DIY - 'Magnetrap' - Oil Filter Magnet

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
If the magnetic is strong then it will catch any metal that flows by. I have cut out used filter on my 206 before got some fine sand like stuff stuck at the oil filter wall where the magnet is attached. The magnets on HDD is different from normal magnet where the magnetism is very much stronger.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If the magnetic is strong then it will catch any metal that flows by. I have cut out used filter on my 206 before got some fine sand like stuff stuck at the oil filter wall where the magnet is attached. The magnets on HDD is different from normal magnet where the magnetism is very much stronger.
Wah! like that means those still pass the filter element....:confused:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Vr2, I cant be sure but if the fluid is under pressure sure the flow speed is high and you know oil filter is mainly made from paper element. If it's something sharp could cut through the filter element. I can't verify this but just my thought.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
If we change the oil filter frequently and don't delay the service interval, I guess not much metal impurities will go though the filter. My 2 cents..

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Drain plug metal filing stick to it is good, then can clear them out, but necessary for the oil filter? Isn't the filter suppose to do the job?
I put them on both location. No metal pieces on eo oil drain plug, more of a metal dust but inside the pry open air filter(God knows how hard is it to manually cut the air filter in half using steel cutter), there are mixture of tiny sand and metal dust.
I forget to mentioned, I have done it on gearbox too. Guess what, thick yellowish metal dust on transmission fluid drain plug. Must be my sister changing gear without fully engage the
clutch :banghead:.

If we change the oil filter frequently and don't delay the service interval, I guess not much metal impurities will go though the filter. My 2 cents..
More aye and less nay :biggrin:.
Yes : As the material of eo will degrade and become less effective after certain usage / period, service on time will avoid the build up of metal impurities inside. Reason for 5k - 10k service interval depend on eo type. Being a lousy driver, I usually change eo about 0.5k earlier from the service interval.
Nay : Most of the damage to the engine part happened during cold start where the cylinder, piston and whatever moving inside are not properly lubricated yet. Reason why I stay away from buying a lady driven car as I have seen many start their car and rev away. Old people tend to rev their car '99' to reach the optimum temperature in fastest way...

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I put them on both location. No metal pieces on eo oil drain plug, more of a metal dust but inside the pry open air filter(God knows how hard is it to manually cut the air filter in half using steel cutter), there are mixture of tiny sand and metal dust.
I forget to mentioned, I have done it on gearbox too. Guess what, thick yellowish metal dust on transmission fluid drain plug. Must be my sister changing gear without fully engage the
I think you mean oil filter?:confused::biggrin:

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

This one sure change with oil change....:driver:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Actually, why on earth are there so much metal shards in your engines la? Mine was rebuilt so I have an excuse. You guys probably have fully run in engines and I don't see how you can get metal pieces floating around your oils.

Anyway, I put my magnets on my oil sump (inside). Everytime I'm in the mood I take out the sump tray and hey presto, the magnet is still there covered in metal filings. Now when I think about it, it's probably not a good idea to have a huge block of metal inside the engine hor? Especially if the magnetism loses its properties.

Oh shit. Ok I have something to do this weekend.

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur

More aye and less nay :biggrin:.
Yes : As the material of eo will degrade and become less effective after certain usage / period, service on time will avoid the build up of metal impurities inside. Reason for 5k - 10k service interval depend on eo type. Being a lousy driver, I usually change eo about 0.5k earlier from the service interval.
Nay : Most of the damage to the engine part happened during cold start where the cylinder, piston and whatever moving inside are not properly lubricated yet. Reason why I stay away from buying a lady driven car as I have seen many start their car and rev away. Old people tend to rev their car '99' to reach the optimum temperature in fastest way...
Hmmmm...to be frank, I've never warm up my engine in the morning. Just start engine and go.

Engines have optimum operating temperature range and the best and fastest way to reach that temperature is to drive them right away. This way, all the components reach optimum temp at the same rate. Idling too long to warm the engine up means the components are operating below optimum temperature longer so they'll exhibit more wear.

The key here is not to overstress the engine early in the operation, i.e to slowly build the rev as you go.

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
I have a habit of letting the engine idle for 3-5 mins before moving slowly and build up the revs... At cold start the idling for warming up will come down and thats when i start driving.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Actually, why on earth are there so much metal shards in your engines la? Mine was rebuilt so I have an excuse. You guys probably have fully run in engines and I don't see how you can get metal pieces floating around your oils.

Anyway, I put my magnets on my oil sump (inside). Everytime I'm in the mood I take out the sump tray and hey presto, the magnet is still there covered in metal filings. Now when I think about it, it's probably not a good idea to have a huge block of metal inside the engine hor? Especially if the magnetism loses its properties.

Oh shit. Ok I have something to do this weekend.
How big is the magnet? If big, you are replacing the space meant for the engine oil....:driver:

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

I have a habit of letting the engine idle for 3-5 mins before moving slowly and build up the revs... At cold start the idling for warming up will come down and thats when i start driving.
I start the engine, let the oil circulate for a while, reverse out then come out to lock the gate then drive slowly for 1st km or so....

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I always start engine and let it sit at least 3-5 minutes while I take stuffs to put in my car and also open the gates. NO air cond too. Hate it when my friends or family member simply touch my cars.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
i normally turn ac after +-30seconds the engine started to give small load for faster engine warmp-up....

why +-30seconds? because it was roughly taking that time for the engine oil to fully lubricating all engine area and the oil pump was fully primed up for its job...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Due to popular demand, Mazda Motor Corporation has announced that they are extending the production of the Special Edition Mazda RX-8 Spirit R by 1000 units. This final special edition model was originally intended to be only 1000 of them, but it was such a hit since its launch back in November 2011 that made Mazda to come up with this surprising call...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience