Installing grounding wire

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
Hi all sifus

I am going to DIY installing recently bought pivot 5 point grounding wire.

I bought it in the first place after google around where quite a lot of people installing it, especially for old cars like mine (1996 1.6 satria)

But yesterday, one mechanic i met said it is not necessary :idea:

Need some advise. Is it really necessary actually?

My logic thinking is; it is just additional negative wire which helps to discharge better. It wont disturb the engine system, rather makes the electrical system better.

Need advise on this. Is it good to go (install since i already have it), or not?

And also do's and dont's during installation.

Thanks all

ZainJR

May 19, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Hi all sifus

I am going to DIY installing recently bought pivot 5 point grounding wire.

I bought it in the first place after google around where quite a lot of people installing it, especially for old cars like mine (1996 1.6 satria)

But yesterday, one mechanic i met said it is not necessary :idea:

Need some advise. Is it really necessary actually?

My logic thinking is; it is just additional negative wire which helps to discharge better. It wont disturb the engine system, rather makes the electrical system better.

Need advise on this. Is it good to go (install since i already have it), or not?

And also do's and dont's during installation.

Thanks all
used it b4 on 2004 waja (in 2010) and all i can say is so so only.. But notice the light a bit brighter be it head lights / meter panel. Add in with voltage stabilizer to monitor but since bought the HKS cap ayam end up no indicator appear.. :banghead:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
If your car is accident free and is in tip top condition metal and wire wise, then it's probably not absolutely necessary to have a grounding kit. But most old cars have a lot of wear and tear so the stock grounding usually is compromised or worn. So if you use this aftermarket grounding kit it'll help restore the ground and make everything work back to normal again (key word : Normal.. not better). Do you have dimming light issues? If yes then your stock grounding is likely worn out. Just use it la, just make sure ground to the right places and don't create a short circuit.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
My Saga BLM year 2010, at first I don't believe in making any difference but then after just installing one from battery negative terminal to the engine. The improvement is that it is not as lagging as before. Was better than not having it. After removing it since I'm selling the car, it is now back to square one. The difference can be felt for my BLM.

Anyway, like they said, for older cars it helps. For new cars, not necessary.

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
My Saga BLM year 2010, at first I don't believe in making any difference but then after just installing one from battery negative terminal to the engine. The improvement is that it is not as lagging as before. Was better than not having it. After removing it since I'm selling the car, it is now back to square one. The difference can be felt for my BLM.

Anyway, like they said, for older cars it helps. For new cars, not necessary.
Thanks to you and all

Will proceed to install on my 1996 satria which obviously very old now, the age coming to 2 decades now, and I am passionate to keep it in a good shape, and in its stock look. Thanks again! :burnout:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Thanks to you and all

Will proceed to install on my 1996 satria which obviously very old now, the age coming to 2 decades now, and I am passionate to keep it in a good shape, and in its stock look. Thanks again! :burnout:

Happy DIY-ing bro. Best to get some guide or tutorial to do so. If not end up frying your ecu :rolleyes:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
I had starting issues with my wife's atos, had to change battery & starter but problem still persists,
ended up bought the rm25 hks purple grounding cables then problem solved till today no issues.
so for me the grounding cable does works.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Grounding cables are good if car is old and wiring have build up resistance. Since DIY is cheap go ahead....

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
Yes, my car is considered old now. Plus, it also got starting issues (tik tik starter sound when turning the key, especially when the engine is hot. Maybe also the starter needs to be serviced/replaced already). Also, the alarm sometimes goes on suddenly without reason.

So I hope can see some improvement on these. No harm to give it a try since grounding cable not very expensive.

Supra_fanatics, what can cause short circuit when installing the grounding cable? touching the cable to positive terminal or what? I am not that expert in electrical, so hope to give some guides (especially dont's) when DIYing this.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
There are two ways to ground. Directly to the battery or to the car body. The way I did mine was to the negative terminal on the battery.

From there I pulled a wire to my alternator, from alternator pulled to aircon compressor, from there to firewall. Then the other side was distributor / ignition coil to the negative terminal too and one final one from to the firewall.

So it's just a loop from negative to negative. And you don't have to literally connect to the alternator or distributor, just the nut holding it in is enough.

Lots of youtube how-tos on grounding so check them out too

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Yes, my car is considered old now. Plus, it also got starting issues (tik tik starter sound when turning the key, especially when the engine is hot. Maybe also the starter needs to be serviced/replaced already). Also, the alarm sometimes goes on suddenly without reason.

So I hope can see some improvement on these. No harm to give it a try since grounding cable not very expensive.

Supra_fanatics, what can cause short circuit when installing the grounding cable? touching the cable to positive terminal or what? I am not that expert in electrical, so hope to give some guides (especially dont's) when DIYing this.
I'm not sure. My friend was about to connect one last cable and touch only, the ECU fried. Not sure why. But it was an Almera. Heard not to simply ground here and there, have to ground the right area. LOL!

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
which ever route for u'r grounding u choose, don't forget the first step to it, disconnect u'r car batt terminal & sifuses, which 1 is first, -ve first @ +ve first??

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
which ever route for u'r grounding u choose, don't forget the first step to it, disconnect u'r car batt terminal & sifuses, which 1 is first, -ve first @ +ve first??
+ve first I guess. Right?

Then, connect all the grounding wire as wished, and finally connect back the +ve. Thats my opinion

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I'm not sure. My friend was about to connect one last cable and touch only, the ECU fried. Not sure why. But it was an Almera. Heard not to simply ground here and there, have to ground the right area. LOL!
ECU should be well protected. He either touch direct to ECU or some fuses, but then fuses are also protected. So not sure what he did...:hmmmm:
As long as you do not touch anything live (positive terminal) you are okay

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

There are two ways to ground. Directly to the battery or to the car body. The way I did mine was to the negative terminal on the battery.

From there I pulled a wire to my alternator, from alternator pulled to aircon compressor, from there to firewall. Then the other side was distributor / ignition coil to the negative terminal too and one final one from to the firewall.

So it's just a loop from negative to negative. And you don't have to literally connect to the alternator or distributor, just the nut holding it in is enough.

Lots of youtube how-tos on grounding so check them out too
I did mine all direct from battery, means from battery to engine, to alternator, to firewall, to TB and to Distributor. 5 cables all leading away from battery negative terminal...:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

+ve first I guess. Right?

Then, connect all the grounding wire as wished, and finally connect back the +ve. Thats my opinion
I did mine without removing the +ve terminal. With key ignition off the only thing live is the positive terminal and it won't fry anything...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi sifus,
Totally a noob here so kindda need your advise here.
I have seen a package on the R3 site abt a performance upgrade for the satria neo cps.
PROTON Holdings Berhad - R3 Accessories
The package includes a "Performance cam shaft" and i was wondering if the cam shaft is switchable cuz if i understand the CPS function, there will be a pin that enables the high lift cams. but if i change the cam shaft to the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience