Sport spring on standard absorbers

hex999

Known Member
Oct 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
I recently changed my absorbers kayaba, and i now i intend to lower my ride to 2 fingers. Im using 18 inch rims on a cefiro a33, Im kinda worried would the tires scratch my fender on a heavy load. Another dilemma im having is using sport springs on standard absorbers bad? i read that it will cause the absorber to always be compressed and would spoil fast.
Or should i just change to adjustable? but than i believe i will lose comfort and my new absorbers gone to waste :bawling:
I also read somewhere that with a set of eibach springs, i do not have to change the absorbers?
any suggestions? other alternatives would be preferred :)

Last edited:

leynye yamin

Known Member
Sep 30, 2011
Sabah Sandakan
You can use original absorbers woth sport spring, no problem, only thing is the rubber bumpstop must cut a portion off to compensate with the drop.dont cut too much though, you will end up jumpy cars.

hex999

Known Member
Oct 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
So how do i prevent a jumpy car? Forgot to mention that my mech said that he had lowered a same model of my car before and if changing all the springs, he said it will look a bit retarded, the back slightly lower than front, he advice me to just change the 2 front and see how it looks first.
But would this caused my cars handling to be bad?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yes you can still combine sport lower springs with std shocks most of the time but not all. Many sport springs are designed to be compatible with the std shocks as they have only slightly higher/stiffer spring rates (the best example I've used so far is the Tanabe NF series). Eibach Pro Kit also still can even though it's a bit stiffer than Tanabe NF. However some sport springs have very high spring rate/stiff and therefore might result in overpowering the dampening capability of your std shocks and hence you get bumpy/bouncing ride quality and your absorbers will get overworked and will get broken much sooner.

Btw actually the sequence should be to change springs first before big rims, because finding the spring that match one's car is much more difficult than choosing rims. So once you find the right spring to match your car, only then you find the rims that can fit your car after it's lowered so you'd not risk scrapping the fenders with your tires/rims. If rims first like now, then when you find the spring to use, but then can still risk the tires scrapping the fenders etc, but you already pay a lot of money for your rims, so get stuck. :) But if you buy adjustable coil over kit, then would be less of a problem.

hex999

Known Member
Oct 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
What SPRING rate number would be the best choice for more towards comfort and prevent that bouncy feeling?
thanks for the advice btw bro

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Ok thanks for the advice, what brand is reputable?
Are gab springs sufficient?
Never used GAB before. So far I've only used Eibach Pro Kit, APEX (forgot the type), and Tanabe NF and to me the Tanabe gives the closest comfort to stock, but all are good.

hex999

Known Member
Oct 27, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Ive just change only my front springs. Tried changing all 4
and it made my front higher than rear.
Now im wondering is this setup
dangerous for high speed cornering? Not those sharp corners,
Like corners in highways :)

Last edited:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm theoretically your back end will be more loose especially during hard braking, hence you might have more tendency to over steer. So just be more careful and ready for quick counter steers & corrections. :biggrin:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If you have only change the front, what is the spring rate compare to your rear standard?

beatnik

500 RPM
Nov 28, 2004
Visit site
So far I've only used Eibach Pro Kit, APEX (forgot the type), and Tanabe NF and to me the Tanabe gives the closest comfort to stock, but all are good.
All these are good springs, but Eibach is rather hit-or-miss, it may be good on a particular car but not so on others, but most comment i read it is a bit bumpy. Tein is good too.

Avoid GAB & other cheap springs like a plague.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Need to respray my car inside & outside. Has anyone here got any good recommended place where i can go?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience