Coupe RD1: Driving advice for hilly roads

Aug 28, 2006
Coupe RD1: Driving advice for hilly roads?

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding driving an automatic transmission coupe up the hilly roads of Ulu Yam (or Genting Sempah) to Genting. Previously, I drove a manual Ranger and having a turbo-charged diesel engine, it had ample torque for a comfortable drive up to Genting. However, I drive a RD1 coupe nowadays, and here's my question.

I usually leave the Overdrive turned on, and the switch in Normal mode for city and highway driving. This setting is perfect for relaxed cruising. However, when I encounter some hilly roads, the coupe seems reluctant to rev-up. I put the pedal to the metal, and the revs slowly drop until around 2,000 rpms before the gears switch, but it still feels like it's in overdrive. Switching to Sports mode delays the gear change, but it hardly makes much difference.

So, is the only solution to turn off Overdrive when tackling a hilly road? I was expecting the automatic transmission to be smart enough to know I'm trying to scale a gradient. Or is there something I need to check in the engine? I'm not expecting to race up Genting, but want to find out if this is normal.

Thanks.

Last edited:

alangbudi

Known Member
Jun 10, 2006
Can't help coz i"m driving manual.

Hamiksu

Apr 28, 2008
bro... how do you switch to Overdrive mode? Do u mean gear "2" for automatic gear?

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
bro... how do you switch to Overdrive mode? Do u mean gear "2" for automatic gear?
There's a little button on the right side of the stick, which you activate with your thumb. It's just below that big button that you depress to shift the stick. I normally leave OvD 'On'.

Hamiksu

Apr 28, 2008
There's a little button on the right side of the stick, which you activate with your thumb. It's just below that big button that you depress to shift the stick. I normally leave OvD 'On'.
Found 3 manuals to this.. thanks anyway bro :wavey:

Couldn't see the main page of HCC forum, dunno why? If any of you wants the manual kindly leave me a reply. Its mechanical and electrical manual for RD1 and operating manual. Quite useful since this car is more than 10 years for those buying it recond.

marcus0919

500 RPM
Oct 28, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
i face the same problem too..
the 3rd gear rpm ll going down be4 changing gear..
i think is the gear box or engine problem..
feel to charge to manual gear box..

TCSIM

1,000 RPM
Apr 20, 2007
I am going Genting tomorrow.. see if I face such problem or not...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The Red Bull Rookies team is finally complete following the selection of the remaining two drivers from Singapore and Brunei to join the current two Malaysian drivers that will compete in the upcoming Sepang 1000KM race in December.

Malaysians Mark Darwin, 21, and Siti Shahkirah Shaharul, 17, will be joined by Singaporean Emmiline Ang and Bruneian Fauziah binti Haji Haziz @ Ogy. Emmiline, 23, is the first...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience