Best Engine Oil for NA 20V Blacktop

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

tonyops

Known Member
Oct 28, 2010
Sarawak
Greetings 4A sifus,

I'm looking to change my engine oil soon. Hence, need someone to guide me which engine oil is the best for maximum protection for our 20V Blacktop engine? Currently, I'm running on HKS engine oil. The outcome was satisfying. But sadly there's limitations in the availability of HKS engine oil in my area.

The alternative that came to my mind was the Blitz S2 racing oil (yellow colour). Anyone ever tried this engine oil? How was the response towards our engine? I've seen various comments on the web, some say it's good, some say it degrades too fast after 3 months and the car will feel sluggish. Please advise on whether I should go for this oil or perhaps something that truly will perform for our engine while giving maximum protection.

Thanks in advance and hope to receive some feedbacks soon. :biggrin:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
i highly suggest elf lubes sir, it is good across the range, from mineral to fully synthetic

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
Lucas 5w30 or 5w40, M7 Japan 5w30 or 10w40. fully syn

both r veli good n suitable for blacktop. if owes use in town n high revving then 5w30 grade is great

if always outstation/long journey then 5w40/10w40

if u r in sarawak, normally they get from kk, sabah. only ME selling these, or else u hv to buy from kl lo :)...i sent alot to sibu,kuching,bintulu...take few days to arrive only

tonyops

Known Member
Oct 28, 2010
Sarawak
thanks guys for your prompt responses. elf seems to be a rare catch in my area too. any other recommendations?

tHrottle power

Known Member
Aug 29, 2008
wat is the age of your engine???how much mileage has it done???if it is good condition, u can consider 5w range, else better stick to 10w range. As from my experience, 4AGE 20v is has quite a hot degree engine temp. So your r better off with 10w range.

I ve try couple brand before, castrol, mobil, petronas, caltex. Currently, I m using liqui moly from Germany(10w-40). Performance wise, it is satifying, price is reasonable. If ya finding difficult to get liqui moly, u could try castrol or caltex. Both shud do fine for 4AGE.

redsider

Known Member
Aug 19, 2010
Malacca
full-syn lube is the best option for high performance engine. but then, it depends on usage. I'm really not sure about brand names, because one's way of driving is different to another, and one would stick to a brand name, which I call it loyal, or based on historic usage (i.e dad had been using that lube until the day he went off to see God, or some mechanic uncles' recommendations). I won't suggest any brand name here, but using fully synthetic 10w 40/45/50 class would do you good. no harm experimenting, as long as you get the engine oil be changed every certain kilometre, plus frequent checking on oil level. ducking under your ride sometimes might help to get initial diagnosis should there be any decrement in oil level. I've seen numerous guys who use quite a good engine oil, but still end up highway side, because their reluctance to service their ride / change the engine oil on time.

tonyops

Known Member
Oct 28, 2010
Sarawak
full-syn lube is the best option for high performance engine. but then, it depends on usage. I'm really not sure about brand names, because one's way of driving is different to another, and one would stick to a brand name, which I call it loyal, or based on historic usage (i.e dad had been using that lube until the day he went off to see God, or some mechanic uncles' recommendations). I won't suggest any brand name here, but using fully synthetic 10w 40/45/50 class would do you good. no harm experimenting, as long as you get the engine oil be changed every certain kilometre, plus frequent checking on oil level. ducking under your ride sometimes might help to get initial diagnosis should there be any decrement in oil level. I've seen numerous guys who use quite a good engine oil, but still end up highway side, because their reluctance to service their ride / change the engine oil on time.
You have a point there, most people tend to go for the brand, and loyal to it. I think so far the feedbacks i've got from the previous replies, those are some good brands to be considered. Talking about driving characteristics, it's more of a city drive and perhaps some high rev once in a while (not all d time like circuit driving..:biggrin:). I ever experienced engine oil that somehow feels heavy after using it for let's say 2 months, but so far the HKS i use feels brilliant. But sadly, they don't sell it here in Miri anymore :bawling::bawling:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
i dont suggest brand for its name sir, regarding oil, i suggest brands dat have the additive package dat i prefer and the result i obtained from it. ive tested almost all major brands on the shelves out there, from mineral to fully synthetics, and i only suggest few of them

ive even used bottles of synthetic lube for a few hours jer, because i didnt like what it did for my engine..

aziziell

1,500 RPM
May 9, 2007
such an old topic....u will know the best oil if ur car equiped with oil press meter n oil temp meter..good lubricant oil can maintains hi oil pressure n low oil temp..lucas oil quite good for this..but mahal skit laa

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
lucas is appropriately priced for racing purposes, but not for daily rides imo

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
tonyops,

Maybe you could try MOTUL.
Can select the range of viscosity & price.
Depend on your budget & performance you look for.

If you refer to maintain using the HKS product.
I think you should buy from Brunei & keep some stock ...

Just an option & suggestion.

EG9

2,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Subang Jaya
I'm using Honda full-syn oil 5w40 on 4age 20V
Widely available at Honda authorize spare part shop.
price is about RM125 for 4L pax.
The engine alway run in competition at Sepang track, performance good.

tonyops

Known Member
Oct 28, 2010
Sarawak
Thank you everyone for all of your feedbacks, I'm taking into deep consideration of all the brands that you have specified here..Deeply appreciate all the sharings that I've got so far. Further suggestions are still welcome.. :)

nappx

2,000 RPM
Sep 13, 2005
kLaNG-kEy_tEE
i'm using MOTUL turbolight 10-40 semi-syntc..lately i'm notice the engine oil become lesser after 2000KM drive (high rev)...and after long jurney for one trip..there is no leak at all and engine just run 8000KM..(i know hi revvv cause some oil burn or missing) so to avoid any oil missing..any idea what range/or type oil/etc - not thin oil type..please advise..

* to keep low temp for oil

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

What grade oil is BEST for this engine

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
i'm using MOTUL turbolight 10-40 semi-syntc..lately i'm notice the engine oil become lesser after 2000KM drive (high rev)...and after long jurney for one trip..there is no leak at all and engine just run 8000KM..(i know hi revvv cause some oil burn or missing) so to avoid any oil missing..any idea what range/or type oil/etc - not thin oil type..please advise..

* to keep low temp for oil

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

What grade oil is BEST for this engine
if owes high revv then just top up the oil little bit if too low

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
i've been using a number of motor oil before...namely...penzoil...castrol...helix...

but now i'm sticking with motul turbolight...for 1 main reason...previously all the other oil tends to "hilang" after certain period of time...i always have to check and top up...not that i'm promoting or anything...but my trial and error find that motul retains the amount of oil even after hard and long drive...

tkw60

Jun 27, 2010
PERAK
i've been using a number of motor oil before...namely...penzoil...castrol...helix...

but now i'm sticking with motul turbolight...for 1 main reason...previously all the other oil tends to "hilang" after certain period of time...i always have to check and top up...not that i'm promoting or anything...but my trial and error find that motul retains the amount of oil even after hard and long drive...
Friend try add Tufoil engine treatment next time when u change engine oil..the engine will run cooler /quieter/smoother/more powerful and save petrol also retain your engine oil level..interested let me know if ur place don't have any seller. and the Tufoil mix well with mineral/semi/fully synthetic oil without clog ur oil filter.this engine treatment really good stuff

Last edited:

A Post Every 5 Mins

hi!was wondering if any1 got solution for me..
anyway, im driving iswara and i plan to upgrade to a 195/50/15 rims, i was told its quite heavy, becoz i dont have power steering..
is it recommended to chg just to a 185/50/15 or 185/60/14 rims?
will it be very heavy if i take the 15" rims, what a bout stress on the suspension?
Thanks!!

Cheers
Peter
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience