Need advice on licence and insurance - UK to KL

G-Forced

Jul 5, 2017
Kuala Lumpur
Hi all

I'm moving to Kuala Lumpur in the next few weeks and I'm thinking of purchasing a car. I know about the high taxation of imports vs locally produced cars.

1. Do I need to obtain a Malaysian licence to purchase and drive a car?

2. Can I use my UK licence and/or international driving licence to purchase and drive a car?

3. I have around 8 years of no claims bonus built up from the UK. Can I use this to insure a car in Malaysia and benefit from reduced insurance premiums?

Thanks!

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
From what I know, you don't need to have a Malaysian licence to buy a car. Last time, my friend got his car registered under his name even before he got his licence.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
My answer in bold below. FYI I'm also a foreigner who has lived in MY for almost 10 yrs now and already purchased 2 cars.

Hi all

I'm moving to Kuala Lumpur in the next few weeks and I'm thinking of purchasing a car. I know about the high taxation of imports vs locally produced cars.

1. Do I need to obtain a Malaysian licence to purchase and drive a car? No need

2. Can I use my UK licence and/or international driving licence to purchase and drive a car? Check in the JPJ website, there's a listing of valid licenses that can be used in MY. I think UK should be there.

3. I have around 8 years of no claims bonus built up from the UK. Can I use this to insure a car in Malaysia and benefit from reduced insurance premiums? No, they won't care about that coz they also cannot validate it. I think they can only validate your claim records in MY.

Thanks!

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hi all

1. Do I need to obtain a Malaysian licence to purchase and drive a car?

2. Can I use my UK licence and/or international driving licence to purchase and drive a car?

3. I have around 8 years of no claims bonus built up from the UK. Can I use this to insure a car in Malaysia and benefit from reduced insurance premiums?

Thanks!
1. You can buy the car without Malaysian Licence

2. Are you a UK citizen with valid UK driving license. If yes, should not be a problem getting an international license to drive in Malaysia. Why I ask is because my former Japanese boss got a valid international license from Canada, but because he was in Canada for the last 6 years, he let his Japanese license lapse and local JPJ did not accept, so he had to take a local test to get a local driving license. Hope this does not apply to you....:driver:

3. Probably need to start with a fresh new insurance policy....:smokin:

G-Forced

Jul 5, 2017
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for the replies. I had an international licence last year but it only lasts a year so it's expired. I should be able to get another one lasting a year. But I don't see the point if my UK licence is ok to use. If I need an international licence, it's better i get from the UK as its around 30 MYR. in malaysia, i believe it's 150 MYR

4. Will an international or uk licence affect my insurance premium, different to having a malaysian licence?

Last edited:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Thanks for the replies. I had an international licence last year but it only lasts a year so it's expired. I should be able to get another one lasting a year. But I don't see the point if my UK licence is ok to use. If I need an international licence, it's better i get from the UK as its around 30 MYR. in malaysia, i believe it's 150 MYR

4. Will an international or uk licence affect my insurance premium, different to having a malaysian licence?
To be honest, starting this month in Malaysia we have started detariffication of motor insurance, so we are much in the dark on the new policy that will be implemented....:hmmmm:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
What's detarffication? and of what? :listen:
Put it simple, insurance rates will be different depending on the car's driver. Last time, insurance rates are all same across the same car model and same insured value. Now, they are probably basing it on your driving habit and records.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Volkswagen Malaysia has just launched their brand new car, the 2011 Polo GTI. Powered by the same engine as the 1.4 litre Golf, this one has a supercharger/Turbo charger combo which is simply masturbation material for us gear heads. But priced at RM139,000, is that justifiable.

What are your impressions of the car and would you pay that amount of money for it? Seems a bit much as you can get anything from new Civics, to used Evo's for that price. But the 5 year maintenance free plan is...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience