Matching sports spring with stock absorbers ...appreciate feedback

SlipStream

Aug 25, 2006
Was wondering if anyone tried fitting sports spring to their car's stock absorbers? Did a low level/budget upgrade by fitting in a APM performax sports spring to the stock APM absorber of my wira. Despite the drastic increase in bumpiness (think it's called road-feel here :_: ), I was pretty satisfied with the performance of the upgrade. The problem crops up after a few weeks when i started hearing weird pinging sounds from the rear and back portion of the suspension..both at the right side. The sounds are audible in normally driving... dun even hafta go through bumpy roads to reproduce. Simple actions like accelerating or braking are suffiicient for me to reproduce the sounds. I have sent the car for inspection but to date, the cause of the problem remains unsolved.

Anyone, has encountered similiar problem before? I was told by a friend that the problem could be caused by a mismatch between the spirng and the absorber, i.e. the spring needs to be longer than the absorber for the suspension to work properly?

Feedback appreciated :cry_smile:

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
pinging sound??.... how geh??... can explain more detail??..

try bounce ur car and check if the absorber is damaged already or not...

my car also got lots of sound after installing sport springs.... mostly due to screeching sound "eiiik eiik" at the suspension joints...

Fluffy

3,000 RPM
May 1, 2005
>>klang<<
pinging sounds huh? never heard of that b4..but i hear sounds like those from mr. skywalker..:_:

SlipStream

Aug 25, 2006
SkYwAlKeR said:
pinging sound??.... how geh??... can explain more detail??..

try bounce ur car and check if the absorber is damaged already or not...

my car also got lots of sound after installing sport springs.... mostly due to screeching sound "eiiik eiik" at the suspension joints...
The sounds goes like "tok tok" ...i think it can be more accurately categorized as knocking than pinging. I get those from the front right suspension. Some of those "eiik eiik" kinda sounds as well...from the back suspension. These sounds could not be reproduced by bouncing the car up and down... been doing that the whole afternoon at the workshop. The mechanics are at a loss too. The absorbers are quite new..confirmed not damaged, so are the arms and suspension mounting. Headache.. headache :cry_smile:

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
did your mech insert the springs correctly?

are all the nut screwed properly?

ur abs, long or short stroke?

SlipStream

Aug 25, 2006
SkYwAlKeR said:
is the wheel scratching against ur suspension links??... other than that, i also not sure la...
I don't think so since the mechs replaced the shock absorbers and inserted tubings around the springs... the sounds still came back.. I guess the next best thing is to leave the car at the workshop for a few days for the mechs to troubleshoot the problem. Then again, it's always better if i have a rough idea on where the problem lies..at least would not end up kena 'pancung' :confused_smile:

fstrader said:
did your mech insert the springs correctly?

are all the nut screwed properly?

ur abs, long or short stroke?
The absorber was taken out and reinserted again a few times during the inspection at the workshop. So i think can assume the nuts are fastened properly. The car uses the stock OEM APM absorbers that comes with all Wiras...so i assume it's a long stroke? The absorbers are new though..replaced it 2 months ago...so don't think so they would be the cause of the sounds. I didn't know absorbers can be categorized into long and short.

SlipStream

Aug 25, 2006
gohkokeng said:
where to get APM spring? how much?
I got it from a workshop here in Penang. Think it's quite common to see it lying around tyre service centres around here. If i'm not mistaken, it costs around RM300+.

xbalance2002 said:
what car you driving??
Not sure if you are directing the question to me.. it's a wira

justlikeu

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2005
Subang Jaya
slipstream... ur sport spring is those lowered type one? wat i know is those stock absorber cannot fit lowered spring... cuz will damage the absorber... if wanna use lowered spring hav to get short stroke absorber lo...

jus trying to help here... cheer = )

justlikeu

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2005
Subang Jaya
Fluffy said:
some were complaining about short stroke abs and lowered springs.totally bouncy.
yeah... but wat to do... u wan stable ma... =)

davidv00

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2006
Selangor
hey guys, i am planning to use TEIN STech spring in my stock Gen2 absorbers soon. so will that be any problem?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

PETALING JAYA, 23 August – Persona, the new born in the PROTON stable, has received a better than expected response from consumers with over 8,000 bookings since PROTON began marketing the sedan.<br><br>“We are happy with the response received thus far. We are also touched by our consumers’ belief in us. Two thousand two hundred of them booked the Persona without seeing it during the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience