Polo TSI vs 308 Turbo vs Fiesta S vs CRZ

Best All Rounder - Power, Fuel, Fun, Resale, Reliability.

• Polo TSI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 308 Turbo

• Fiesta S

• CR-Z

• Total voters

tuned

Noob
Jul 4, 2005
Shah Alam
Dilemma...

4 Nice rides, only 1 affordance...

Any advise? Pros and Cons of the mentioned rides? Owners feedback?

Main consideration would be

1. Decent Power and Fun to Drive?
2. Good Fuel Consumption
3. Space
4. Maintenance Costs, Parts Availability and Reliability
5. Resale value

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Honda CR-Z hits point 1,2,4 & 5. Space wise, front is spacious just the rear space is more
suitable for kids or smaller size adults. Hybrid = Lower Fuel Consumption xD..

Acceptable anyhow. Spacious then 308 Turbo will be the one :biggrin:

tuned

Noob
Jul 4, 2005
Shah Alam
Being a current honda owner looking for a 2nd car... the CRZ does comes up with some bonus points... but the rear seats seems a lil' less practical...and the doubt of how reliable /affordable the hybrids really are... hence the other choices comes around... on the other hand, I luv the way the car looks, the seat, driving position is sweeettt....

Hmmm hence dilemma...

Also, comes a bit of tempt to get something turbocharged, hence the first 2 conti choices... but the latter seems to lack resale value and past peugeot experiences wasn't that good either... but again, it's spacious...

The ford seems fun, but but possibly lack the tune-able appeal.. (not sure, coz have not own a ford before)...

paohyean

Known Member
Jul 28, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
May I suggest another car??

Ford Focus TDCi

This car should fulfill your first 3 criteria just fine.
The last 2 I wouldn't be so sure off.
Perhaps someone in this forum who has experience with this car can chip in an opinion or two??

tuned

Noob
Jul 4, 2005
Shah Alam
The Focus TDCI is a tad beyond my budget..

Will see what the owners has to feedback.. :D

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Polo TSI - A mini Golf, with good solid built quality, nice and firm ride, handles pretty well - Certain transmission failures locally
308 Turbo - value for money for the power, space and good family car - surprisingly fast declining resale value
Fiesta S - pretty small, good handling, built quality questionable
CRZ - fuel efficiency second to none, sporty but maybe more nervous than Polo and Fiesta, 2 doors, good looking, honda reliability

tuned

Noob
Jul 4, 2005
Shah Alam
Hi Tom,

What an honour to get your reply...

Polo TSI - Yup, I like the fact that it's like a mini golf, and the ECU and premature turbo problems I read from the Polo Forum is scary...

Thanks for your input.. ;)

paohyean

Known Member
Jul 28, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The Focus TDCI is a tad beyond my budget..

Will see what the owners has to feedback.. :D
Actually I don't think the price of the TDCi is too far off from the Polo TSi or the 308 Turbo..
Of all these cars, I think Fiesta S is the only model below 100k..

dekaiser

Known Member
Jun 25, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
owned a polo tsi for the past 1 year... what can i say it is reliable and have got some grunt into it even in stock form...the DSG tranny failure is an isolated issue...btw, you got 5 years unlimited mileage warranty...tranny failure no problem...just send it back to any VW SC with their premium road breakdown assist and they'll fix it for you FOC...and one thing i like the most is...the service interval period...15K KM...

p/s:after finish the warranty period...planning to swap the engine with more powderful polo GTI 1.4 engine...hehehe..

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
hi tuned, my pleasure,

to be honest, i think you need to decide the ultimate reason for your next car, although you have highlighted the attributes that dictate the car, you'd still need to state the purpose of the car. Then again if you're here, chances are you're looking at performance, potential and looks.

leaving the CR-Z, Fiesta and Polo.

I vote for the either the CR-Z or the Polo if family is not a priority

tuned

Noob
Jul 4, 2005
Shah Alam
Hi dekaiser n Tom,

Appreaciate your info and advice.

Will test drive all 4 to make the final decision.

Dekaiser bro,

How true are the ecu n turbo failure issues? Read them from the Polo forums.

Last edited:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
jdm = win

jeff_sin

Known Member
Jan 18, 2006
What is the point of this poll? come from diff cat group

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

TS should go back to honda, others 3 continental branding is not suitable for him to consider as resell value, live once.

tuned

Noob
Jul 4, 2005
Shah Alam
Thanks Tom/Admin for the Poll.

I wanted something not-too-small, yet fun and nippy to drive for a Daily Commute, and possibly some weekend fun drives with some car buddies, along with some side consideration of maintenance and resale value (not cheapo, just wanted to be financially viable). Family isn't really much of an issue, as this is a 2nd car, as I've already have a FD2 Civic to do the job.

Anyway, I managed to test drive the Fiesta and CR-Z yest, and checked out a Polo GTI, while NASIM has stopped taking orders for 308 Turbo as a facelift replacement is expected soon.

Here's my findings (no pun intended):

CR-Z
I love the looks and the fact that it is 6 speed stick shift. This was the 1st car I tested. Sporty outlook especially in white, while the interior is rather spacious and comfortable up front with plenty of leg room, while the rear, there's isn't really much of a person that you can fit in there (unless they have no head or legs :P). But honestly, i did consider if I could fit my baby carrier or possibly a child seat in the back later on due to the availability of ISOFIX.

The drive, clutch is pretty light, and the engine is smooth. Insulation is pretty good, with some hint of exhaust noise from the back. Suspension is surprisingly comfortable, even for the back (yup, claustrophobically squeeze myself in horizontally to try). On Eco mode, the power quite dampened, while on 'Sport', response seems much better, however there's isn't much off a kick, even when I tried dragging it on a higher rpm which I had expected it to have.

Fiesta
The car was impressive, in the showrooms, especially with the hoo-haa features like voice command and phone call etc. It has a dual clutch transmission, so I admit I had quite some expectations before driving it. But as soon as I drove it, I was really disappointed with how it drives and felt. Gear changes were fast, too fast for my liking, and in situations of overtaking, it seems to be deciding which gear to downshift too which is quite annoying. Suspension could be too stiff or the 16" wheels weren't right for the light body weight.

But in the end, surprisingly, I think I've decided on something that wasn't on the list.

The Polo GTI.
Went to couple of the vw showrooms, with the thought to check out a Polo TSI for test drive, and was surprise to know there's a major shortage supply of Polo TSI and GTI, as demand was overwhelming, even the display and test drive units were sold and VW Malaysia has temporarily halt order taking for them. Fortunately, one of them had a Polo GTI and TSI in stock, which they were kind enough to let us have a look. We = My Wife and I, were in LOVE.

Now the challenge is getting a test drive for it before slipping in a booking. :D

Last edited:

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
i would say go for polo GTi.. i've tested the polo TSi.. and the power and handling was just superb..