Review: Q8 Oils

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

Everyone craves for smooth engines that will rev up to the rev limiter staying silky smooth. The engine oil is important. There are thousands of brands out there, with hundreds of blend types. Which and what to use? You may choose a particular brand of oil for its popularity or you may not even know why in the first place, but you know you want it. Some enthusiast prefer to use cheap and basic ones but with preferred specific thickness and viscosity but regularly do their oil changes to stay fresh.

So what are you? If you swear by your prefered brand and wouldn't try any other even if you're dead, think again!

Q8 Oils have not regain its popularity here until now, being seen in various motorsport events, appearing on the shelfs in garages, magazines and so on. In case you're wondering what's this Q8 Oil, why the weird name and where it came from. Alright, its actually from the Kuwait Oil Company. Q8? Kuwait? see?. Another thing is, The refinery facilities and blending process of the oils are done in Rotterdam, Belgium and United Kingdom. Finally, the oils you all get are all bottled in Leeds. So now you know.

So, how good is it?. Well, I have the pleasure of trying out the Q8 F1 Synthetic blend. I have always been the type of person who would use any type of fuel and oil, never particular, and only loyal to convenience and also emergencies. Fuel and oils at least. I don't mind mixing for top-ups.

Oil changes, I do them every 5000kms or so. Once done, smoothness is back again and that's it. I've never really paid attention to results from different oils and all but I do have favourites and I do know some great oils and also additives that really does what it says.

So i drive a done up 1989 BMW 325i. It's a great 170rwhp, 2.5litre, single cam, in-line 6 cylinder bullet-proof engine. It never fails to entertain. I'd charge down the north-south highways maintaining the high revs and playing in the redline zone all the time and never fear of it blowing up or failing on me. Though i may not be very particular between the good oils and additives I know of, but what I do know is they keep me very happy and is very capable of keeping the engine nice and silky at high rpms.

I will not tell you that Q8 is some super-duper, world's number one engine oil in the market. But it is one of the best oils around, able to compete or even surpass the super brands out there in the market, at least for the Q8 F1 series -The fully synthetic series. Why did i mention "compete" in the first place?. It is also a fact that even with its to-die-for qualities, Q8 oils is one of the cheapest engine oils around!

So, how has it been having driven 2000kms with it. Better than i'd expected! I mean, certain attrbutes that contributed to my satisfaction was the easy start up, the quieter tappets, and the engine feels really revvy, light and like its ready to pounce. I find myself playing with the pedal to amaze myself from the surges and the singing engine. Certain oils feel good in some way and some of them actually needs boost from certain oil additive in the first place! No such requirement with the Q8 F1. I don't know how it does that but what I do know is it puts that smile on my face. I was also told by the local distributor that the oils do not breakdown fast as well. That would be an added bonus.

Driving in the city is great. There may be other oils out there providing great capabilities. But for the price of the Q8 F1, it's certainly a great deal! Big bang for the buck. So what the local distributor here is trying shout is, Look here, Q8 oils are the best oils you can get for your money! But what I think is, They don't care about their margin, they want their volume!

Special Thanks to:
Autochild Glenmarie -http://www.autochild.com/
-For providing their professional oil change service.

Attachments

Last edited:

~*K*~

Known Member
Jan 4, 2005
where can get it ?
got how many type and what d price o ?

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
two of my cars r using it too...

but i only deal wit Q8 semi syn...hehe...i can get for u guys from my fren...cheaper abit...

Good Oil...recommended..giuve it a trial...no harm :biggrin:

hawick

Known Member
Jun 27, 2005
D'sara / S'ban
huakenny said:
two of my cars r using it too...

but i only deal wit Q8 semi syn...hehe...i can get for u guys from my fren...cheaper abit...

Good Oil...recommended..giuve it a trial...no harm :biggrin:
huakenny, how many type of O8 semi-syn is available?
From what i know, there is only 10W40 for Q8 semi-syn, right?
is the viscosity suitable for Wira 1.5?
i'm getting 1 soon, so better ask for more information before use. :biggrin:

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
hawick said:
huakenny, how many type of O8 semi-syn is available?
From what i know, there is only 10W40 for Q8 semi-syn, right?
is the viscosity suitable for Wira 1.5?
i'm getting 1 soon, so better ask for more information before use. :biggrin:
u can use 10w/40 for wira....

nuno

Known Member
Jul 28, 2004
rite now im using Q8 formula advan 10-40 semi,what can i say is...marvellous
its really reduce my teppet sound,engine more smooth...aah big bangs for a bucks
previously on HKS sem 10-40..can't blah la my engine with this oil

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
nuno said:
rite now im using Q8 formula advan 10-40 semi,what can i say is...marvellous
its really reduce my teppet sound,engine more smooth...aah big bangs for a bucks
previously on HKS sem 10-40..can't blah la my engine with this oil
good to hear it........

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
im using it too..very quiet on the tappets.almost due on my 2nd Q8 oil change and it still feels like i just serviced

ekinomae

Known Member
Oct 17, 2005
Wahhhh...tempting!

Is there any Q8 dealer in the east coast of pen. Malaysia?
Using Motul 4100 at the moment.

rattan

1,500 RPM
Oct 30, 2005
www.itswat.com.my
Where can i get this oil in KL ? Its really time to service my car... just came back after a 750 KM's drive... its more then 5k already....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

As the release date of the Fast Five movies comes closer, check out this interview performed by Dodge about the Fast Five movie and Dom's favorite ride, the 1970's Dodge Charger. Dom drive's nothing else but Dodges, so if he is seen in something else, that mean's he isn't going to drive!

YouTube - Behind Fast Five | Dom's Charger | 900 Horses of Detroit...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience