Pirelli’s new F1 rubbers peak out

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

The curtains may have closed on the 2010 Formula One season but more importantly, it also marked the end of Bridgestone’s participation in the top tier of motorsports as a tyre supplier, paving the way for Pirelli to take over the reigns of rubber maker for 2011.

Even after the champagne has dried up, the teams never actually left the Yas Marina Circuit, staying back to give the new rubbers a good running in and return some valuable feedback to Pirelli before the new season is flagged off.

Once again, the tyre supplier market will be monopolized, although this time by Pirelli. The heated tyre wars of the past, where a tyre could make or break a championship, raged on until recently, when Michelin left the Formula One fraternity in 2007, leaving Bridgestone as the sole supplier until now.

While it has been 19 years since a Formula One machine last wore Pirelli rubber, the Italian marquee has seen some success in the series, with the very first Grand Prix winner, Nino Farina, crossing the finish line in his Alfa Romeo rolling on Pirellis.

Over the course of Formula One, Pirelli-wearing cars have won 43 times out of the 199 races contested. The most recent one being the 1991 Canadian Grand Prix that was won by Nelson Piquet.

As testing is still underway, the Pirelli rubbers have been getting some good reviews, most notably from 2010 champ Sebastian Vettel.

Source:
Jalopnik and Getty Images

Attachments

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
As testing is still underway, the Pirelli rubbers have been getting some good reviews, most notably from 2010 champ Sebastian Vettel.
Vettel got two punctures in morning's session alone :hmmmm:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
maybe they experiment with low-tyre pressure plus with low track temp. the tyre tends to leak air during heavy g-load and puncture??? :hmmmm:

A1diablo

Nov 17, 2006
They said there were a lot of debris on track and they noticed cuts on tyres on several runners. They said that Vettel's punctures were also due to debris

kevindass

Oct 26, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
they should have at least 2 tire suppliers.. like those days Michelin and Bridgestone combating on the track.. at least it would contribute some excitement.. but hope 2011 season rules and regulation would make it more interesting..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

the title juz to attract people...hehhe i juz wanna ask you guys... what to do with my nissan 280z fairlady car... maybe bodykits, performance blablabla... undercar neon.. anything u think that will make my car goes boom!!! here a screen shot of my car.. stock hehe

im at kelantan.. if u guys can help... owh. i wanna noe the pricing of anything u said too... :) thanks for helping in advance...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience