GRA 2011 Spotlight: JSSim & Team Raydiance-Michelin

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006

Sim receiving the OC Novice-Class Champion trophy from Ong Chuan Yuan of Perma Glass

The recently concluded Grass Racing Autosports (GRA) 2011 Season Round 5 held at the PA3 car park in Sepang International Circuit last Sunday (Nov 27), saw the rise of another promising local talent in motor sports.

Sim Kian Teng, or better known as JSSim in the GRA community, first started auto-crossing in the 2010 season.

He competed in the OA-Class (below 1,500cc engine capacity), using his Proton Wira 1.5 (4G15).

Being a novice in auto-crossing, he had a shock when he found out that he was in the same class as William Lim, Kenneth Chew, Alven Lee and Adam Marcus, amongst other well-known names in GRA.

Sim recalling his "virgin" competition

“I was very nervous at that time as I had no experience in competitive driving and vehicle setup. I had to learn on the fly and the pressure was enormous!” Sim told ZerotoHundred (ZTH) during an exclusive interview.

Sim clocked 1:21.253 on his first run, almost 5 seconds off the pace of the fastest car in the 2010 Season opener held at the Metro Driving Academy training ground in Puchong on May 2.

“It was a very challenging course, the layout was very tight and requires even more precision driving. Fortunately, I was able to slowly improve my time in the next few runs,” he said.

Sim eventually clocked 1:16.612 in his fifth run, setting the fourth fastest time in OA class but could only finish fifth overall as the results were tabulated based on accumulated time.

He spent the whole of 2010 Season to test various setups in relation to camber, toe and ride height settings on top of polishing his own driving skills.

Unfortunately for him, he faced teething engine troubles and had to do a top overhaul three times, punishing his already depleted finances from his previous intake, exhaust, camshafts, suspension, braking system, wheel and tire upgrades.

Nevertheless, perseverance and practice paid off when Sim managed a podium finish in the fifth and final round in Nov 21 at Shah Alam stadium car park.

His accumulated time for the day was 4:46.967, finishing third overall, approximately 16 seconds off the pace of OA-Class Champion William Lim.

Maiden podium finish in GRA 2010 season finale brings a smile to his face

Sim also clocked the third fastest time in the same class with a 1:35.067 during the second run.
The 2011 Season brought new challenges to him, as the tough competition took its toll on the 4G15 engine.

Mechanical failures forced Sim to skip the first three rounds while he sourced for a new engine and to prepare his car while searching for a viable sponsor.

By a stroke of luck, he managed to find a 4G93 SOHC engine taken from a Mitsubishi Lancer wagon with good low to mid-range torque, an ideal engine for auto-crossing.

3rd gear pulls reaching over 120km/h on the short straights

With the new engine in place, Sim had to re-learn his car’s handling characteristics due to the heavier front and also the more torquey response.

360<sup>o</sup>, 540<sup>o</sup> and 720<sup>o</sup> turns could be better executed now although he had to readjust his braking point and handbrake combination to minimize wheel spin that would lead to precious time loss.

Sim executing a 540<sup>o</sup> turn

“Front wheel drive and a long wheel based car has its own handling characteristics around the corners, during lane changes, doing donuts and going through slaloms. Precise throttle control and steering input is the key to setting a fast time. This can only be achieved by practice, practice and more practice. It doesn’t come easy,” Sim explained.

With the change in engine displacement from the previous 1,500cc to 1,800cc, Sim was promoted to OC-Class that comprise of vehicles running Naturally-Aspirated (NA) engines between 1,600cc to 2,200cc.

However, his constant practice paid off as he returned to the 2011 Season with a bang in Round 4 on Oct 30, claiming the top step of the podium in OC Novice-Class and a third place finish in OC Pro-Class.

In the final and fifth round of the 2011 Season held at the same car park but with a different track layout, Sim once again claimed a double-podium finish.

Sim clinches 2nd place in OC Pro-Class. Trophy presented by Victor Lim of Meguairs.

He retained the Champion for OC Novice-Class while climbing up one spot in OC Pro-Class by securing a second place finish.

“It has been a tough year for me and I wish to thank Raymond, Bryan and David from Raydiance for sponsoring me in this final round. The Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tires really gave me an advantage last Sunday. I would also like to personally thank Jackson for helping me with my car setup and for being my crew on race day as well. This is all thanks to the full sponsorship from Raydiance Wheels!”

Sim couldn't hide his delight with the double podium finishes in 2011 Round 5

It was learnt that Sim had faced extreme difficulties in securing a sponsor, a common scene in Malaysian motor sports even for talented drivers with results to show.

The high-tech 3D alignment machine at Raydiance Wheels

The timely intervention of Raydiance Wheels in supporting this young auto-crosser has opened up a pathway to a brighter future for both parties in the motor sports scene.

From Left: JSSim with Raymond, Bryan and Jackson from Raydiance

ZTH wishes JSSim and Team Raydiance-Michelin all the best in the 2012 Season!

Next Up: Interview with Raydiance Wheels

Attachments

Last edited:

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
upcoming GRA star....keep it up junior Sim....

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
finally i got the attachments right... how embarrassing... :banghead:

Last edited:

jssim

Known Member
Sep 4, 2007
Fuh.. senior 4G15 member become 4G93 already and now super star! Congrats dude
not a super star, still a small potato....gonna work harder!!!
btw, thanks bro mizu for the great write up!!!

khsim

Known Member
Apr 16, 2009
thank's to mizu for the perfect write up....:proud:

jssim

Known Member
Sep 4, 2007
wah...champion julian & champion mitch also come in jor!!!:driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Recently DIY flushing radiator coolant myself and come across this two types of hose clamps
1. View attachment 574416 Original Constant tension band hose clamp come from factory (Honestly I really don't know what it call:dontknow:)

2. View attachment 574417 Scew type hose clamp

Which one better? Which one will you choose? While changing radiator hoses, will you take out the original one and change to the screw type hose clamp?

- My own opinion is the 1st original one is better than 2nd...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience