[DIY] Flush ATF and change filter

ayen_s

Jan 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Now i wonder if my Proton Gen 2 have any ATF filter? Any body can answer this? If yes, i will do a DIY on this.

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Is it easy to plug out and replace the filter? How the filter works? I just see it sticks there.

About the ATF sump, when replace the gasket, should i put sealant on both side of
the gasket?

Cant wait to try out my DiaQueen. Now i scare 4L might not be enuff if i am going to
take down the sump and clean it.

Have u heard of magnetic oil sump plug? I got strong magnets. Could i DIY such a plug
by using super glue and stick the magnet on the plug?

Last edited:

ayen_s

Jan 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Have u heard of magnetic oil sump plug? I got strong magnets. Could i DIY such a plug
buy using super glue and stick the magnet on the plug?
I saw magnetic oil sump plug before in a heavy mechinery transmission. It works by attracting metal debris in the oil.

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
wow, thats a lot of fine metal debris there. Love to see some on the sump nut of my engine
so that i know the DIY is working but again my engine could be in deep shit already if that happens.

I got magnets laying around, i think i should stick some on the sump nuts with glue,
some on the oil filter side, and probably some on my fuel line too. Who knows,
magnets could be able to super charged the fuel and add more kick to it.

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Is it easy to plug out and replace the filter? How the filter works? I just see it sticks there.

About the ATF sump, when replace the gasket, should i put sealant on both side of
the gasket?

Cant wait to try out my DiaQueen. Now i scare 4L might not be enuff if i am going to
take down the sump and clean it.

by using super glue and stick the magnet on the plug?
The filter is just clipped into place. Unclip it and it'll be out lor. It's a paper filter so all the oil is force fed through the filter.

I have cases where the sump is just bolted on with the gasket without sealant. It'll work as long as the sump is level, the sealant will help if the sump is dented or slightly dented. But there's no harm putting sealant together with your gasket.

I plonked in a hard disc magnet inside the sump right next to the drain bolt. Don't superglue it otherwise it'll be hard to remove the debris. It'll 'stick' to the sump without the superglue, just that the magnetism might fade over time so remember to replace it.

mike77kl

Known Member
Aug 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
no, i mean to glue it on the other side of the drain bolt so that when put back,
the magnet will be submerge into the oil inside the oil sump, not the outside.

not sealant together with gasket only, i mean to put sealant on "both side" of the gasket.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
no, i mean to glue it on the other side of the drain bolt so that when put back,
the magnet will be submerge into the oil inside the oil sump, not the outside.

not sealant together with gasket only, i mean to put sealant on "both side" of the gasket.
If your magnet is thin and can fit into the screw hole, then do it! It's a good idea as long as the superglue can take the heat.

And yes, both sides of the gasket.

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
Bro,the inlet and outlet hose u mention is connected to the radiator rite??
i have persona here ...

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Now i wonder if my Proton Gen 2 have any ATF filter? Any body can answer this? If yes, i will do a DIY on this.
i jus bought ATF fluid for persona at spare part shop...they mention persona/gen2 dont have it...they said got steel mesh inside and no need change..anyone can clarify?:confused:

Wilson13B

Known Member
Dec 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Great write up bro =)

Dunno why Myvi gearbox are really sensitive to the ATF quality.....last time the gear shift on mine was laggy and unresponsive,i normally drive some automatic which is real sensitive on gear changes so it's a torture to drive the Myvi around the town......after that i replace the Filter,ATF and add a ATF cooler....the ATF and the filter is from Toyota,this type of ATF is real good stuff but came at a real affordable price,the ATF cooler is came from Hayden,after all is done the result was impressive,it put a smile on my face when 1st time test drive it,the gear change was alot smoother than before and can felt the gearbox transfer more torque to the wheel despite having a better FC too as the gearbox not shifting up and down constantly even during cruising.....the top speed somehow are also increased =)

DIY is a good activity to do as it save money and you can know what your ride is doing,my family just don't understand me,they say got money give mechanic do la,thier labour most expensive only 50bucks ma "on normal service" ....but DIY have the fun,the satisfied feel when all the work is done by yourself =)

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
bro izso, why u dont take out the inlet hose let the old oil flow out through the radiator??
i did mine last week and i create a mess because didnt put a hose flow out from the radiator..:mad:

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
bro, u should drain it from the drain plug....

the hose is only if u got the machine to flush.....

if the atf filter is mesh type then just clean it and re-use
bro,i mean actually after drain the atf oil from the drain plug,there is still some atf oil in the radiator..
After that pour 2 liter atf and start the car,the old oil in the radiator will flush out replace with the new one instead of coming out through the outlet hose only.. :smokin:

1 more thing, u mean taking out the mesh filter and clean it??:hmmmm:

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
bro izso, why u dont take out the inlet hose let the old oil flow out through the radiator??
i did mine last week and i create a mess because didnt put a hose flow out from the radiator..:mad:

LOL.. Dude, that was a big mistake la. I didn't disconnect from the radiator. I took it out from the gearbox itself and connected a separate hose from that outlet.

bro,i mean actually after drain the atf oil from the drain plug,there is still some atf oil in the radiator..
After that pour 2 liter atf and start the car,the old oil in the radiator will flush out replace with the new one instead of coming out through the outlet hose only.. :smokin:

1 more thing, u mean taking out the mesh filter and clean it??:hmmmm:
Only if it's made of metal mesh. Myvi uses paper. You can't wash that.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys
anyone using these PU foams in the car??..
i am just wondering how many brands are there out there?..whats the different between the expensive and cheap one...

heard expensive ca go up to RM600 per car..while some around RM100 ..

anyone have any comment of this?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience