problem with alternator?

4G56

Sep 29, 2005
hi guys.....i need ur help
i'm using a 4mth old iswara lmst
this morning car couldn start......mechanic check n said battery died. replace to a brand new battery. i have dis problem....when my car is idle, battery light comes on.....but when i rev up it goes off.....can anyone tell me wats da problem? could dat be the cause for my batt to die within 4 months?

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
ure car still under warranty .. have the battery replaced at the nearest proton service centre. since its still new car, many possibilities could be reason of battery failure.

as decision cant be made accurately, and we dont know whether exactly the alternator gives problem. Have the battery replaced 1st and run test for few months and see whether the battery have same problem or not:

1. If have same problem, means the alternator is charging the battery on higher voltage than it supposed to be or its not charging at all.

2. If u dont have the same problem, then .. have a good driving day ahead! ;)

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
Some more request,

1. U use the car daily?

2. If not, how often u start the engine? 3 - 4 days once?

3. U have any recent audio system or spot light installed?

4. If have new audio system installed, have a grounding kit installed, this may reduce the battery power loss.

(THIS ONLY IF U HAVE ACCESSORIES INSTALLED)
Remember, battery need recharging very often when ure car aircond swithced on together headlamp on, spot light on and audio system is running. So at this point if u reach home, turn ignition off .. ure car will have problem starting next day .. because the battery loses power at all the devices run before this. If u have all these and dont have grounding kit, make sure when u park ure car, off all those accessories .. let the car be in idle for 10mins .. for the alternator charges the battery. If u cant, get a turbo timer :)

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
How would u know when your alternator is having problem?

How do u check if your alternator is the problem and not the battery? What are the symptoms?

4G56

Sep 29, 2005
thanx dude for the reply.
well.....i think the alternator is ok cause when da engine was on, i removed the the battery cable n the engine didnt die. ppl say if engine die means then its alternator problem.
is it because my alternator belt is loose ah?....cause when engine idle.....batt light appears, but when rev up....light dissapear. anyway, i use my car everyday.....i have a cd player n a pair of 500watts kenwood speakers....no amp.

dev

Known Member
Dec 26, 2003
Pert, Australia
InitialD said:
How do u check if your alternator is the problem and not the battery? What are the symptoms?
use the battery volt meter tester... plug it on the negative n positive terminal... when u rev the reading should 13+v and max 14.2v (while u rev around 2000- 2500). normally b4 u start ur car it will read 12v as u start it up it should b more than 13+v (engine on idle).. if it doesnt go up, high chances of ur alternator kong o bout to.. :tee:

Last edited: