How to DIY Autogauge Smoke Series Gauge (Boost)

drew1.0beta

Known Member
May 27, 2006
hi guys..i kno there lotsa old threads about diying the boost meter..
but i cant find any threads about the smoke series..
i see the wiring behind is deifferent with the norma autogauge ones..
it has 3 coloured wires which is - orange, red , and black..
all i kno is that black is for ground..
what about orange and red?
thanks a bunch!!
cheers

otromen

Jul 7, 2006
bro..... red is from direct supply 12V after fuse..... Then Orange is supply 12v from your any supply for light.

Due to smoke gauge, you need supply to light up a bit your gauge.......it's come from red wire. Then at night, when u turn on light, your gauge will more brightness.....it's come from orange wire supply.....

VeiL

Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
bro..... red is from direct supply 12V after fuse..... Then Orange is supply 12v from your any supply for light.

Due to smoke gauge, you need supply to light up a bit your gauge.......it's come from red wire. Then at night, when u turn on light, your gauge will more brightness.....it's come from orange wire supply.....

Erm...:hmmmm:
There's a question bout this wiring. Actually i jst bought a vac meter from OneUtama.( My old vacuum meter spoiled, white face type ) And i asked the shop assistant how to fix it( i knew i didnt ask properly, regret..). First, he say black as usual, ground wire. And then he say put the red to Light source power ( i assume tap cigarette lighter Light source ). Okie, this means... at nite when i switch on my light, the meter will lights up (true... nothing wrong). What if day time when no on light then the meter will be in no-light condition (cos the meter is smoke surface).

Now, after i read the manual and see wat Otromen said, i feel weird. Isnt it when day time, the meter should have BRIGHT enough to let user see, and when nite time when user switch on light, it should have dimm abit due to distraction. Am i right? cos this apply to my car audio player too..when nite switch on light, the light source on cd player will dimm.

So, from the manual it says :
Orange -> connect to 12v lighting
Black -> connect to good Ground
Red -> 12v ignition switch (+)

Means, how should i mess with the orange and red wire. Which i should tab for the "at nite open light source" and which should be "when on car always got light source" :confused:

this both source which should be suitable, but as i see from others thread, 1 should come from cigarette lighter source. How bout another wire source??

Last edited:

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
u should tap the red wire to ignition. when u turn key to "on" position theres +12v supply.

orange to +12v lighting power source. ie: cigarette lamp/dashboard acc lamps.
anything that got 12v supply when light switch is on position.

black as usual ground/chassis

if wiring is correct it should:
turn key to "on" -> gauge will work (light up if smoke series)
turn light switch to "on" -> gauge light will be dimmed.

Last edited:

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
red - 12v positive
black - ground
orange - boost unit signal cable

installation should be almost the same with vacuum meter... since both has the same working principle...

VeiL

Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. for me i had already install the wiring nicely for my vacuum meter. But for that dimm function of smoke face autogauge meter, it seem not much diffrent where when i turn on the lights, it only dimm "a little" only.. lolz~ but still fine, at least fullfill its function purpose. Thanks again~

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Greetings to all, *
If any readers are contemplating a BMW or already owning a BMW, please allow me to share my experience. Below is my email to BMW Malaysia.. *

-Quote- *

I purchased the above vehicle as pre-reg unit from Ingress Auto early 2012. I was initially sceptical on buying a used vehicle *but after the salesperson convinced me that the vehicle comes with a 5 year warranty and free maintenance, I went ahead with the purchase. Additionally, BMW's distinction in its Customer...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience