just check thoroughly. He is still someone who is trying to sell his car. Lemon or not, depends on luck hehe!

Touchwood, my kelisa really perfect condition lol!
Yup.. maybe go with my frenz..but he not a mech. But still have knowledge about the car compare with me. I from mlk and now work in cyberjaya. So, dont have any mech that i know in this area. Would you have a contact any mech around kl/selangor that can provide service to take a look a used car bro?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Yup.. maybe go with my frenz..but he not a mech. But still have knowledge about the car compare with me. I from mlk and now work in cyberjaya. So, dont have any mech that i know in this area. Would you have a contact any mech around kl/selangor that can provide service to take a look a used car bro?
If around Puchong area, he might, but he is quite a busy guy LOL! I'm not sure if mechs charge for their time. But can try ask. My mech is in Puchong. Another ex-mech is Kepong. :rofl:

Check undercarriage for any leaking. Check door rubbers for any possible dents. Like the car may have total loss or turtled before. Usually hidden at those rubbers.

Lift the floor carpet up to check the chassis for rust or masuk air before. Spare tyre area check for rust as well.

Bumper edges can see is obvious if resprayed. But if resprayed, to me still okay, just make sure engine bay paint same colour as body. If different color, possible that it has major accident.

Under the engine just check for leakage. Best no need to start the car 1st when you are checking the car. Car usually makes more noise during cold start. That way u know if it has problem. Once warmed up, most sounds are gone.

One of the way to nego more is to look for faults from the car LOL! :biggrin:
Like this and that need to change and etcs. :listen:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
if u like the 1st gen vios then go ahead, but u must take to account bout your salary, make sure the monthly repayment does not exceed 1/3 of your salary, keep aside some spare cash just incase u need to replace wear & tear parts.

dun rush in buying the car, search around in carlist or autoworld, it would be better if u could buy direct from owner rather than used car. preferably 1 owner check the condition of the car whether has it involved in an accident before, listen to the engine sound etc....
good luck hunting.

stereobiru

May 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
If around Puchong area, he might, but he is quite a busy guy LOL! I'm not sure if mechs charge for their time. But can try ask. My mech is in Puchong. Another ex-mech is Kepong. :rofl:

Check undercarriage for any leaking. Check door rubbers for any possible dents. Like the car may have total loss or turtled before. Usually hidden at those rubbers.

Lift the floor carpet up to check the chassis for rust or masuk air before. Spare tyre area check for rust as well.

Bumper edges can see is obvious if resprayed. But if resprayed, to me still okay, just make sure engine bay paint same colour as body. If different color, possible that it has major accident.

Under the engine just check for leakage. Best no need to start the car 1st when you are checking the car. Car usually makes more noise during cold start. That way u know if it has problem. Once warmed up, most sounds are gone.

One of the way to nego more is to look for faults from the car LOL! :biggrin:
Like this and that need to change and etcs. :listen:
ok bos.. thank you for your tips bro. Sure, i will take a look carefully before make decision to but it. But still, i think need to bring an experienced mech beside me to make sure the condition the car is okay because mech know what should to check right. can u give me your mech num contact bos if need help. Maybe i will try to contact he first to ask first his free time..hehe

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

if u like the 1st gen vios then go ahead, but u must take to account bout your salary, make sure the monthly repayment does not exceed 1/3 of your salary, keep aside some spare cash just incase u need to replace wear & tear parts.

dun rush in buying the car, search around in carlist or autoworld, it would be better if u could buy direct from owner rather than used car. preferably 1 owner check the condition of the car whether has it involved in an accident before, listen to the engine sound etc....
good luck hunting.
Ok..thank for reminder and tips bos.. i already make the calculation about the monthly repayment. My budget for repayment for every month that i decide till around rm500++ . Still now, i continued search the car in net, paper and ask friends but i currently narrow my search in the toyata vios used car and honda city.

awan88

Known Member
Feb 27, 2010
Klang Bukit Raj
Hello to all. I'm Zul and here to ask the opinion to all friends here. I plan to get a used car in this year with my budget around 30k - 40k++ max. In my mind, i plan to buy either toyota vios old version (mnufctured 2006/07) or honda city vtec (manufctured 2007/08). The current value that i do some research is around my budget. That why i considering to get these car.. so, just asking here, what is current value for this type of these car this day? What is i found is around 35k to 45k.. and anyone have experience with this car? Car share ur experience cause i need to choose what car is more better to make my choices.. i also want to ask opinion, is it okay if i take the car already 6-7 already used? I hope i can get info/suggestion from the expert/forumer here. Thanks[/QUOTE ]

vios vs city, of course vios, city with idsi got cvt transmission problems, otherwise, even the 2nd generation of honda city still suffer from the front lower arm so soft that easily kong if riding in race mode and 'jatuh lubang' <-- what is the term to use with this one?
if still want to buy honda city, consider the one with ivtec 4speed transmission which is more heavy duty compare to cvt.
this is my only 2cent, if got mistake from my opinion, big apologise to honda and toyota user. :adore:

stereobiru

May 4, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Hello to all. I'm Zul and here to ask the opinion to all friends here. I plan to get a used car in this year with my budget around 30k - 40k++ max. In my mind, i plan to buy either toyota vios old version (mnufctured 2006/07) or honda city vtec (manufctured 2007/08). The current value that i do some research is around my budget. That why i considering to get these car.. so, just asking here, what is current value for this type of these car this day? What is i found is around 35k to 45k.. and anyone have experience with this car? Car share ur experience cause i need to choose what car is more better to make my choices.. i also want to ask opinion, is it okay if i take the car already 6-7 already used? I hope i can get info/suggestion from the expert/forumer here. Thanks[/QUOTE ]

vios vs city, of course vios, city with idsi got cvt transmission problems, otherwise, even the 2nd generation of honda city still suffer from the front lower arm so soft that easily kong if riding in race mode and 'jatuh lubang' <-- what is the term to use with this one?
if still want to buy honda city, consider the one with ivtec 4speed transmission which is more heavy duty compare to cvt.
this is my only 2cent, if got mistake from my opinion, big apologise to honda and toyota user. :adore:
Ok..thank for your opinion. Yes, for now my first choice in my mind is vios. I plan to get the old vios (manfctured 2006/07) as my target car. As i do some research, there not have a bigger gap differents between the old vios with the new vios. Plus the old vios body, more interesting for me. The budget and montly repayment also in my range that i can afford. Just want make i concern is the age of this car for now..