Porsche’s meanest street car, the 911 GT3 RS 4.0, takes to the road w/video

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

The words of Porsche’s head of GT Cars, Andreas Preuninger, pretty much sums it up, “This is possibly the best RS car Porsche has created.” It certainly has all the credential of a proper race car with a naturally aspirated 4-liter flat-six boxer mill pushing out 500hp and revving to over 8,000rpm. Throw in a Nurburgring lap time of 7:27 and intensive weight saving and you just have yourself the wildest street machine from Porsche.

Courtesy of the extreme diet that includes lightened carpets and carbon fiber hoods, the 911 GT3 RS 4.0 weighs in at a scant 1,360kg. It also features front dive plates for increased down force, contributing to the maximum down force of 195kg over the front axles at top speed.

The car is very different over the regular GT3 as it’s built as being the closest thing to street-legal a track car can be. The 4-liter crankshaft from the race car is carried over to this one, providing for the increased displacement of 4-liters, as the name suggests.

Even the suspension struts are made from aluminium to reduce weight. Out back, the rear axle has additional ball-joints at the lower points to increase its reaction to driver input. The car also marks the last variation of the 997 to be built as following this, the new model will take over soon. Exclusivity will be maintained as only 600 units will be built.

Hit play to watch Preuninger explain more about Porsche’s street-legal race car and drool over what could possibly the meanest thing to drive on the road today.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RXHNJGf3A5k" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="349"></iframe>

Source: YouTube and Autoblog

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I just bought air filter. Now want to make heatshield to prevent sucking hot air. Need all shifus here to teach me how to DIY heatshield.
This pic is about the same with my car. Big air ram with simota filter.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/AhLunn/2100105_25_full.jpg
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience