Accord 00-03 Question & my pain with SO4

ToyoR1R

Jun 28, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Good evening to all,

I'm planning to get a Accord, from 2000-2003, 2.0-2.3, is this batch of accord = CF4? I would love to know this batch of Accord, wheres around 9-11 years old, got any common probs? Like engine overheat, engine oil leak, gearbox, lower arms and etc.

As I have bad experiences with my 96 yrs SO4, that I spent over 20K already, but still keep giving me headache. Some of you may think that my SO4 must at least loaded with stock B16A and look good, but sadly no. It is still running on 1.6 single cam, with auto transmission and look ugly.....:bawling:

This is how it begin, pain with my SO4
When I first got this as used car, stock engine run over 200k km, then it serve me around 100k km it begin with overheating problem, consumed lot of water. As all we will do and foreman will recommend, wash and service radiator, later no fix, then top overhaul. There is something funny happen after top overhaul, estimate less than 300km, maybe you guys can tell me whats were wrong here. I was driving at midnight 2/3 a.m. the engine suddenly making loud grinding noise, I stop by and open the bonnet, saw the timing belt cover is break and the belt came out from there.:stupid No choice but to tow to shop next morning.. ermm.. mech told me this could be some kind of rod to join the top and bottom part of the engine (I forgot what's that call) not fix properly after the top overhaul, so I call to the shop where I did the top overhaul, ok they will send their tow truck over and repair for me at FOC this time.
After that, everything were fine until one day I driving uphill to genting.... overheating again ~
This time it consumed more water than ever, after tat I have to fill water every 2-3 days, until one day I burnt it..........:bawling: by that time it already gave me many funny noise from bottom of the car....

Then I do transplant at munlee with same standard engine, and I was told the gb were fxxxed as well, so together with that and some used condition lower, upper, left, right arms, bushes and bla bla, cost me 9.4k...everything were fixed and fine after that.

After 4-5 months, the funny noise from bottoms come back....:bawling: I patiently waiting for another few months, until the noise get louder and make me think that some parts of the car may fall apart if I keep driving.... So I decided to do replacement almost everything for it's "leg"..
This time my good Mech at Serdang advise me to get original parts, for those obsolete original parts, go for Thailand make... So this time I got new lower, upper arms, bushes and many more.. cost me 3.7k and 3 working days.

Not to mention replacement for those wear & tear and other fast worn and unavoidable parts like alternator, throttle body, starter and etc, there's over 20k I've spent.

Till recently overheating happen again ~:mad::mad:.. go get radiator wash & service.. it was ok but can't rev hard like 5-6k rpm anymore.. otherwise overheat again...so.. this is why now I consider to change other car instead of repeated what I have spent for the civic.

Above is what I've experienced before, and this time I don't expect a used Accord can serve me long without any major problem. But at least, I expect for another 100k before the engine and gb fail, so please share me your experience with Accord 00-03 before I get one.

Thanks

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Bro, I'm driving an SO4 as well, year '97. So scared after reading 'bout your experience. I've spent about 7-8k replacing faulty parts & wear and tear items (tyres, absorber, throttle body, brake pads etc). Thank god, no problems so far.

Umm, about getting the used Accord, I wouldn't recommend it. I think U better get a new car instead and no need to worry about maintaining a used car anymore..

ToyoR1R

Jun 28, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Bro thanks for your comment, I'm considering some cheap new car as well now... As I really drive a lot.. You shldn't too worry if you are not running too much ya. When I got it as used car, is already 200k over.. and within a year, I top it up to 300k. The car were heavy used and even heavier when I have it, that is where's the problems begin....

And for my case, I believe is some poor workmanship causing the first engine life shorter after top overhaul. I've very little knowledge about car but from what I've heard, the timing belt and pulley will never break its cover in any condition unless it wasnt fix in properly after the job. For auto GB, I bet it would give some signal first before it completely broke down, like when shift in reverse gear, it wasnt smooth as usual, then from this very 1st symptom I bet it still can last for like 50-80k km? SO4 is well known of it's "leg" problem, just to remind all SO4 owner don't repeat the same mistake like I did, for it's "leg" parts, go for original Honda parts if possible, instead of wasting money on used parts.

In overall I'm still satisfied with Honda SO4, the multi-link design of its "leg" would cost a lot when its failed, but the multi-link design give stability and good handling in SO4 compare to many new entry level car nowadays.

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
With all the problems U endure with the car, no wonder U got fed up already. Be patient bro.. Getting a new small car is not a bad option bcos fuel price is surely getting up again this year :bawling:. But if you are travelling a lot, you might not be very comfortable travelling long distances on the highway.

Poor workmanship is almost certainly be the case I think. The head bolt might not be tightened evenly.. Just my guess. My dad's 20-year old Nissan Sentra got a major overhaul job done some 8 years ago at 280k mileage. Now at 400k it still runs smoothly.

Bro ToyoR1R, about the "leg" problem u mentioned, do U mean it's the front/rear upper arm and lower arm? I don't really know much about cars also, hehe..

Hm, about the original honda parts, as far as I know, there are two types:
(1) original Honda parts (made in Japan)
(2) original Honda parts (made in Thailand)

I use only made in Thai parts bcos the Japan made are very expensive. For example, the front upper arm (u-shaped) is nearly RM300 a piece for Japan made but only RM75 for the Thai made! In terms of quality, of course the Japan made is much better. I compared them side to side and can differentiate the quality (metal part, rubber bushing, paint etc). Mine (Thai made) has some rust already only after 6 months of use.

aalto

Known Member
Dec 31, 2004
sorry...but i just realized what you meant by "leg",...Usually people call it "arm"....upper arm,lower arm,control arm...etc...just for u're info..:biggrin:

g4i8y0t :
The upper & lower arms are very durable, chop shops ones are good enough (made in japan also) just need to make sure it isn't bent , its the bushings that are the usually the main culprit. Just swap the bushes with OEM/aftermarket bushes. It'll be almost like new... but way cheaper..

Last edited:

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
honestly i think if u were to buy any 2nd hand car, the problem u suffered with ur so4 may repeat as the car is old, wear and tear will slowly but surely come..

if u want to avoid all these headaches, i'd suggest getting a new car. even if its not a car u want/adore, it wouldnt give u those headaches, at least for 2-3 years..

im an so4 owner as well, and i've spent quite a huge sum repairing NOISE and RATTLING etc. its a war u will never win. u fix one, and another appears.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi everyone,

Before I started here, I was lookout in Achieve but couldn’t fine any topics which can help, so here my scenario and questions.

My Machine 4G61NA, with 1.8 head cylinders, but currently need to be overhauling the engine. Therefore I decided to upgrade at the same time as well. In my mind was thinking about 1.8 or 2.0NA, now my questions is what are the 1.8 or...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience