Engine oil and petrol brand (most controversial topic lol)

eques

Oct 14, 2017
petaling jaya
Hi guys, I feel like this forum isn't so active. So I've decided to discuss on the 2 of the most controversial topic that everyone can join. Unlike other topic everyone can give their 2 piece of advice / experience no matter what car you drive .i do understand there's a lot of discussion on this topic however most of them are old af therefore it may not be as precise anymore due to new addictive being used.

So let's share our thoughts on which engine oil brand you think serve you best. And where can we buy them to ensure their authenticity ( a lot of fake oil out there)

Second is which fuel brand gives best millage. As for me so far caltex and petron:driver:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
For me, I drive a turbo so not looking for mileage but what petrol runs best for my VR. So far only Petron and BHP for me. Shell always having problem....lol
For engine oil, I have been switching brands for years. Why? well, money for value. To me, changing oil on time is better than using expensive oil and prolong OCI. Currently running on Pennzoil HDEO 10w-40 in my turbo. Again Why HDEO? Well, initially suppose to use it to flush my engine, but my engine runs quieter on them so decided to use it. Another reason, they are so much cheaper I can do more frequent OCI.....lol
More over, you can buy Pennzoil direct from UMW counter. Opens every Tuesday and Thursday. Buying from them you get authentic original oil, since you are afraid of fake stuffs from outside supplier....

eques

Oct 14, 2017
petaling jaya
Oh first time heard someone praising Pennzoil haha usually I heard people say it uses bad base oil. Anyway what's your interval change, because I don't drive far and my interval change is 1 year once lol

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
my car also like VR..turbo-ed car..

previously using shell..does not perform well on boost..change to petron most of the time, unless fuel almost deplete at my workplace, had to use shell.

as for engine oil, using LM 10w60, tried various EO brand at 10w40, most of the time EO getting less after hard drive. Using 10w60, fix the issue. 7k/3month OCI.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Oh first time heard someone praising Pennzoil haha usually I heard people say it uses bad base oil. Anyway what's your interval change, because I don't drive far and my interval change is 1 year once lol
1 year ? wow...for mine 3 months or 5k maybe 6k top. Spent rm120-150 ++ is better than repair the engine.
Petrol, i fill up just any brand i pass by.

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I'm using Bardahl 5W-40 fully synthetic engine oil for my 4G15 engine. Serves my engine well but some said my engine is a bit noisy.

s.marz

Known Member
Aug 10, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
Engine oil - I uses the Petronas Syntium 3000 for the current car, haven't tried anything else yet since previous owner been using this.
Petrol station? Well anything that comes to sight.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
For engine oil - it's subjective unless you do an UOA - used oil analysis test. Otherwise it's just butt feel vs butt feel and everyones butt feel is different. But personally I've used and like Penrite as best value for money oil. 5L bottles and good base oil and additive package.

Petrol is subjective too. Different stations may have different quality of petrol due to tank age, perhaps contaminants, etc. But generally speaking most of us agree Shell is not good for our cars. But having said that my stock 11 year old Myvi and 5 year old Innova use any petrol and I get the same mileage and performance.

so yeah.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
For engine oil - it's subjective unless you do an UOA - used oil analysis test. Otherwise it's just butt feel vs butt feel and everyones butt feel is different. But personally I've used and like Penrite as best value for money oil. 5L bottles and good base oil and additive package.

Petrol is subjective too. Different stations may have different quality of petrol due to tank age, perhaps contaminants, etc. But generally speaking most of us agree Shell is not good for our cars. But having said that my stock 11 year old Myvi and 5 year old Innova use any petrol and I get the same mileage and performance.

so yeah.
Mobil 1 has been consistent throughout UOAs posted by individuals on the net. Even after their reformulation 7 or 8 years ago its still consistent. So if you use Mobil 1 it may not be the best EO, but its a good EO.

My sampan actually likes the Blitz S2 5w40 Fully Synthetic more than the Mobil 1 0w40. It's quieter, but from the sound of the engine, the Blitz starts off great, but sounds rough around the 7000km mark. Mobil 1 sounds the same from fresh to about 15000km.

eques

Oct 14, 2017
petaling jaya
my car also like VR..turbo-ed car..

previously using shell..does not perform well on boost..change to petron most of the time, unless fuel almost deplete at my workplace, had to use shell.

as for engine oil, using LM 10w60, tried various EO brand at 10w40, most of the time EO getting less after hard drive. Using 10w60, fix the issue. 7k/3month OCI.

Wow what car you drive? Using 60.. I used 40 I already feel very heavy haha.

BTW 4g15.. Missed that engine rip evo line. I feel very bad for people who bought lancer 10 in Malaysia. Everyone will just assume it's a inspira

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Engine oil depends on budget, how much are you willing to spend? If want to spend over rm200/4ltr then maybe can use Amsoil. If below rm200 then need to find which good ones on promotion, either Mobil 1, Total, Elf, Eneos. I personally like those 4 brands. Maybe Petronas also good but I never tried before. I don't really prefer Shell or Castrol though, unless they're really cheap, coz tests results I've seen on the web don't look as good and they don't publish their oil specs like Viscosity index, TBN, etc2 (or maybe I just missed them). Currently I even use oil cheaper than rm100! :biggrin: But anyway as long as you use suitable viscosity with proper ratings and change oil regularly as recommended then should be fine, just a matter of how much you're willing to spend.

As for fuel, I cannot feel any difference, maybe coz my car is just a normal car, not high performance one hence not sensitive to fuel brands differences. I just fill up Petron coz got rm45 free fuel after 3000 points. :biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
For the next few years, it's highly probable I will be using Mobil 1 :listen:
I'd imagine so too considering you just bought a carton worth. :biggrin:

Engine oil depends on budget, how much are you willing to spend? If want to spend over rm200/4ltr then maybe can use Amsoil. If below rm200 then need to find which good ones on promotion, either Mobil 1, Total, Elf, Eneos. I personally like those 4 brands. Maybe Petronas also good but I never tried before. I don't really prefer Shell or Castrol though, unless they're really cheap, coz tests results I've seen on the web don't look as good and they don't publish their oil specs like Viscosity index, TBN, etc2 (or maybe I just missed them). Currently I even use oil cheaper than rm100! :biggrin: But anyway as long as you use suitable viscosity with proper ratings and change oil regularly as recommended then should be fine, just a matter of how much you're willing to spend.

As for fuel, I cannot feel any difference, maybe coz my car is just a normal car, not high performance one hence not sensitive to fuel brands differences. I just fill up Petron coz got rm45 free fuel after 3000 points. :biggrin:
Yeah, I agree man. Budget is everything. Forcing someone to buy an oil they can't afford is pointless.

Out of curiosity - say I use mineral oils and OCI every 2k-3k KM, would that be the same as me using fully synthetic OCI 10k KM? I mean detergents, lubrication and wear and tear only. Heat exchange would be significantly different I'd expect.

VR2Turbo : Do HDEO have the right additives to be used on high heat type engines?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I'd imagine so too considering you just bought a carton worth. :biggrin:

Yeah, I agree man. Budget is everything. Forcing someone to buy an oil they can't afford is pointless.

Out of curiosity - say I use mineral oils and OCI every 2k-3k KM, would that be the same as me using fully synthetic OCI 10k KM? I mean detergents, lubrication and wear and tear only. Heat exchange would be significantly different I'd expect.

VR2Turbo : Do HDEO have the right additives to be used on high heat type engines?
Mineral engine oil will cook in the turbo even if you change every 2000km.

eques

Oct 14, 2017
petaling jaya
Just go buy cheap synthetic better, if want cheap and use for proton car I usually buy from this facebook page " v fier oil" just google. They are based on Batu caves and if not mistaken I bought semi for about rm120 including oil filter.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Continued

Ok so now you've installed your air filter, changed your exhaust and still have bucket loads of cash to spend, what's next?

Personally I would recommend something that requires very little maintenance and doesn't take much time to install, so I'd suggest to work on the chassis or...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience