Type-R Racing win HPC 4 Hour Enduro, disappointing end for Zerotohundred.com team

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

The HPC MAM 4 Hour Endurance race came to a conclusion with Team Type-R Racing claiming overall victory over a field that saw seven of the 17 cars fail to finish but nonetheless, the event had clearly achieved its target of bridging the gap between the grassroots scene and endurance racing.

Although there were only two cars in the top IPA class, only the Type-R Racing team finished, the race, with Wong Yew Choong and Soh Kee Koon completing a total of 87 laps between them. The only other team running in the IPA class was Cybernetics Racing but unfortunately their race ended after just 19 laps.

The top spot in the second IPB class was won by Team Pentagon Racing, who finished second overall in the race. Chris Tan, Alan Wong and Megat Arizal managed to rack up 85 laps but it wasn’t enough to catch the Type-R Racing car. Red Racing took second in the IPB class and third overall while the Red Bull Rookies took third in the IPB class and fourth overall.

In the IPC class, Kegani Racing came out tops with Kenny Lee and Julian Ng piloting the team to victory and fifth overall, followed by Titan Racing in second and sixth overall with the other Kegani Racing team coming in third and seventh overall.

Zerotohundred.com were not only there to cover the action but were participating as well with our very own Tom Goh taking to the wheel of the former HPC Toyota Celica together with Shedden Ee of Exotic Mods. Unfortunately, the problems kept piling on with the alternator giving trouble before the drive shaft finally called it a day, forcing the car and the team to head for an early shower. It was a real shame too as both drivers were putting in some consistent laps before tragedy struck.

Stay tuned for a more detailed coverage of the race in a couple of days.

Attachments

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
well that really sucks, hope were gonna have better days next time! still, great that guys shown your best that day

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
I was there at the track and saw the celica putting out good laps....unfortunately didnt make it.
Any way better luck next time.

Kegani Levin Ae111 put on another spectacular win in IPC class...Great Job...:biggrin:

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Better luck next time, lads!

Oh... and nice Air Wovens, Tom ;)

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
Kegani Team took IPC 1st and 3rd... power of toyota :)

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
thanks everyone

well, what can i say, it was a bittersweet experience. First, the car had an alternator failure, discovered only after scrutineering when i had to start the car to return to our pits. a mad rush to source for an alternator was fruitful when we found 2 sources, one being Dennis Koolspyda's 1ZZ unit and the other being Harry from SD Motorsport's generous friend for borrowing it to us.

While waiting for the alternator, we had to start our qualifying session with a fresh battery removed from Shedden's Vellfire. Shedden managed to complete 2 laps and then it was my turn. By turn 4 i experienced sputtering from the engine hungry for voltage and i knew i had to return to the pits. by turn 11 the engine stalled and a quick clutch dump revived it for another 2 seconds and the engine was dead by turn 12 and i had to beach the celica.

After the ordeal, and 2 tow trucks later, i finally arrived the pits and the crew rushed to replace the alternator. Just in time for the grid. Shedden being driver 1 started the race and posting consistent 2:45s overall, and a 2:42 at some point giving chase. He was giving the Celica all it's got running on stock drivetrain. (the celica was much faster when it ran previous races with its competition final drive. unfortunately we didn't have the pleasure as it was since broken from the last race).

Consistency was key but we couldn't match Type-R prowess as the DC2s were posting under 2:40s.

1 hour passed and it was my turn to take over the baton. i had plenty of 2:47s by lap 3 to lap 9 and by end of lap 9 it was 2:47.0 (according to our very own timekeeper, Ms. Angeline Lee) But behind those laps, the car wreaks the smell of the end as the stench of transmission fluid started to come into the cockpit. I knew i had to coax the car.

Beginning of lap 10, i was already aiming for a 2:46. I thought i had a good chance as every turn seemed more satisfying but by the end of turn 9, it was the inevitable end. The driveshaft had already parted from the transmission.

It was extremely disappointing especially it being my first official race and i could finally feel the pain professional drivers go through during a premature end. but as the dust settles, I only have the team to thank for my best race experience yet.

Brian Eravelly from HPC Motorsports for providing us the Celica
Shedden for sharing the costs, being my team mate and guiding me with his vast experience.
Harry Chai of SD Motorsports for taking over the build of the Celica as well race advisory
Angeline for Time Keeping and overall directing of the race
CJ for managing the crew and rushing to KL for the replacement alternator

as well as all our sponsors

Thank you everyone for being involved in Team Zerotohundred.com X Exotic Mods for HPC - MAM 4Hr Endurance.

I certainly have learn more than i expected from the race and vow to return real soon. with a certain vengeance :)

Better luck next time, lads!

Oh... and nice Air Wovens, Tom ;)
Thanks won, those aren't air wovens, they're a pair of crocs loafers

Tom: Better luck next time and nice shorts mate!
people don't get to see me in shorts everyday, same goes for me in racing, so why not, just for kicks :)

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
you did a great job going thru it, u fought to the very last moment, thats a commendable act u did ! theres always a 2nd chance , so make sure ur prepped well for the next one

anion

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Alls well ends well Tom...but this isnt the ending yet :) Im sure there is more to come and one day I will be photographing u n the team on the podium kissing the trophy :p hahaha

Sorry I couldnt stay longer and cover the event but Im very fortunate to help u out :)

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Tom; thanks for sharing the experience. I can only imagine the disappointment (similar in some ways to reading Team 57's exit from the Gumball rally recently). I am sure there will be a next time, and I look forward to picking your thoughts when that happens.

And those are Crocs!? Holy moly, they look much better these days. I assumed after seeing those Jeremy Scotts.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
thanks again guys,

won: yeah the loafers are pretty good, i can still drive with them. but not with the crocodile faced classics :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Need help...

Who can customize kaki for GT Wing?

Any recomends...

HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience