DIY - 'Magnetrap' - Oil Filter Magnet

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
There are many many brands of Magnetic Thingy being sold out there, to trap debris from engine oil to prevent it to go into the engine by somehow magnetize them and keep them stuck into the oil filter. Sometimes I wonder how it trap debris from all aluminum engine blocks. Anyway, there might be tiny steel debris hanging in the engine oil...

Products like these...

The concept of it seems to be simple enough. We just need Magnets right? Not those weak Fridge Magnets. But those Industrial strength magnets. Here are some :

- Hard Disk Magnets (Scroll to the end of the post, to know how to get them free)
- Electric Motor Magnets
- Magic Healing Neodymium Magnet (from lelong.com.my) I don't know what they are.. but they are shiny, and I got mine, i got 14 of them, from China when I was there.... they are cute and cheap RM0.50 per pair.. so i bought some for fun... Never knew that they are selling them here for RM 70 per pair !! (Suppose to have healing power) hmm.. no wonder I am healing and strong.

Here you go..

For this example, I used a Proton Oil Filter which I borrowed from a mechanic friend near my house.

Here is the layout of how you can Maximize magnet power if you have lots of magnets.

Here is the layout if you have Flat magnets. Which is sufficient enough for most cars.

Upside down test!! Of course, when you drive around, it might be bouncy, you will need to fasten these round magnets.

For flat magnets, they are really strong. It can be firmly stuck at the bottom.

If you need to stick them, you can use EPOXY Glue or Industrial Strength double sided tape. No worries, magnets are cheap and free.. if you loose them, just go to LowYatt rubbish bin and dig out some spoiled HDD.

Happy DIYing !

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Seems legit! Good one I shall try it!

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
I'm using Hard Disk magnet....they stick like a bitch...

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Not all magnets can be used at high temperature condition. The magnetic field will degrade with increasing temp.

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I'm using Hard Disk magnet....they stick like a bitch...
Me too but it collect some steel pieces like small washer and even paper clip along the way.
My oil filter turn DBKL...lol.
I stick one of the 3.5" hdd magnet to oil drain nut also and during service, there are tiny steel dust stick on the nut's tip(old car already). As good as having a magnetic oil drain nut.(during DIY service, first rub the magnet to the nut's tip and head until another small steel object can stick to the nut without magnet help, put the nut in place, tighten using torque wrench, stick the magnet to the head and bingo!)

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
i used woofer speaker magnet. Got it free from a audio shop...

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
I have hifi speaker magnets, size of my palm in a donut shape. I shall magnetize the filter too...will duck tape work?

goohtj

Known Member
Dec 27, 2004
I have hifi speaker magnets, size of my palm in a donut shape. I shall magnetize the filter too...will duck tape work?
no need tape. if magnet drop off. meaning the magnet is not strong enough for this application...

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
So its suppose to be strong enough to withstand bumps and vibration from the road? Ok, lemme scourge some boxes.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Me too but it collect some steel pieces like small washer and even paper clip along the way.
My oil filter turn DBKL...lol.
I stick one of the 3.5" hdd magnet to oil drain nut also and during service, there are tiny steel dust stick on the nut's tip(old car already). As good as having a magnetic oil drain nut.(during DIY service, first rub the magnet to the nut's tip and head until another small steel object can stick to the nut without magnet help, put the nut in place, tighten using torque wrench, stick the magnet to the head and bingo!)
Drain plug metal filing stick to it is good, then can clear them out, but necessary for the oil filter? Isn't the filter suppose to do the job?

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
VR2, I stick the magnet under the oil filter because the oil enters from the center then back out from the side holes...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
VR2, I stick the magnet under the oil filter because the oil enters from the center then back out from the side holes...
What I mean is the filter element will trap the dirt and metal filing.....:smokin:
Anyway, in the filter the oil flow also under pressure, not so easy to capture the filing using just a magnet?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Maranello, Italy. 1st September 2018:

Ferrari, most people would know them as Formula 1 champions, and makers of expensive supercars.

View attachment 572014
Tomorrow is Monza, Ferrari’s own backyard. Kimi and Vettel 1-2 starting grid. Will they achieve a 1-2 finish?

The prancing horse is the epitome of performance automotive machines. Is it the best? The most advanced? The most exotic? Not necessarily. But when you mention supercars, the first make that come to people’s minds all...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience