PU Rubber repair

everblur

Known Member
Mar 9, 2006
I understand that PU rubber material is very hard to repair but not impossible. Does anyone have any idea on what works well with PU?

My PU bumper had a big hole due to the ex-owner's oversized muffler. Most shops didn't know how to fix it except for a welder who suggested to cover the hole by riveting a piece of aluminium sheet and knocking it to shape. Indeed it was a good job! After repainting, it looked like nothing has ever happened!

Just wondering if you guys have tried other glues, fillers, bondo etc to fix PU stuff? I heard resin/fiberglass work work with PU... Please post them here :regular_smile:

MajPayne

Known Member
Jan 24, 2006
Selangor
dude, one of the best attributes about PU, i think is its versatility versus the rigidity of fiberglass, its also smooth i think, therefore it'll be hard for bondo or filler to fix by slapping on like syrup on pancakes. i think it all depends on where and how big is the damage were looking at.

Correct me if im wrong guys, but if the surface area of the PU is easily bendable and smooth, If we affix any other material thanks rigid on it, wouldnt it make that area hard like...say fiber?....

On the other hand if its a small area, there might not be any consequences...right?

just wondering

everblur

Known Member
Mar 9, 2006
Hmmm.... maybe the thin aluminium piece trick would work after all... I'll give it a shot...

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
well, if you r using bondo or filler...repair surface prep is important. try roughing up the adjacent surface of the dameged spot. Then get some degreaser and wipe the area clean before slapping the bondo stuff.

if the bumper is accesible from the back, put some plastic backing to ensure the bondo last longer.

ken12292703

Drives a shopping cart...
Nov 14, 2003
SoMeWhErE
Last time my car's original bumper banged on a pillar. Cracked, so i sent it to an under a tree mechanic. He uses steel plates and heat both the steel and bumper. He heat the steel until red colour but didn't melt and he heat up the bumper but not too hot. Stick it like glue... Hahahah! Damn.. Amazing.

Used for 2 year plus also still intact.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

happen early this morning...at tmn sri andalaz klang..
inside my frenz house..car using good alarm like hp 1..donno the name la..
things dat got stolen..; e1 ecu,emanage,profec2,cable plug,blowoff,smarttag..
they even took his shoes also..damn la...
becarefull to others livin nearby ....few cases if im not mistaken....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience