Extremely dangerous hiway repair works

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur

IM A REGULAR USER OF PLUS HIGHWAY & ELITE HIGHWAY
IT SEEMS THAT THE CONTRACTOR DOING THE REPAIR WORKS OF THE RAILINGS OR DIVIDER IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HIGHWAY IS NOT TAKING ENOUGH SAFETY MEASURES TO WARN MOTORIST OF WORKS AHEAD.

MY RECENT EXPERIENCE WAS WHEN I WAS TAILING A TOYOTA ALPHARD IN THE FAST LANE AT 120KM/HR
SUDDENLY THE ALPHARD SWERVE TO THE MIDDLE LANE,
LEAVING MYSELF TO FACE THE LONG STRETCH OF HAZARD ORANGE CONES PUT UP BY THE CONTRACTOR
I GOT NO CHOICE BUT TO DO AN EMERGENCY BRAKING, LEAVING THE CAR BEHIND ME ALSO SCREECHING WITH LOCKED BRAKES
I EASED MY BRAKING A BIT TO GIVE ROOM FOR THE CAR BEHIND ME...
LUCKILY NOTHING HAPPENED, AND I SWERVE SLOWLY INTO THE MIDDLE LANE AND CONTINUED MY JOURNEY....

NOW THE QUESTION IS....
HOW COME THERE WAS NO 200M WARNING OF ROAD WORKS AHEAD SIGN? AND ADDITIONAL 100M WARNING SIGN OF ROADWORKS AHEAD?

CAN ANYONE DO SOMETHING LIKE WRITE TO THE HIGHWAY CONCESSION DEMANDING THAT THEY SHOULD PUT UP WARNING SIGNS AT LEAST 100M TO WARN THE MOTORIST IN THE FAST LANE OF WORKS AHEAD?:thefinger:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
How close were you behind the Alphard?
He was tail gating this alphard. No wonder he couldnt react fast enuf. besides the alphard was like a mountain.....if got road signs, the sign would be obsured...

The lesson is? Dont tailgate ppl....and dont overspeed....

neohadri

Known Member
Jul 5, 2008
usually they put some sign to warn motorist but most of the time they didn't because the repair work is on straight road, anyway, following big vehicle that block our view in front is never a wise thing to do

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I dont know how close you are to the Alphard. At 120km/h IMO we should always stick to the 6 secs rule. We'll have time to react by then. And at 120km/h...dat's speeding lol...

But I do agree with the thread starter that some of the construction sites are lack of proper warning. And the cones...sometimes they put wherever they like even in a sudden of a corner, and without warning.

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
1. tailgate may be wrong but in this case, 90% chance was being played by the Alphard :rofl:

2. 120km is not fast (for me it is relaxing driving). If the suv move from slow lane to middle lane, high percentage there is obstruction like slow car, motorbike or etc. If the suvmove from fast lane to middle lane, the driver has the 1st view to react. So, cut the story short, the driver has lack of accident experience :rofl:

3. Someone should go through the road again with 80km/h speed. See if there is any sign. Cuz the sign may be at the road side (normally on slow lane). If not, then there is a possibility that missed the warning sign because covered by the suv fat ass and the window for being able to notice a sign at 120km/h is just too small. If there is no sign, normally they will put the cone from inner slowly extend to outer. The driver still can 'eat' about 1ft from the middle lane (down shift at the same time), then slowly 'force' cut in. Braking only apply if there are 4 cars tailgating a car at middle lane and just happen that they are all next to driver's car at the speed less than 50km/h (13.8 meter per second).

Next time, when there is a suv hogging your way, keep a distance about 4 cars length, open high beam and make sure the bean can focus on its side mirror. He will then either suffer for it or move to another lane.

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
How close were you behind the Alphard?
I WAS ABT 15METRES OR 3 CARS LENGTH

I WAS ALSO TOLD THAT....

ITS A STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE TO PUT UP "LANE CLOSED" SIGNS AT

400M BEFORE ON BOTH SIDES
200M BEFORE ON BOTH SIDES
100M BEFORE ON BOTH SIDES

WHICH THEY DIDNT !

CAN SOMEONE DO SOMETHING TO MAKE SURE THAT IN FUTURE....
THESE SIGNS ARE A MUST FOR THE CONTRACTORS TO PUT UP IF THEY WANT TO CLOSE ONE LANE OF THE HIWAY, ESPECIALLY THE FAST LANE....

LET WHAT HAPPENED TO ME BE A LESSON FOR ALL INCLUDING THE HIWAY CONCESSION TO MAKE IT SAFER FOR EVERYONE......

SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE SAPU ALL THE CONES IF I WERE TO DRIVE A PICKUP TRUCK OF A 4WD!
THEN IF THEY ASK ME WHY.....:banghead::banghead:
I WILL TELL THEM WHY.....
hahahahaaaa......

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Ok la if they put cone

1 time when i was driving at klang, a stupid worker stand in d middle of d road

He sign me to go to his right & there's not enough space for me to pass. So, i went left.

The stupid fella didn't notice that d space was small. I kept on his left for a few more meters

When i'm near. Suddenly he jump left ,right in front of my car

Thank god i have a fast reaction like a cat & steer right.

Stupid fella. If u r going to work at night, make sure u r paying attention to ur surrounding :thefinger:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Ok la if they put cone

1 time when i was driving at klang, a stupid worker stand in d middle of d road

He sign me to go to his right & there's not enough space for me to pass. So, i went left.

The stupid fella didn't notice that d space was small. I kept on his left for a few more meters

When i'm near. Suddenly he jump left ,right in front of my car

Thank god i have a fast reaction like a cat & steer right.

Stupid fella. If u r going to work at night, make sure u r paying attention to ur surrounding :thefinger:
lol...this could end up in both suicide and homicide. Gotta be damn careful

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I have only 2 words.
Malaysia boleh.

No warning signs upfront? Boleh.
No hazard lights upfront? Boleh.
No brains and get the contract? Boleh.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
So...migrate? Singapore Australia Brunei Thailand Russia Germany Indonesia USA Italy Spain UK or maybe Greenland? Or just vote wisely. And keep on pushing the govt to be better no matter BN or PR

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

I WAS ABT 15METRES OR 3 CARS LENGTH

I WAS ALSO TOLD THAT....

ITS A STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE TO PUT UP "LANE CLOSED" SIGNS AT

400M BEFORE ON BOTH SIDES
200M BEFORE ON BOTH SIDES
100M BEFORE ON BOTH SIDES

WHICH THEY DIDNT !

CAN SOMEONE DO SOMETHING TO MAKE SURE THAT IN FUTURE....
THESE SIGNS ARE A MUST FOR THE CONTRACTORS TO PUT UP IF THEY WANT TO CLOSE ONE LANE OF THE HIWAY, ESPECIALLY THE FAST LANE....

LET WHAT HAPPENED TO ME BE A LESSON FOR ALL INCLUDING THE HIWAY CONCESSION TO MAKE IT SAFER FOR EVERYONE......

SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE SAPU ALL THE CONES IF I WERE TO DRIVE A PICKUP TRUCK OF A 4WD!
THEN IF THEY ASK ME WHY.....:banghead::banghead:
I WILL TELL THEM WHY.....
hahahahaaaa......
Brother,
Firstly, I know you are angry, but posting in caps is like shouting at us (ZTH members)
Secondly, you keep asking someone to do something about it. Since you are a regular user of that highway, why not you inform them. Most of us replying, may not even be that highway user.....

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

I dont know how close you are to the Alphard. At 120km/h IMO we should always stick to the 6 secs rule. We'll have time to react by then. And at 120km/h...dat's speeding lol...

But I do agree with the thread starter that some of the construction sites are lack of proper warning. And the cones...sometimes they put wherever they like even in a sudden of a corner, and without warning.
Very true. If follow too closely, once the front car serve, the car behind may not have enough time to do so. This happen to a colleague before. A car stalled on highway, he follow one car too closely, and when the front car swerved to avoid this stalled car, he could not serve in time and smashed into the stalled car.....:bawling:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Tailing a SUV/MPV is way too silly thing to do in life...can't even see what is gonna happen ahead, yet wanna
tail them?

I usually follow them like at least 2 cars behind in case he did an emergency brake or anything.
In this case, it seems the Alphard driver did it on purpose, swerving out to the middle lane and leave u with
a big surprise.

Just thank god it was only cones, if it is something solid or bigger, u wont even be able to start a thread.

Never tail a SUV/MPV, or I should say never ever tail others on the road...we should leave Tokyo Drift or
Initial D remain as a ONLY a Movie instead.

Nowadays, it seems a lot are using another way to ask to give way...by putting on their right signals. I think is
not a bad idea or is better to use the "One time High Beam" is still safer.

I do understand a lot of idiots on the road love to hog the lane and hog the lane on purpose and not wanting to give
way, I came across one, Persona, an idiot who caused the jam. But what can we do? Just hope that this bastards
messed with the wrong ppl and learn their lessons the hard way. Sometimes makes me feel like ramming
these idiots off the road or bloody just break their windscreen with something...:mad: