Conversion GSR 1.8 Turbo (4G93T) - Wira/Satria/Putra

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
Yup, do from ground up.
TS got pretty much cover wira handling.
Masuk engine jalan terus. Hahaha...

TS, my wira is daily ride. Engine all stock. 2yrs already.
GSR stock brake front, rear. Upgrade brake pads.
Manual gb 4wd lock 2wd.
Got bad brake servo, replaced with CRV servo.
Clutch oem vr4. Final. Early with 3 puck clutch then 4 puck. In fact Leg no pain already but not that suitable for daily.
Coilovers 6k/4k just nice. 8k/4k my butt not likey and shitty roads.
lightweight 15 inch wheels ssr type C. 195/55 rubber ps3.

If you can get manual box go for it. If u stuck in traffic everyday 1hr ++, auto always better. We talk practically.

Full Halfcut gsr auto last i see is 12.5k.
I've got friends who did turbo engine swaps (some with manual and some with autobox) with no supporting mod. The engine and gearbox is fine (manual and auto), but the drive is horrible. El cheapo suspension mod with no regards to balancing the spring rate for street use (ala2 for track suka 10k/8k spring rate and doesnt care about damping/rebound rates, but never drives to track and only drives on street), stock and plushy brake servos, single pot brakes with overdue brake pads, and used tyres (used wheel okay lagi, but used tyre? come on). Sat in a few of those cars and from there I've decided that supporting mod must go first (for me personally), horses later. Cherish life ma. Plus, torque steer/understeer/oversteer everytime we drive is no fun. Only when we want it to understeer/oversteer/torque steer according to our demand, baru syiok ma.

Though, from your experience, would coilover with spring rate 6k/4k sedap for street use for our Wira (mine aeroback though, heavier at the back)? I seek for firmness, but not bone shocking rebound and damping loh when driving on Malaysia streets.

And, 15 inches okay ke? Would going upsize of 16/17 be okay? I somewhat feel 15 inches are not sufficient to haul the GSR torque (too much wheelspin perhaps?), although Lancer specs did indicate it was 15 inches from factory setup.

Going for practical, autobox. Though, I do spirited driving once awhile (tipu kalau takda loh, in highway suka suka boost or in empty roads).

Got test-drive-sit-next-to-driver? Mau feel abit GSR kick hahahaha

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor

(1) Is 4G93T reliable for daily drive with occassional spirited driving? Engine stock and locked 2WD 4-speed autobox.
Honestly speaking. mitsu engine are robust and reliable. Pecah no problem, easy to source and cheap too.

(2) Is the torque from 4G93T 2WD autobox too much for my chassis (C97)?
If you worry on chassis, can strengthen it by doing spot weld,etc, at common failure part, eg; engine mount. One shot while your engine is out and bay is empty for strengthen work.

(6) What are the cost that I need to be prepared for doing this transplant legally and safely? Assuming the halfcut cost between 11-12k.
apart from engine, just do top overhaul with belts and waterpump etc replace. have a spare alternator because u don't know how long the alternator has been or whether it has being swapped. if you get the engine and gbox at much lower price, full overhaul is a good idea.

(7) I’m doing a front Evo 3 twinpot brake and rear single pot brake upgrade, fully adjustable threaded AR Racing adjustable (5k/4k rate), and 16-inch Advanti lightweight rim with PS4 (205/50/16). Would these future supporting mods be enough to handle the GSR autobox swap?
-get a decent pad for your front caliper
-make sure your adjustable is servicable.

(9) Any comments on this swap? Preferably constructive ones.
take it slow and do it right first time. Stock = reliability.

Your advise would be great. If any were to indicate where I can do engine swap with reliable workmanship and price, that’d be best. I’m down for a yumcha session for this topic, so, hit me if you are keen.
if you work and stay in klang. probably can meetup.

no difference on the bill for buying used one vs built yourself.Still need pay a lum sum of cash. You are going for mod car, owner should aware what he is getting into.

Personal POV.
built = more money + reliability is there. U know your car.
used car = cheap + ticking time bomb(reliability unsure)
I would agree. Did hear consensus across GSR/EVO owners and those who make a living fixing cars that Mitsubishi engines are robust and reliable. Spareparts are abundant and easy to source (price is depending on areas and rarity).

I dont think I can strengthen engine mount spots with spot welding. If i were to do that and send my car for inspection to legalize my Wira swapping GSR block, they would fail the inspection due to doubts of chassis integrity. If after inspection, different cerita. But, is my knowledge right? :O

I'm thinking a full overhaul of engine and gearbox, unless the condition of the halfcut is healthy as cow, then maybe not. Wear and tear would be replaced for sure (timing belt, anything of oil fluid, engine mount, brake pads/servos, and etc).

Would probably go for any reputable brake pad brands. Not going el cheapo on this, as I'm aware on the importance of brake pads/disc, tyres, and suspension. They are the few sole item in our car that stops our car, and that can ultimately save our lives when condition arises.

Do it right and slow, yeah, would probably do so with patience. But not too slow loh hahahahah. I'm working near Batu Tiga, in Centro Building. Perhaps TT or yumcha session?

Agreed on your POV perspective. I would go for "built". The tangible items have their prices, but the journey and experience that we get is priceless (selalu masuk workshop is part of it).

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
some got. but very rabak seats. ahahaha
Dont need seats bro. I got sscus front seats, Wira SE stock black seats, and Evo 3 door trims and Evo 3 black side steps. Some example picture are as below (not my photo, but they are in my car). The only outstanding project is to do complete Sunroof/change roof to avoid rusting and to recarpet the whole A/B/C pillar and roof to have black carpet. So car inside look fully black, ala2 BMW M3 E46 interior. Also, to have GSR black dashboard (digital meter or not tak apa) with proper car health gauges (boost/temp/vac).

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
(1) Is 4G93T reliable for daily drive with occassional spirited driving? Engine stock and locked 2WD 4-speed autobox.
Reliable as i drive daily. Spare parts banyak.
Mine manual lock 2wd.
(2) Is the torque from 4G93T 2WD autobox too much for my chassis (C97)?
My wira have same chassis as yours. Can tahan lah. Just don heavy right leg from each stop. Koyak nanti.
(3) Would 4G93T autobox be suitable to mod my Wira to become a cruiser? NVH, power delivery.
I drive manual. Anyway can cruise. Wish got 6th gear. Hahaha...
(4) What are the common problems that I should expect when I do GSR swap into my Wira?
It depends. Cant really pin point u exactly what will happen. Like mine i have idling issue. Solve with new isc.
(5) I’m trying to build a cruiser out of my Wira swapped GSR with decent torque pull in highway. On wide open throttle (WOT), would it pull easily in the range from 0-160 with the autobox?
Don worry. It will go 180kmh as stated by speedo.
In 4th gear can tarik till 160.
(6) What are the cost that I need to be prepared for doing this transplant legally and safely? Assuming the halfcut cost between 11-12k.
Halfcut already 11-12k as expected.
Prepare some extra for critical need to replace parts. Wajib to replace. Timing belt, radiator, clutch set.. Etc.
(7) I’m doing a front Evo 3 twinpot brake and rear single pot brake upgrade, fully adjustable threaded AR Racing adjustable (5k/4k rate), and 16-inch Advanti lightweight rim with PS4 (205/50/16). Would these future supporting mods be enough to handle the GSR autobox swap?
I on stock gsr brake. Can handle lah. Don worry.
Upgrade brake pads. Replace brake servo.
On 6k/4k coilovers.
15 inch wheel. 195/55. Cukup economical.. lol.
(8) Any indicative RPM in 4th gear autobox with 16-inch rims at 110/140/160?
Need taikor zth. I can't comment. Hehehe
(9) Any comments on this swap? Preferably constructive ones.
Start slowly, don jump too fast for upgrades.
Let the old heart running. Duno how long it being asleep. Remember. Let it stretch old bones. Don rush.
Unless u already have donor then diff story.

Cant yumcha with u. I in penang. Haizz..
Tak apa bro, i come penang, easy. hahahahahaha.

Will start slowly, for the excitement and journey hahahaha. Though, have you tried 15/16/17 inches wheel and rubber in your GSR? Wonder how's the impact on every inches to turbo based GSR, like, would it have drastic negative impact in FC and torque.

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
stock with light mods~

TS still havent reply back. haha
reply already! hahahahah

stock with light mods? different people, different definition of "light" hahahahah

though, would overboosting from 0.6 to 1.0 bar be tolerable for the engine? reduced lifespan is understandable, though, not pedal to metal from every stop should be fine qua, kan?

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
or maybe can get other engine option as well.. such as 4g93 sohc.. or 4g67 block with 4g63t kit.. get RVR cheaper than evo..
4g67 block with 4g63t swap/rojak or built kits? hmmmmm, doesn't suit my taste i think hahahahha. quite sure im going for gsr turbo as it's legitimately legal from JPJ perspective and likely not to have issues in the long run with enforcement. kalau track, different cerita loh hahaha

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
I've got friends who did turbo engine swaps (some with manual and some with autobox) with no supporting mod. The engine and gearbox is fine (manual and auto), but the drive is horrible. El cheapo suspension mod with no regards to balancing the spring rate for street use (ala2 for track suka 10k/8k spring rate and doesnt care about damping/rebound rates, but never drives to track and only drives on street), stock and plushy brake servos, single pot brakes with overdue brake pads, and used tyres (used wheel okay lagi, but used tyre? come on). Sat in a few of those cars and from there I've decided that supporting mod must go first (for me personally), horses later. Cherish life ma. Plus, torque steer/understeer/oversteer everytime we drive is no fun. Only when we want it to understeer/oversteer/torque steer according to our demand, baru syiok ma.

Though, from your experience, would coilover with spring rate 6k/4k sedap for street use for our Wira (mine aeroback though, heavier at the back)? I seek for firmness, but not bone shocking rebound and damping loh when driving on Malaysia streets.

And, 15 inches okay ke? Would going upsize of 16/17 be okay? I somewhat feel 15 inches are not sufficient to haul the GSR torque (too much wheelspin perhaps?), although Lancer specs did indicate it was 15 inches from factory setup.

Going for practical, autobox. Though, I do spirited driving once awhile (tipu kalau takda loh, in highway suka suka boost or in empty roads).

Got test-drive-sit-next-to-driver? Mau feel abit GSR kick hahahaha

6k/4k for aeroback with gsrT+autobox 4wd locked is pretty good.. firm not bouncy...but if u want on softer side no harm trying 5k for the front and 3k for rear....

my satria 1.6 auto ran 4k front and 3k rear...which is spot on when preggy wife driving with no worries...

Reactions: minibeany

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Tak apa bro, i come penang, easy. hahahahahaha.

Will start slowly, for the excitement and journey hahahaha. Though, have you tried 15/16/17 inches wheel and rubber in your GSR? Wonder how's the impact on every inches to turbo based GSR, like, would it have drastic negative impact in FC and torque.
Plan your journey.
Since ur wira is auto like mine. Reinforce that firewall portion for clutch pedal attachment if u plan racing clutch. edit : Ooops u want auto, sorry.
my ride on ssr type-c + ps3 195/55/15. Since for daily, 55 profile can help compensate that coilovers firmness.
i tempted to try 16 but so far on 15 inch i got no problem in handling and NVH. Dont waste lah.
estimate rm4-5k for 16' ori "used" wheels + rubber.
I not convert to race/drag but have ready powahh to pull away. :laugh:
17 is too much lah can feel ants explode if run over it. Wakakaka...

Last edited:
Reactions: minibeany

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
I would agree. Did hear consensus across GSR/EVO owners and those who make a living fixing cars that Mitsubishi engines are robust and reliable. Spareparts are abundant and easy to source (price is depending on areas and rarity).

I dont think I can strengthen engine mount spots with spot welding. If i were to do that and send my car for inspection to legalize my Wira swapping GSR block, they would fail the inspection due to doubts of chassis integrity. If after inspection, different cerita. But, is my knowledge right? :O

I'm thinking a full overhaul of engine and gearbox, unless the condition of the halfcut is healthy as cow, then maybe not. Wear and tear would be replaced for sure (timing belt, anything of oil fluid, engine mount, brake pads/servos, and etc).

Would probably go for any reputable brake pad brands. Not going el cheapo on this, as I'm aware on the importance of brake pads/disc, tyres, and suspension. They are the few sole item in our car that stops our car, and that can ultimately save our lives when condition arises.

Do it right and slow, yeah, would probably do so with patience. But not too slow loh hahahahah. I'm working near Batu Tiga, in Centro Building. Perhaps TT or yumcha session?

Agreed on your POV perspective. I would go for "built". The tangible items have their prices, but the journey and experience that we get is priceless (selalu masuk workshop is part of it).
Duno i'm lucky or what. I bought halfcut masuk terus, no overhaul. Mechs test/confirm that halfcut.
those critical parts replaced.
For 2 yrs++ , touch wood.

Batu Tiga ..hmm u work near central sugar CSR ?

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
6k/4k for aeroback with gsrT+autobox 4wd locked is pretty good.. firm not bouncy...but if u want on softer side no harm trying 5k for the front and 3k for rear....

my satria 1.6 auto ran 4k front and 3k rear...which is spot on when preggy wife driving with no worries...
Probably going to give 6k/4k a go, since the box macam heavy and my rear also heavy.

Since i might have 3 people sitting at the rear once awhile, i think 4k spring rate is required. Daily drive, sure got people sit de especially my team members for lunch session. Janji dont sagat can d hahahaha

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
Plan your journey.
Since ur wira is auto like mine. Reinforce that firewall portion for clutch pedal attachment if u plan racing clutch. edit : Ooops u want auto, sorry.
my ride on ssr type-c + ps3 195/55/15. Since for daily, 55 profile can help compensate that coilovers firmness.
i tempted to try 16 but so far on 15 inch i got no problem in handling and NVH. Dont waste lah.
Was thinking 16 inch incase my Evo brakes cant fit nicely. Also, tyre choices macam wider. 205/50/16 should have the same amount of sidewall or slightly more than 195/55/15, so should still be able to absorb the road similarly like yours. Just that, any additional/unnecessary unsprung weight would be bad for FC and pickup lu. Sakit one time, janji drive syok hahahah

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
Duno i'm lucky or what. I bought halfcut masuk terus, no overhaul. Mechs test/confirm that halfcut.
those critical parts replaced.
For 2 yrs++ , touch wood.

Batu Tiga ..hmm u work near central sugar CSR ?
I work in Centro Building, next to Hokkien Association. I’m working with Singtel, so yeah.

I was thinking if the mech who is to work on my GSR swap project were to recommend no overhaul is required, then I’ll follow his advice. Unless the halfcut show signs of fatigue, then overhaul I would do.

Though, is the GSR in stock form with the autobox quick enough to give some g-force on acceleration (etc, sink you into the seat)? Any idea? Manual i think shud give you the “feel” of sinking into the seat, but auto? Hmmmmmm

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
Plan your journey.
Oh yeah, probably going for a full suspension refurbishment of control arms, bushes, and joints. I wonder a budget of 2k would be sufficient to buy all those control arms, joints, be sufficient (excluding workmanship)? Want a good rideeeee

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Was thinking 16 inch incase my Evo brakes cant fit nicely. Also, tyre choices macam wider. 205/50/16 should have the same amount of sidewall or slightly more than 195/55/15, so should still be able to absorb the road similarly like yours. Just that, any additional/unnecessary unsprung weight would be bad for FC and pickup lu. Sakit one time, janji drive syok hahahah
If brakes issue then cannot be helped, you need larger rim/tyres. Most still use15 over 16 is because of tyre choices and price

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

my fren car was stolen on tuesday (30/08/2005) around 5 pm in the
evening. the location at TAMAN SEGAR , JALAN LEMAK 2

the car is a wira dark grey color, just convert to 4g91 recently.
15 white BSA inch , 10 inch front windscreen sticker , skirting and exaust

this happen when he found out the key hole at the rear bonet was missing
he go home and call his fren to check for the price. On the same time , he heard
the car alarm trigger. when he went out, he saw the thief is driving his car...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience