Recon/used Porsche Cayman-what to look for?

DR78

500 RPM
Aug 26, 2005
subang
Hi all,

I know of someone who wanted to get a cayman. But he is confused and find it tough to decide between the 3.4 cayman s and the 2.7 cayman. Which one is more problematic? Is it ok for daily driving? What should he look for when buying a used one? Its tough to find anything over the web regarding this issues.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Barbarian

500 RPM
Nov 10, 2004
KL
www.myjsoc.com
cayman is meant to be daily used.... very reliable car. Do go for the Cayman S... fuel consumption is high though.... spare parts are expensive..... well, that's because it's a Porsche.....

go to Planet-9 Home to find out more about this car....

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
as far as i know, both the Cayman and the S are pretty reliable and being porsches, they are very well built, except for the odd Cayenne and Panameras. The 2.7 is nice and brisk on its own. the 3.4 is in its own league.

Is he looking for a stock or a done up one?

DR78

500 RPM
Aug 26, 2005
subang
Hey thanks Tom and Barbarian for your input. Due to daily driving, he prefers the 2.7L cayman. He is a "stock" kind of fella and not into mods but he loves nice big rims though. I think he is still figuring out of what to look at when viewing the car. I guess basic stuff like signs of major accident, oil leak, suspension, transmission etc is ok. But are there any more specific problem with the Cayman apart from the common problems that any car can have and should be specifically looked at?

Thanks again. Tom hope u could recommend any good cayman if u come across one.

Cheers.

Have a nice day guys.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

Oh ya. Thanks alot Barbarian for the link. Very useful indeed. Cheers bro

Barbarian

500 RPM
Nov 10, 2004
KL
www.myjsoc.com
no no... get the 3.4....

lodsa options on the cayman and it's not easy to find one that's fully loaded... Bose system, pcm, multi function steering, cd changer, heated seats, navi, parking sensors and spot seats are really nice to have..... things like the sports exhaust(with electronic valve), pasm, ceramic brakes and memory seats are rare options....

keisukosan

Known Member
Aug 18, 2006
Common problem for cayman is caster arm,oil leak will be less but have to see the car mileage drive for how far it goes,change transmission fluid on time,want beta respond go for 3.4ltr,as manual that so far just see 1 on malaysia.

Barbarian

500 RPM
Nov 10, 2004
KL
www.myjsoc.com
I've read that cayman is rated most reliable car for a few years... sharing the top spot with camry.... I think the service interval for atf is 100k km or longer!!!! cost me around RM1.5k to change atf and the filter......weak link for the cayman is the water pump and the oil separator.... I personally have not experience any problem with mine... used for 1 year now and tracked twice.....

keisukosan

Known Member
Aug 18, 2006
For far that not done of the water pump before,not just cayman will have the oil seperator problem,even 996 or 997 also will that kind of problem and not all of them will have this kind problem so once you really need to buy please check it carefully those water hose at the engine bay there.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Everyone seems to like it but i see it as just another proton with a different name. IMO i dont think that Persona is going to sell successfully, just as the proton canselor ( or how do you spell this ). I was hoping to see another model completely. I havent seen it in real life yet so i cant quite judge, but still i have only seen a canselor once since its launch. anyone seen a canselor more than once on the roads?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience