First Impressions: 2019 Honda HR-V Hybrid

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
First Impressions: 2019 Honda HR-V Hybrid

The first noticeable thing upon engaging D via the futuristic, egg shaped shift-by-wire knob is the HRV's new ability to glide off the line without engine power, effortlessly forward or backward at the touch of the throttle pedal. In the city or while commuting at car park speeds, pure electric drive is truly one of the best feature in modern hybrid cars. When packaged with the dual clutch I-DCD transmission, a first in any hybrid car, offers a drive that is seamless, well sorted, and refined. It literally hovers off the line, which its pure petrol HRV counterpart could never deliver.

Power

While full electric drive only happen from zero till about brisk walking speeds, the hybrid motor continues to assist engine propulsion whenever necessary, such as overtaking or driving up a hill, while remaining virtually undetectable. This provides a noticeable immediacy in engine response, which can only be attributed to the introduction of its hybrid ability and dual clutch transmission. In the small town roads of Langkawi island with 3 adults on board, power from the HR-V hybrid can be described as full, instant and sufficient. It feels evidently more punchy and light footed compared to the full petrol HR-V, despite the added weight from hybrid motor and batteries.

Sport button when activated provides a real sense of added grunt as the hybrid motor ignores energy regeneration to supply greater torque assistance, while its dual clutch transmission delay upshifts to keep engine revs at its peak. Definitely not a simple gimmick and is a worthy drive mode addition to the HR-V Hybrid.

I-DCD Dual Clutch Transmission

Steering shift paddles are awesome to use. The weighty flaps are finished in gloss piano black, feels nice on the fingers, have just the right click, travel and resistance. This dual clutch box is easily the best part of the HR-V hybrid apart from its electric drive. In fact, the I-DCD beats all of Honda's previous attempts at drivetrains with smoothness of an auto, rapidness of a performance car and the sportiness of.. well, okay it is only mildly sporty so try not to expect GTI pew-pew-pew shifts here because it will not. However it does make up with seamlessness and intuition.

The I-DCD never frustrates, there is zero free play between gears or throttle inputs. This brilliant ability has plenty to do with the hybrid's electric motor supplying instant torque when needed the most, such as moving off from standstill or partial to full throttle applications. But this isn't a regular dual clutch box either, the I-DCD is made for and only the hybrid engine, as featured in recent Hybrid versions of the Jazz and City models.

There are additional cutting edge benefits in the form of increased energy recuperation and efficiency that are possible only because of Honda's I-DCD strategy. Something to do with it being dual clutch where the odd gears 1, 3, 5, 7 are connected to the motor, while the even gears aren't, which allows the engine to disengage from transmission at will, while still being connected to the hybrid motor, so on so forth. That's the gist of it. As you can tell, there are a number of scenarios in which this versatility can come in handy.

Ride & Handling

This will be based on first driving impressions from mixed test scenarios within Langkawi Island only. There were plenty of hill driving which is nice and brings out the best in the HR-V Hybrid. The roads there are known to be less than ideal, mostly b roads and are littered with dips, bumps and potholes. Interestingly, with the added battery weight from its hybrid package, the HR-V Hybrid remain composed on all four corners, just as well as the full petrol one does. There is definitely a hint of bulk, but at the same time the suspension feels even better sorted than the petrol, has good amount of firm for real sense of sportiness, is planted and just as nimble, if not more.

Continue reading the Post.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Its riding better than the 1.8 model?

my parent got the 1.8 model and to me its too bouncy. The rear seems to be poorly damped. During a trip to cameron highland early this year i was driving behind the HRV and cant help noticing the rear bouncing up and down like a normal car riding on sport spring. Checked with the driver (my bro) he confirms it. Could be due to the Jazz chassis.

The hybrid is about 120k and with X70 around, HRV becomes too expensive for its class. Well, HRV has the badge value though.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Its riding better than the 1.8 model?

my parent got the 1.8 model and to me its too bouncy. The rear seems to be poorly damped. During a trip to cameron highland early this year i was driving behind the HRV and cant help noticing the rear bouncing up and down like a normal car riding on sport spring. Checked with the driver (my bro) he confirms it. Could be due to the Jazz chassis.

The hybrid is about 120k and with X70 around, HRV becomes too expensive for its class. Well, HRV has the badge value though.
I don't think there's any value to a badge. Unless, you know, you feel there's value (perceived value). End of the day for a transportation tool, practicality matters more than the badge IMO.

I drove a normal 1.8L CVT HR-V and boy its slow, but its also comfortable in gliding smoothly. And man its really spacious. I can see why its such a bestseller. I feel it should have the 1.5L turbo engine then its a winner, but sadly that would put it too close to the CR-V.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I don't think there's any value to a badge. Unless, you know, you feel there's value (perceived value). End of the day for a transportation tool, practicality matters more than the badge IMO.

I drove a normal 1.8L CVT HR-V and boy its slow, but its also comfortable in gliding smoothly. And man its really spacious. I can see why its such a bestseller. I feel it should have the 1.5L turbo engine then its a winner, but sadly that would put it too close to the CR-V.
Unfortunately thats how most malaysian treat cars..according to badge.

Our butt are made of different material hence the HRV is smooth to u but bumpy to me...hehehe.

One thing which i like the most is the ability to store item under the rear seat when its up.

BTW my parent HRV got both its rear caliper changed under warranty less than 6 month due to electronic parking brake malfunction. It start to produce abnormal sound when engaging and disengaging. The invoice showed part cost per side is RM2500.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Unfortunately thats how most malaysian treat cars..according to badge.

Our butt are made of different material hence the HRV is smooth to u but bumpy to me...hehehe.

One thing which i like the most is the ability to store item under the rear seat when its up.

BTW my parent HRV got both its rear caliper changed under warranty less than 6 month due to electronic parking brake malfunction. It start to produce abnormal sound when engaging and disengaging. The invoice showed part cost per side is RM2500.
It was smooth because I was driving in chauffeur mode. I was the chauffeur. LOL. But even as I gradually floor it in a smooth manner, it doesn't go.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys what will be the best exhaust setup for myvi 1.3 auto ? Prefer a straight flow kind of system or something which has a nice sound and with good mid end power
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience