Need Opinion on Fun Hatchback to Drive

Han_neversolo

Aug 10, 2018
Hi, need opinion from everyone here.

I am looking to buy a fun hatchback to drive (budget under RM 100k). So far I have listed Jazz, Mazda 2, Polo, Peugeot 208 and Fiesta.

1. Jazz - The most practical but kinda boring.

2. Mazda 2 - Personally haven't test drive yet but based on review, seems to be a great fun car to drive.

3. Polo - So far the best car I have ever tested. Currently my first choice.

4. Peugeot 208 - Quite new to me, need opinions on this. Not sure whether it uses dry clutch or wet clutch. Any comment on their maintenance fee and after sales service? I saw quite a number of bad reviews on Peugeot.

5. Fiesta - Probably won't consider it as it uses dry clutch. I don't think dry clutch works well here.

I could be wrong on my opinion on the car listed. Need opinions from all the sifu here :adore:

P/S: I don't really care about resell value and all those fancy equipment (such as Push start button and LED stuff).

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

I am looking to buy a fun hatchback to drive (budget under RM 100k). So far I have listed Jazz, Mazda 2, Polo, Peugeot 208 and Fiesta.

2. Mazda 2 - Personally haven't test drive yet but based on review, seems to be a great fun car to drive.

4. Peugeot 208 - Quite new to me, need opinions on this. Not sure whether it uses dry clutch or wet clutch. Any comment on their maintenance fee and after sales service? I saw quite a number of bad reviews on Peugeot.

5. Fiesta - Probably won't consider it as it uses dry clutch. I don't think dry clutch works well here.

I could be wrong on my opinion on the car listed. Need opinions from all the sifu here :adore:

P/S: I don't really care about resell value and all those fancy equipment (such as Push start button and LED stuff).
Must be new car is it? If used car is still ok, then I'd suggest Suzuki Swift Sport ZC32S manual! Guaranteed more fun and faster than any of your choices above with good reliability too (unlike those European cars in your list!).

Reactions: Han_neversolo

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006

you forget to add the king on the road... latest Myvi:rock:
Another things.. Fiesta running on timing belt, changing that time will blown your pocket

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

1.Not very fun to drive. Super practical.
2.Fun in the corners, otherwise insufficient power
3.Not very fun when the car breaks down, the 1.6L NA also not very powerful, same problem as #2. I'd say the #2 is better in corners than this. I didn't drive this before, I drove the Golf, and the Mazda 2 is more nimble, responsive to throw around, I guess less weight.
4.Peugeot 208. Nice interior, nice cabin feel, I'm scared of Naza's service or lack thereof. I've not driven it so I don't know. But you can google peugeot and depollution error, and feel the horror of Peugeot owners.
5.Dry clutch memang got problem.

If you're talking about under RM100k for a brand new car, you can throw Suprima in as well. I would probably buy the Mazda 2. My friend owns the Fiesta, the dry clutch memang not smooth. And there's a sensor under the car (forgot what sensor) so if kena splash from mild flood, will rosak and not under warranty.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

My own opinion :

1. Jazz - Meh.
2. Mazda 2 - Meh. But better than #1. Waiting list for this car is stupidly long. I heard it's reached 3 months now.
3. Polo - I don't like the TSI. Very problematic back then, not sure about now. The GTI is nice but feels like a heavy car. I could be wrong.
4. Peugeot 208 - Have you not learnt from others how unreliable and expensive Peugeots are? Aftersales service is just as bad.
5. Fiesta - I like this car. But I don't own it so don't know how good/bad the GB is. Is there a manual variant?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
My own opinion :

1. Jazz - Meh.
2. Mazda 2 - Meh. But better than #1. Waiting list for this car is stupidly long. I heard it's reached 3 months now.
3. Polo - I don't like the TSI. Very problematic back then, not sure about now. The GTI is nice but feels like a heavy car. I could be wrong.
4. Peugeot 208 - Have you not learnt from others how unreliable and expensive Peugeots are? Aftersales service is just as bad.
5. Fiesta - I like this car. But I don't own it so don't know how good/bad the GB is. Is there a manual variant?
5.Yes, the Fiesta ST, but that's a RM145k car, above his budget. So out of this 5, which will you buy? Assuming you're limited to this budget, brand new, and only these 5 choices and nothing else.

Feels like Mazda2

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
5.Yes, the Fiesta ST, but that's a RM145k car, above his budget. So out of this 5, which will you buy? Assuming you're limited to this budget, brand new, and only these 5 choices and nothing else.

Feels like Mazda2
Erk... that means the Polo GTI is out of his budget too.

I wouldn't buy any of these cars IMHO and look at the used Renault Megane. And personally I am not a fan of hatches even though I have the dreadful 2006 Myvi.

Reactions: 6UE5t

Han_neversolo

Aug 10, 2018
My own opinion :

1. Jazz - Meh.
For Mazda 2, yes, I went to Mazda dealer yesterday, the sales person told me that I will need to wait till Feb 2019 to get the car. :banghead:

Han_neversolo

Aug 10, 2018
Must be new car is it? If used car is still ok, then I'd suggest Suzuki Swift Sport ZC32S manual! Guaranteed more fun and faster than any of your choices above with good reliability too (unlike those European cars in your list!).
I used to consider it, but I am a bit lazy to go through all the hassle (inspect the car -> nego -> paperwork -> pray that it won't fall apart). But I don't mind la if I can find a good one.

1.Not very fun to drive. Super practical.
2.Fun in the corners, otherwise insufficient power
3.Not very fun when the car breaks down, the 1.6L NA also not very powerful, same problem as #2. I'd say the #2 is better in corners than this. I didn't drive this before, I drove the Golf, and the Mazda 2 is more nimble, responsive to throw around, I guess less weight.
4.Peugeot 208. Nice interior, nice cabin feel, I'm scared of Naza's service or lack thereof. I've not driven it so I don't know. But you can google peugeot and depollution error, and feel the horror of Peugeot owners.
5.Dry clutch memang got problem.

If you're talking about under RM100k for a brand new car, you can throw Suprima in as well. I would probably buy the Mazda 2. My friend owns the Fiesta, the dry clutch memang not smooth. And there's a sensor under the car (forgot what sensor) so if kena splash from mild flood, will rosak and not under warranty.
I found the appearance of Suprima a bit weird, would rather get a Preve actually. Also, my friends who owns Iriz and Saga complained that Proton CVT jerks. Sincerely hope that Proton (or Geely) will use normal AT instead of CVT.

The previous version of Subaru Impreze is a hatch right?
below 100k 2nd hand.
How is the reliability of the car? Usual Japanese reliability?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I used to consider it, but I am a bit lazy to go through all the hassle (inspect the car -> nego -> paperwork -> pray that it won't fall apart). But I don't mind la if I can find a good one.

Yeah finding a good one is the very difficult part for the ZC31/32S now coz they are very rarely on sale now!

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

I found the appearance of Suprima a bit weird, would rather get a Preve actually. Also, my friends who owns Iriz and Saga complained that Proton CVT jerks. Sincerely hope that Proton (or Geely) will use normal AT instead of CVT.

How is the reliability of the car? Usual Japanese reliability?
If you open yourself to used car, and you're concerned about hassle, then buy the Golf GTi Mk7 would be much better and worth it if you stretch your budget to about 119k.

https://www.mudah.my/2014+Volkswagen+GOLF+2+0+GTi+TSI+A+Tech+Pack+MK7-70241649.htm

A 2014 would mean it still has warranty until 2019. So any problems just claim VW MY -- so no worries of breakdown. Make sure you buy a stock standard car with full service history, and make sure warranty is intact with VW Malaysia.

Only thing you need is to get a body shop guy to inspect the car and make sure no accident.

I'd suggest opening your mind to used but still under warranty. Stuff like Peugeot 208 GTi
https://www.mudah.my/2015+Peugeot+208+1+6+GTi+M+FulSerRcdUnderWarranty-70009667.htm

That being said I WOULDN'T buy a Peugeot, the SC is horrid, the car reliability also horrible. But at RM59k for a hot hatch with warranty, apa lagi mau? Its cheaper than a used Clio RS200 of the same year. And a Fiesta ST 2015 is asking for RM90k, so the Peugeot 208 GTi is really dirt cheap for what you get.

The cheapest Suzuki Swift Sport 1.6 year 2014 is RM58k... so yes, the Peugeot depreciated a lot. Damn good buy. Since you DO NOT CARE about resale value, it is PERFECT for you. Just remember SC is crap la.

Han_neversolo

Aug 10, 2018
If you open yourself to used car, and you're concerned about hassle, then buy the Golf GTi Mk7 would be much better and worth it if you stretch your budget to about 119k.

https://www.mudah.my/2014+Volkswagen+GOLF+2+0+GTi+TSI+A+Tech+Pack+MK7-70241649.htm

A 2014 would mean it still has warranty until 2019. So any problems just claim VW MY -- so no worries of breakdown. Make sure you buy a stock standard car with full service history, and make sure warranty is intact with VW Malaysia.

Only thing you need is to get a body shop guy to inspect the car and make sure no accident.

I'd suggest opening your mind to used but still under warranty. Stuff like Peugeot 208 GTi
https://www.mudah.my/2015+Peugeot+208+1+6+GTi+M+FulSerRcdUnderWarranty-70009667.htm

That being said I WOULDN'T buy a Peugeot, the SC is horrid, the car reliability also horrible. But at RM59k for a hot hatch with warranty, apa lagi mau? Its cheaper than a used Clio RS200 of the same year. And a Fiesta ST 2015 is asking for RM90k, so the Peugeot 208 GTi is really dirt cheap for what you get.

The cheapest Suzuki Swift Sport 1.6 year 2014 is RM58k... so yes, the Peugeot depreciated a lot. Damn good buy. Since you DO NOT CARE about resale value, it is PERFECT for you. Just remember SC is crap la.
Thank you so much for the recommendations and advice! :beer: Will have a look!

I am a fan of Golf GTI, sadly don't have enough budget for that :bawling:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all, in this post I will show you what is the culprit when side mirror cannot auto-flip.

First we need to remove the mirror by pry from below. Do it carefully

Then remove 4 screw that hold side mirror cover.

Here what it will look like...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience