RE rebuilds - the inside story!

13btt

Known Member
May 31, 2004
Sydney, AUS
www.reclub.com.my
Have you ever wondered what your rotary engine looks like inside?

Here are some photos of the rebuilds we have completed to date. You'll notice that it is very important that all component parts are cleaned to a high standard to ensure high compression, smoothness and long term reliability of each component part.

I have also included a photo that shows a destroyed aluminium rotor housing after the apex seals shattered and scored the internal surface - nasty!

One other photo details the effect of allowing your rotary engine to sit in the rain (i.e. like at a chop shop or similar. Now that photo is a little extreme but still gives you an idea how rust seizes the apex & side seals into the rotor - no compression there folks!@

Happy viewing!

Last edited:

13btt

Known Member
May 31, 2004
Sydney, AUS
www.reclub.com.my
More photos

Here is the second batch of photos...you can see the engine coming together starting with the front housing, then the front rotor & housing and the centre iron housing in place.

Is your engine starting to make sense??

Last edited:

13btt

Known Member
May 31, 2004
Sydney, AUS
www.reclub.com.my
Ok this is the last batch of photos...

You can now see the "sandwich" coming together nicely and is almost complete with both rotors and all housings except for the rear iron housing in place - notice how shiny the internal surface of the rotor housing is.

You can see in the photo the beers in the background - the more beers the better the engine 8-)

I have then included a side view of all core components assembled. Finally the engine is ready to ship.

The last two photos show a damaged aluminium rotor housing due to broken apex seals and the water damaged rotor of another engine that was subject to rain!

saru-kun

Known Member
Jan 4, 2004
PJ
saru-kun.blogspot.com
Clean slate looking for high quality paint to cover it in glorious splendour.

Glen....I wanna be your apprentice...... hehehe

Cheers

arsenalboi

1,000 RPM
Aug 25, 2006
u rebuilding any soon? can i be apprentice? very keen to learn about how it goes together.

13btt

Known Member
May 31, 2004
Sydney, AUS
www.reclub.com.my
Last time we charged about RM5k to RM6k. This initially may seem expensive but cheaper in the long run since our engines defintely last longer the 1 year of other 'inferior' rebuilds with my ex RX-7 still running around 5 years on since build.

I regret to inform all that we are no longer building engines due to time constraints on my part and quite simply the money doesn't justify my time and effort - sorry. The 15 odd engines we built were fun and enjoyable for the most part but, though not enough.

Best regards,
Glen :shades_smile:

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
then you should give a free class on engine rebuilding.
all those who are interest join together... for a day.. from morning till night... rebuild and necessary mod to ensure engine efficiency and lasting.

the legacy should continue on.. :) ..... RE lives forever....

RERider

Aug 7, 2004
Putrajaya
Dont think we can do it in 1 day. You need a fundamental knowledges, a good mechanical background and technics.
I believe when KC and Glen started to rebuild back to few years ago they had many studies, practices, the trial and error. These made them have their own skills now. Not to mention how much time, effort & money they had spent on.

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
possible........we don't need to make sure all attendees know how to build the car within a day.

but a demonstration and things to be aware of during rebuild. also the best known method developed through experience.

all these one day can gao tim... i provide beers :)

the rest will all depend on the attendees if they want to start rebuilding themselves and gain their own experience.

theseira

Known Member
Oct 18, 2006
Cool, count me in. Alchemis brings the beers....everyone else bring some food and dessert and we can all have a pot luck meal while understanding the rebuilding methods of a rotary engine. Hee Hee!! All we need now is some of Tsuchiya-sans girls to hold up the boards. "Just joking".:mouth_closed:

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
i wish it was that easy. it is a time consuming project. no way in hell it can be done in one day. cleaning alone takes 1 full day.

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
hmmm interesting.... maybe we need a 2 days class then :P

BabyGodzillaGTi-R

Known Member
Nov 24, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
I want to learn how to build rotaries =). So any good workshop manuals to start with?
I'm practically a dummy when it comes to engines.
Ok i know how to hold a spanner and theory bits. But bugger all practical.