questions about EGR....

yytellmey

Oct 11, 2005
Hi to everyone.

Exhaust Gas Recurculation (EGR) is actually a small valve that recirculate a small amount of exhaust gas back into the intake manifold.

They were designed for that because some ppl claims that by sending warmer gas into the combustion chamber, the air/fuel mix does not have to do as much work to heat up, and your engine runs more efficiently or even has a cooling effect on combustion temperatures that helps reduce the formation of oxides of nitrogen.

-----

Ok my question is here:

Recently i saw some car modify magazine (Taiwan)

They have a DIY section that they teach us how by-pass the EGR valve. They claimed that the EGR is useless because it recirculate unclean/burned air into your engine. It defeats the purpose of having air filters (air filters to filter the air to make it clean).

And they claims that by by-passing the EGR, engine will have more clean air to burn thus increase in horse power (slight increase)

But i have did some "google" research about EGR, some website claims that if the EGR valve is closed (by-passed), it will cause Detonation and Spark Knock. Is this true?

The reason i asked this question is, i wanted to by-pass my EGR valve (its very easy to DIY, even kids can do it) but i dont dare to do it. Im affraid of side effects (damage to engine, heavily increase in fuel consumption...etc)

And 1 more last question, by-passing EGR is legal or its illegal in Malaysia? Im affraid if i by-passed it and some JPJ/police pop my hood up, thats gonna be my end.... :frown:

Thx in advice.

------

Here are some pics of EGR Valve:

Its pretty easy to locate, it usually looks like a UFO that is gold in color....

Last edited:

MiTec-i

500 RPM
May 2, 2004
Kay L
www.teamfuze.rules.it
EGR is important to get the best in performance while stil maintaning low fuel consumption and exhaust emissions.
correct me if i'm wrong loe

justin_vspec

500 RPM
Mar 12, 2005
Subang Jaya
Visit site
I've tried it on my car before..A friend told me that it will increase performance and all lah..Well honestly I don't see any difference by doing so..But then you can always try it out and find out about yourself!! =)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys!

anybody know how to modify waja front seat from rotation adjuster to simply slide like normal seat.
This waja seat make me crazy when i want to adjust the angle...look like stupid when u need to rotate they adjuster.

anyone know how to change from rotater to slider?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience