Silicone Wipers vs Rubber Wipers - Which is better? (Open discussion)

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Heard that the China mari ones are very very cheap. Wholesale at RM3 to 4 each. One time I got from the Store at RM8.50
Accessory shop usually RM20 each...huge profit....

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
SWV!!! Do you believe it? I have a set of it still wiping on my windscreen from 2007. LOL

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm...lets take myvi for an example..one set of svw cost RM80. Pasar malam silicone cost RM20. Durability: svw lifetime warranty, YYC used one for 5 years. Pasar silicone malam I would assume 3 years, although mine still intact and wipe very well after 2 years+.

Dat means to match RM80, we can get 4 sets of pasar malam silicone, which would last for 3x4 = 12 years. So if I'm gonna use my car for more than 12 years, then I'm getting svw. If not, might gamble with pasar malam first haha..

Dun get me wrong ya...I'm just comparing for the sake of my kedekut-ness and taking the gamble. Moreover, Not all pasar malam might work the same as the one I'm having. Btw, the pasar malam wiper I bought were printed Bosch in its box. Don't know if it is ori or ciplak or maybe smuggled, I dint regret getting it haha. Anyone using pasar malam wiper here? Maybe can share your experience?

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm...lets take myvi for an example..one set of svw cost RM80. Pasar malam silicone cost RM20. Durability: svw lifetime warranty, YYC used one for 5 years. Pasar silicone malam I would assume 3 years, although mine still intact and wipe very well after 2 years+.

Dat means to match RM80, we can get 4 sets of pasar malam silicone, which would last for 3x4 = 12 years. So if I'm gonna use my car for more than 12 years, then I'm getting svw. If not, might gamble with pasar malam first haha..

Dun get me wrong ya...I'm just comparing for the sake of my kedekut-ness and taking the gamble. Moreover, Not all pasar malam might work the same as the one I'm having. Btw, the pasar malam wiper I bought were printed Bosch in its box. Don't know if it is ori or ciplak or maybe smuggled, I dint regret getting it haha. Anyone using pasar malam wiper here? Maybe can share your experience?
This is actuarial calculation! Fuiyoh.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm I'm also now looking for replacement of my Livina wipers. Almost 2 years since bought new, now it wipes like crap! I bought a set of the cheapest silicone inserts replacements (just the rubber only) for 10rm each and it just sucks! Used it for a day or or two and immediately put back the original worn out one! Maybe fake silicone after all.
Any suggestions where to find a good but cheap replacement inserts only?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Interesting..how come those PIAA and Bosch wipers are so expensive??Brand name?
Yup, branded..

---------- Post added at 07:52 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

Sometimes could be same product. Higher price covers warranty. Like Dura Edge used to be lifetime warranty, then later 5 years, now I see is 2 years only...:banghead:
I am like you, always trying out some ciplak products, but so far my silicone wipers also doing well...

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:52 AM ----------

Hmm I'm also now looking for replacement of my Livina wipers. Almost 2 years since bought new, now it wipes like crap! I bought a set of the cheapest silicone inserts replacements (just the rubber only) for 10rm each and it just sucks! Used it for a day or or two and immediately put back the original worn out one! Maybe fake silicone after all.
Any suggestions where to find a good but cheap replacement inserts only?
I used to use insert replacement, but of hard silicone, but did not last long. Now on soft silicone but whole replacement not inserts. So far so good.....

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
Interesting..how come those PIAA and Bosch wipers are so expensive??Brand name?
a fren of mine said in japan it cost less then rm50 for PIAA brand...
u not just pay for the brand in malaysia...but also the marketing campaigns! :listen:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
u not just pay for the brand in malaysia...but also the marketing campaigns! :listen:
I've welded my PIAA wipers to my car. LOL.. They last forever and are very good! They leave this layer silicon on the windscreen which works awesome with the wiper. Only problem is if you change windscreen the wiper tends to work less well. Sigh. Now I have to change the whole wiper arm. :biggrin:

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
I've welded my PIAA wipers to my car. LOL.. They last forever and are very good! They leave this layer silicon on the windscreen which works awesome with the wiper. Only problem is if you change windscreen the wiper tends to work less well. Sigh. Now I have to change the whole wiper arm. :biggrin:
i also bought a pair of PIAA wiper for my wife's viva...the normal ones, doesnt want to attract anybody to my viva.
coz wanted something dat shud serve well, as last time only wifey drives dat car.
still wiping very well...until today from year 2010...if not mistaken...or earlier then 2010.
dats y my fren ask me about the price ere and he told me the price in japan... :banghead:

btw guys...just found this on the net...
not sure whether this works or not...

http://www.groupme.my/products/deal/wedboo/wiper-wizard2/

Last edited:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
I had PIAA wipers for all my cars...the 1st set I had was on a Atos (circa 2003) sold off 2009....the wipers was still in good condition on the day it was sold....the ones on my pick up is now 5 years plus already......I bought the wipers in Japan and usually I will buy a few pairs since it's super cheap when they have sales....

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Welded? Yah! I know, my friend's one got stolen......:banghead:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Welded? Yah! I know, my friend's one got stolen......:banghead:
Use alcohol to wipe off the PIAA logo too. So incognito, very good. Plus welding it make it impossible to steal. Too expensive to be stolen in 15 seconds. I used to be so good at swapping out wipers, my wife would pass me the wipers and start to walk back into the house and I'd be right behind her. She'd ask what about the wipers, I'd tell her already changed looo.

Swiping wipers was the big thing when silicon wipers were new. Bloody irritating hence the weld.

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Yeah you are right...

Marketing campaigns with bikini ladies bending down etc...

Maybe tulang belakang sakit wor?

Bending on cars, bending on lorries, bending to pick up fallen wipers etc....:banghead::adore:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Went and check out PIAA wipers...cost RM178, different size different price. Cant remember the one i saw is which size...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i want to diy wiring of amplifier,but dunno how to remover the board...and want to change the steering but cant find any skru to dismantle...pls help me..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience