Is Crime Bad in JB or Just Newspaper Spreading Fears?

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Sorry guys, still not seeing any numbers. Like I said, newspaper headlines is a poor gauge for crime rate.

An example, despite the recent mass shootings in America(cue the corresponding headlines,talk shows, bla2), gun crime rate has actually dropped by 39% between 1993 and 2011. Yet 56% of Americans thought that gun crime rate were on the rise.

I'm not trying to argue, just want cold hard numbers but I do note TR's remarks regarding the nonexistence of correct statistics.Do you know why this is?
Those figure just a number. I won't really care about it. We malaysian do care is the safety of our nation. Today i heard from radio, Wisma Hai O kena robbed by 6 robbers. Besides, today "The Sun" newspaper main page show our indian warrior rammed down a thief where he is an off duty cop. In my heart, i get shocked and wondering what wrong with our nation nowadays. It's just everyday you can see a lot of crime happened around malaysia.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Those figure just a number. I won't really care about it. We malaysian do care is the safety of our nation. Today i heard from radio, Wisma Hai O kena robbed by 6 robbers. Besides, today "The Sun" newspaper main page show our indian warrior rammed down a thief where he is an off duty cop. In my heart, i get shocked and wondering what wrong with our nation nowadays. It's just everyday you can see a lot of crime happened around malaysia.
Yeah that was crazy, the ones who are supposed to protect instead become the criminal! :banghead:
Robber Cops | theSundaily

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
So can he claim insurance for fighting crime? :rofl:
Respect for him. Only 27 years old already being so helpful.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I salute the guy who sacrificed so much to ram those dirtbags! The police should have compensated for his damages!
Yah! but fat chance. Already so bad having police who are robbers. Here they help you, behind they rob you....:banghead:

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
They are numbers,but it represents the reality of it. It's between perception and reality.

We are hearing about crimes everyday, but that could be simply due to the internet age, where connectivity between people is unparalleled and nothing is hidden anymore.

On the flip side, it could be due to an actual high crime rate, which is what I want to find out.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Ya i believe some party or anything should assist him with his damages on his car instead. Helping the citizens and yet have to bear
the damages? Should claim from those dirty cops.

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
They are numbers,but it represents the reality of it. It's between perception and reality.

We are hearing about crimes everyday, but that could be simply due to the internet age, where connectivity between people is unparalleled and nothing is hidden anymore.

On the flip side, it could be due to an actual high crime rate, which is what I want to find out.
Ya, that why our beloved govn love to play numbering and figure. Bad case = lower the figure & good case = bring up the figure.

Just like our nation debt, do you believe what is the figure that our finance mister show to you?

Do you believe our IGP saying bersih rally only 5 to 10k ppl joining?

That is the figure or numbering and I don't think that help us much or that is the fact that proved to us.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Sorry guys, still not seeing any numbers. Like I said, newspaper headlines is a poor gauge for crime rate.

An example, despite the recent mass shootings in America(cue the corresponding headlines,talk shows, bla2), gun crime rate has actually dropped by 39% between 1993 and 2011. Yet 56% of Americans thought that gun crime rate were on the rise.

I'm not trying to argue, just want cold hard numbers but I do note TR's remarks regarding the nonexistence of correct statistics.Do you know why this is?

I agree with your POV, BUT
I have first hand experience, my friend is a victim, the police say no need to file report they caught the culprit already.

So, how to get an accurate view of the numbers? When law enforcement is NOT enforcing the law and robbing citizens, how?

Robber Cops | theSundaily

You tell me. Do you want the numbers to come from the robbers themselves? Make sense? :rofl: And in the link above, the police station where the police belongs to didn't take action, the citizen has to file a report at another station and it took years for the police to respond, and I believe to-date the police has yet to press charges.

So how? When the people who were suppose to protects you robs you.

Last edited:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005

There's no real actual figures because unlike US we have too less independent bodies that keeps a record of these and keep the figure real. Also not all crimes are reported to the police, you know la who some Malaysian is on top of that the statistics that PDRM showed to the public previously was met with far cry because as PDRM explained it there are index and non index crime. In the end, I myself also don't know how true is the statistic's number. For me the statistic is just for reference but could not be used as a proof to show the result.

If you were to ask me, what is the crime rate in Malaysia. I will just tell you to watch your back day in day out. I remember few months back there was a report saying the PDRM put more cops on doing table jobs rather than field job....

wah you living under a rock ah? when in the history in Malaysia there were shooting case everyday back to back? only now under our glorious Prime Minister and our efficient PDRM Inspector General.

and after all that shooting they still say its safe. can you see the shithole we're getting into?
Like I said, When they tell you no need to panic, It's time you be panic...

So can he claim insurance for fighting crime? :rofl:
Respect for him. Only 27 years old already being so helpful.
SF, you also can mah...ram your Altis to those MF if you see them...I also salute you...

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
There's no real actual figures because unlike US we have too less independent bodies that keeps a record of these and keep the figure real. Also not all crimes are reported to the police, you know la who some Malaysian is on top of that the statistics that PDRM showed to the public previously was met with far cry because as PDRM explained it there are index and non index crime. In the end, I myself also don't know how true is the statistic's number. For me the statistic is just for reference but could not be used as a proof to show the result.

If you were to ask me, what is the crime rate in Malaysia. I will just tell you to watch your back day in day out. I remember few months back there was a report saying the PDRM put more cops on doing table jobs rather than field job....

Like I said, When they tell you no need to panic, It's time you be panic...

SF, you also can mah...ram your Altis to those MF if you see them...I also salute you...
Anytime, since not repainted yet :biggrin: So still able to help :smile:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I am just wondering. Cause in my recent trip to JB on Saturday morning, everything looks so peaceful and nice. I took small roads passing by palm tree plantation.

The only thing that unsettled me somewhat is those stupid horror stories I have read online or told by someone.

So, I am wondering whats the deal about crime in JB? Pple talk about it as if there is no law and daylight robbery is everywhere. But I don't see anything like that. Life goes on in JB. IMHO, it may actually be safer in JB compared to Singapore.
It really depends on the wheres and whens. I grew up in the heart of JB for a good 20 odd years before moving to KL and sometimes, i miss it there. In the recent years of my occasional visits there, a simple, yet fast growing city. People are more careful there nowadays, but everything is pretty much the same good old JB.

Crimes wise, I'd say, as long as you don't stand out among the crowd, you'd be safe. Always be especially alert when entering unfamiliar zones. More often than not, crimes are targeted on the unsuspecting. So, just suspect everything. Look behind regularly. Don't repeat processes in a routine manner. The news almost never report how the victims were not doing their part to prevent the crime in the first place.

I've witnessed some odd scenes, once in a while,
- a truck deliberately reversing hard into car that it had crashed into in the first place, just because the lady who owns the car made a small fuss.
- an owner of a semi-drunk MPV drove into the side of a double parked car because it was difficult to maneuver out of his parked spot. He didn't like how minor the damage was and proceed to get out and kick the car.
- the usual bar fights and stuff like that

Life goes on in JB. IMHO, it may actually be safer in JB compared to Singapore.
Singapore is sterile compared to anywhere else within its 3000km vicinity to be very honest. It's good to be positive about JB being nice and liveable despite crime rates being overly sensationalized by the media, but never ever think anywhere in Malaysia is just as safe as in SG.

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Some interesting statistics for number freaks. Prison study between Malaysia and Singapore. extracted from International Centre for Prison Studies (ICPS)

What you guys see and your interpretation?

It seems like Malaysian overloaded prisons indirectly contributing to rampant crimes out in the street. Where should we put all those common criminals if they are caught? So police also tidak apa to solve cases knowing that no place to hold them. A very logical consequences like in SIM City play.

Attachments

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
It seems like Malaysian overloaded prisons indirectly contributing to rampant crimes out in the street. Where should we put all those common criminals if they are caught? So police also tidak apa to solve cases knowing that no place to hold them. A very logical consequences like in SIM City play.
Just a suggestion. For crimes like murder, armed robbery, armed theft, snatch thief that causes death, put them in front of a firing squad? China has been doing that all the while, I am sure China is doing it right considering the country is growing rapidly and will soon overtake USA as the #1 super power in the world.

Or maybe practice Islamic laws? e.g. steal with right hand, we chop their right hand off. that way, they don't need to be jailed. afterall, 1 person only has 2 hands, if after chopping their right hand off, they still rob with their left, we just chop their left hand off. thereafter i doubt he can commit crime anymore. if he is creative and determined and use his legs, we can chop those off too! I'm pretty sure its a very good deterrent.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The owner was so impressed with the results on the Golf that he opted for the Mercedes to be done as well. This is a 4 year old w212 that had went through much abuse, road side wash, petrol station polishes and the maximum of Malaysian environmental damages...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience