Wira VDO cannot revs more than 2k rpm

Wira vdo

May 9, 2021
Greetings everyone, can I ask for a little opinion. Why when i turn on ignition key ON but my throttlebody does not sound the stepper motor rotating? When i continue to start, the CEL is on and the car cannot be more than 2k rpm. When the engine running for about 30 minutes. I switched off the engine and restart CEL disappears and the symptoms continue to disappear. This will be happen once in a day only. TB and ECU is newly replaced. The wiring is new. Spark plug also i check got thre current. New fuel filter as well. Can anyone help me out on this issue. I got the code of P0121. But last time i send out to proton they change new TB. But can this TB be defect within 1 year?

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Greetings everyone, can I ask for a little opinion. Why when i turn on ignition key ON but my throttlebody does not sound the stepper motor rotating? When i continue to start, the CEL is on and the car cannot be more than 2k rpm. When the engine running for about 30 minutes. I switched off the engine and restart CEL disappears and the symptoms continue to disappear. This will be happen once in a day only. TB and ECU is newly replaced. The wiring is new. Spark plug also i check got thre current. New fuel filter as well. Can anyone help me out on this issue. I got the code of P0121. But last time i send out to proton they change new TB. But can this TB be defect within 1 year?
Is the TB changed together with TPS ? If you are using the old TPS then that explains the issue.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I think you need to test with another TB to see if the issue still there, because you mentioned warm up already all ok......

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
P0121 is TPS related and since it's a VDO it's probably the TB.

But since your TB is new it's likely something else. Btw what TB did you change to? Brand new? China OEM? Half cut? The VDO TB is one bitchass sensitive piece of crap that gets out of alignment if you accidentally knock it when you dismantle the thing for cleaning.

Anyway if you're confident of the TB, I'd suggest looking at your wiring. If the problem isn't there when the engine is hot it more than likely is a contact problem somewhere. Either in the TB/TPS or the connector on the TB side (I can't recall if there is one). It there is some wiring plugged into the TB side, try this when the engine is warm : Try to shake or wobble the wiring around the TB and see if the car reacts to that. If the car suddenly starts to sputter then you found your culprit.

If nothing happens it's more than likely you got a lemon TB.

Wira vdo

May 9, 2021
I think you need to test with another TB to see if the issue still there, because you mentioned warm up already all ok......
Yes, bro. Warm up already okay. Sometimes i will face 5 to 8 times this issues. Resting my engine will solve temporary. But when engine run about 30 to 40 minutes. This issue will go eventually.

Wira vdo

May 9, 2021
P0121 is TPS related and since it's a VDO it's probably the TB.

But since your TB is new it's likely something else. Btw what TB did you change to? Brand new? China OEM? Half cut? The VDO TB is one bitchass sensitive piece of crap that gets out of alignment if you accidentally knock it when you dismantle the thing for cleaning.

Anyway if you're confident of the TB, I'd suggest looking at your wiring. If the problem isn't there when the engine is hot it more than likely is a contact problem somewhere. Either in the TB/TPS or the connector on the TB side (I can't recall if there is one). It there is some wiring plugged into the TB side, try this when the engine is warm : Try to shake or wobble the wiring around the TB and see if the car reacts to that. If the car suddenly starts to sputter then you found your culprit.

If nothing happens it's more than likely you got a lemon TB.
I remember the proton centre said its oem TB. I also thinking to find another TB instead.

I tried shaking the connection and connector to TB. But its seems like nothing happen when my engine gets warm up. Im suspecting the TPS contact expands as my engine get hotter. Maybe. Im still troubleshooting what is the culprit.

Maybe also proton give me lemon TB. Hahaa

Reactions: Izso

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I remember the proton centre said its oem TB. I also thinking to find another TB instead.

I tried shaking the connection and connector to TB. But its seems like nothing happen when my engine gets warm up. Im suspecting the TPS contact expands as my engine get hotter. Maybe. Im still troubleshooting what is the culprit.

There's one socket on the TB itself, with the car idling cold just disconnect that connector and report back what happens. Then when the engine is warm try the same thing.

If cold it should just sputter and die off. If warm the idling should become quite erratic.

Oh another possibility you should look at is the water temp sensor and the O2 sensor. IIRC the VDO uses the water temp sensor to determine the cold idle RPM.

Last edited:

Wira vdo

May 9, 2021
There's one socket on the TB itself, with the car idling cold just disconnect that connector and report back what happens. Then when the engine is warm try the same thing.

If cold it should just sputter and die off. If warm the idling should become quite erratic.

Oh another possibility you should look at is the water temp sensor and the O2 sensor. IIRC the VDO uses the water temp sensor to determine the cold idle RPM.
During cold start when i disconnect the TB connector the engin jus running with low rpm but engine not die. During hot engine also the result is the same the idle just drop to low rpm but engine not dying.

I already check the temperature sensor but the sensor is still in good condition. O2 sensor should be find i think as without this O2 also should not make the car jerks above 2k rpm right? As my friend can can run smoothly without O2 sensor.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008

Most probably you got a lemon throttle body and TPS. Check it out with the service centre and hope they can settle for you.

Wira vdo

May 9, 2021
Most probably you got a lemon throttle body and TPS. Check it out with the service centre and hope they can settle for you.
Haha. Last time i change also rm700 the OEM TB. To bad for me want to change new TB also. Haha. Is there any way we can simulate the TPS signal to the ECU?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Haha. Last time i change also rm700 the OEM TB. To bad for me want to change new TB also. Haha. Is there any way we can simulate the TPS signal to the ECU?
It does sound like you have a bad TPS/TB. Do you have a Siemens VDO Proton friend owner? Maybe can just try do a quick swap to test it.

Reactions: minibeany

Wira vdo

May 9, 2021
It does sound like you have a bad TPS/TB. Do you have a Siemens VDO Proton friend owner? Maybe can just try do a quick swap to test it.
I will try to get my friend VDO TB? Does anyone know how to make the TPS as dummy sensor?

Wira vdo

May 9, 2021
dummy sensor? huh??
Meaning is we simulating the TPS signal only. By using another controller. Because TPS just a small board inside the TB. Do anyone ever tried modified using other cheap controller? Or in other word is tweaking the ECU. By not bother the TPS signal?