Ever tried a simple DIY then causing a major F**K UP! .... Share you stories

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
wahh nice thread. Any diy without lifting engine out, i will try to diy IF possible.
done few diy...all OK with enough google preparation and idea from group chat.
First time clean TB too, but confused myself with tb coolant hose connection (2 hose only), thanks to group chat help.
First time change engine oil is oily situation. Floor is messy and black - why , unable to guess how far oil shoot from drain plug...:dontknow:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
wahh nice thread. Any diy without lifting engine out, i will try to diy IF possible.
done few diy...all OK with enough google preparation and idea from group chat.
First time clean TB too, but confused myself with tb coolant hose connection (2 hose only), thanks to group chat help.
First time change engine oil is oily situation. Floor is messy and black - why , unable to guess how far oil shoot from drain plug...:dontknow:
Connection like especially wiring, take picture with hp first mah......lol
Oil change, you see mechanic also use big tray, if don't have sure mess up......hhahahhahaha

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
What i have damaged while DIY:
1.Front lower arm ball joint rubber cover when i got angry as it refuses to get back into place.
2.at least 10 fuse for not disconnecting the battery or did wrong connection.
3.My waja frobt left door tinted while replacing the power window mechanism.
4.Pajero rear leaf spring bush while putting too much force when cuttinf it to size.It was aftermarket hard silicone bush so need some cutting to make it fit.
5.Pajero battery terminal when i dropped a long wrench and it made a + to - terminal connection.
6.Got electrical shock when putting my palm in between the distributor and its cap while key is at ON. The shock is worst than item no 5.
7.Broken trim clip/screw is a norm.
8.Oil spill....sometimes i forgot my waja will drain more than 4l and i place 4l container on the floor.
9.Forget to install back the drain plug. 1/2 bottle FS oil just lubricating the floor. Only realise when the oil reach my feet.

Thats all i can remember for now....
All the experience makes me 'stronger'.

Reactions: sweelt

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
my worst DIY experience was installing a ATF cooler in my old Myvi. The cooler hose burst and the ATF spilled all over the highway and I limped the Myvi back. Scary driving a Myvi with almost no ATF.

Turns out the provided oil hose was not meant for ATF. Sigh.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Not sure if this count as DIY mishaps;
After completing repair on the Pajero i was reversing it out and i manage to reverse it into my BLM.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Long time back, DIY tire rotation on my Mitsu Eterna, resulting in cracking one hex nut, hence could not open! This was probably due to the tire shop tightening it too hard previously, and maybe my tools not up to std too. Ended up went to a machining shop, welded the hex key to the nut then open, but rims got burnt/melted paint in some areas near the center.

Another one just happened a few months ago on my Evo. Tried to switch battery while engine on. The positive terminals doesn't have the rubber cover and accidentally touched the strut bars hence engine shut. Forgot to take the keys out, windows was closed, then hooked up the battery and the the doors all locked! And I didn't have spare key yet! So yeah, had to pay locksmith to open up the door. Just stupid mistake.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Long time back, DIY tire rotation on my Mitsu Eterna, resulting in cracking one hex nut, hence could not open! This was probably due to the tire shop tightening it too hard previously, and maybe my tools not up to std too. Ended up went to a machining shop, welded the hex key to the nut then open, but rims got burnt/melted paint in some areas near the center.

Another one just happened a few months ago on my Evo. Tried to switch battery while engine on. The positive terminals doesn't have the rubber cover and accidentally touched the strut bars hence engine shut. Forgot to take the keys out, windows was closed, then hooked up the battery and the the doors all locked! And I didn't have spare key yet! So yeah, had to pay locksmith to open up the door. Just stupid mistake.
@_@ car shut off, nothing fried? by right car on, it should have constant power coming from the alternator

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
@_@ car shut off, nothing fried? by right car on, it should have constant power coming from the alternator
Once car is started, the power actually comes from alternator. But the alternator is charging the battery, so when the positive touch any part of the car which is negative, it shorts and engine will die off.....

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Once car is started, the power actually comes from alternator. But the alternator is charging the battery, so when the positive touch any part of the car which is negative, it shorts and engine will die off.....
ouhh.. cukur it ended well... am surprized nothing happened....

my screwup.... i think i was doing my plugs and reconnecting the battery when I bent down to pickup a fallen nut and accidentally bridged the positive and negative sides with the spannar... i still remember, the spannar got welded onto one of the terminals and a bit of my finger got burnt.

also managed to break my pcv valve... and while removing the stuck bits on the head, managed to allow some tiny bits to fall in. (i pray those bits fall to the sump)

rest of my troubles always comes from just dropping things....

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
ouhh.. cukur it ended well... am surprized nothing happened....

my screwup.... i think i was doing my plugs and reconnecting the battery when I bent down to pickup a fallen nut and accidentally bridged the positive and negative sides with the spannar... i still remember, the spannar got welded onto one of the terminals and a bit of my finger got burnt.
The moment of the shortage, probably no current to the plugs, so engine dies off.

For the battery, don't think weak 2volt DC, it has pretty strong current. Once work in battery manufacturing plant, many years ago. We hook a cable direct from positive to negative and left it. Within seconds it heated up, melted the rubber casing, start to glow red then the wire melted to break the connection......

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
The moment of the shortage, probably no current to the plugs, so engine dies off.

For the battery, don't think weak 2volt DC, it has pretty strong current. Once work in battery manufacturing plant, many years ago. We hook a cable direct from positive to negative and left it. Within seconds it heated up, melted the rubber casing, start to glow red then the wire melted to break the connection......
If i recall correctly, its not about the voltage ( V ), its the current ( A ) that hurts us.

For example, car battery is only 12V but there are variation of capacity. I did mention that i dropped a wrench and it made + to - connection on the Pajero battery....that split second contact left a permanent mark on the terminal and manage to warm up the wrench. Imagin the energy that is stored in the battery.

Another proof is that i have seen video where offroader hook up 2 unit of 12V battery and uses it to weld.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ

yea.... a tiny part of the terminal and spanner actually melted, i think it didnt get literally welded onto each other cause i was still holding onto it as i fell

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
to be safe better put a fuse on the wiring.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Not much of a DIY tutorial. I just mod a 4 spoke mitsu steering wheel that has a bigger brass horn contact by adding old brass contact from my 3 spoke lancer steering which got cracks and sunburn. Used some copper conductive tape to stick them together. I do guitar repairs and the copper tape are use for ground shielding of the guitar wiring cavity. Hence I have bits and pieces in my workshop.

Here's the photo.

The one sticking...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience