Stripping and Polishing Aluminium Hood

arcurad

Jan 19, 2006
Hi Guys

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but I seek for a little bit of help here.

I am planning to strip my aluminum hood of its paint and to leave it in raw aluminum. Does anyone know where I can get the paint to be stripped off and then polish the hood to a mirror finish ? or at least to a shiny finish ?

Something like this.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2780/...8e16f696c4.jpg

Thanks in advance for the advise

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thedetailers.blogspot.com
Hi buddy

cant see your pic link

can u show us yr hood pic? and there is a paint remover that sells in Ace

PLS BE inform
aluminium hood is not recommended to be polished (esp without paint)...when it is heated up it will Bulged UP...and then ta ta

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Are you going to put any payer of protection above the polished surface of the aluminium?

If you polish it and leave it to the elements, it will oxidized and it would not be a nice sight. Just my opinion.

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
Are you going to put any payer of protection above the polished surface of the aluminium?

If you polish it and leave it to the elements, it will oxidized and it would not be a nice sight. Just my opinion.
i dont think aluminum alloy will oxidize that easily...but i could be wrong... :hmmmm:

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
?????? u got a cast aluminium alloy hood? very heavy le

mind to share a pic
what i meant was that...when working with metal...any metal...most likely it will be an alloy...(a mixture of 2 or more metal)...its either to strengthen them or to prohibit oxidation...take steel for example...it is a mixture of iron and carbon...(and maybe there is some other stuff too)...it is highly unlikely you use pure metal to produce something...be it a tin can,aluminum foils or in this case a car hood...

and one thing i know for a fact is...honda nsx chassis is made from aluminum alloy...and it is not so heavy...it lighter than steel...before the age of carbon fiber...aluminum is the way to go in terms of weight reduction...and back to the thread starter question...my best guess is his car came factory equipped with aluminum hood... :adore:

Last edited:

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
leave it to rust! any modded car would look good when rusted =D

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
whoaah...i like...rat rod look...i been meaning to do this to my hood...i believe rusted is the new carbon fiber...and that vice grip clipper to grip the bumper is it...???!!! hehehe

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
im totally doing the rat look hahaha

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Aluminum oxidizes very easily and fast. Within a matter of minutes in fact. that's why most aluminum surface you see has a matte look. It automatically oxidizes. This is not a bad thing as it actually oxidizes only the top and gives overall protection to the whole piece of aluminium. Not sure what is you project though.

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
i think what you meant was anodized aluminium. That would require a process called anodizing which forms a harden layer on top of the aluminium. Wanna know more bout anodizing, google it ya, based on my limited knowledge is that it requires anod and katod and electricity and a tube of liquid and electricity and some magic...... added with some sorcery.

Oxidization is different from anodizing.

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thedetailers.blogspot.com
wah low yeah .....another nutty professor thread ke????????

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all,

Today I noticed my RH drive shaft and lower arm has marked like been touching and it quite clear. I wonder what could be cause this? Is there any issue if uses aftermarket abs (Im using aftermarket abs)? Or is there any other different car's drive shaft that been installed from previous owner?

Thanks for the advice in advance!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience