[DIY] Flush ATF and change filter

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
To do this you'll need the following :

1. Manufacturers spec ATF x 4L (minimally. May need up to 6L)
2. ATF filter, gasket (optional)
3. Gasket removal tool and hammer
4. Automotive hose (about 2m)
5. Something to catch the oil with, in this case I used Tesco's RM14.80 plastic box (medium sized)
6. Rachet and size 10 T-Wrench (optional but damn useful)
7. A funnel to pour oil into the ATF dipstick.

Firstly, drain as much oil as you can. Even after you drain, there'll still be a lot lying in the pan so really let it drain as much as possible otherwise it'll get messy later. Replace the drain bolt once done.

Remove all the size 10 (usually) bolts holding the pan up. In my case there are 11 bolts and clean them as much as possible to remove the old gasket remenants.

Using the gasket removal tool and a hammer, slice into the old gasket and carefully remove the pan. Get ready to catch the pan once you've hammered enough of the gasket away.

Clean the pan of the old gasket and oil.

Here is the old filter. Clean up whatever oil you can and remove the old gasket as well. Don't scrape too hard in case you scratch the surface. Then remove the filter itself. In the case of my Myvi, it's held up by 3 clips. You can access 2 and pry them out then gently rock the 3rd hidden clip out and it's out. Careful because there's oil here too so catch all the oil in the collector (Tesco box) otherwise it'll be really messy. And smelly. And Oily. Etc.

Old filter vs new filter. Look at the filter element itself, very big difference! This is why you should change your ATF filter regularly.

Using gasket sealant, lay it on the clean pan (thick), then put the gasket on top and lay on another thick layer of sealant.

Place the pan back and screw all the bolts back. Gently at first - do not tighten until you have all the bolts in place. Since these are small and thin size 10 bolts, do not overtighten. Remember the strength you needed to remove them? Use the same to tighten it back. It might squeeze out some of the sealant - that's perfectly normal. You can scrape it off later when it cures.

Identify the two outlets coming from your gearbox. One of these is an inlet and the other is an outlet. In the case of my Myvi, the outlet is the one on the right. Attach the 2m hose to the outlet hose and direct the hose into the catching container (Tesco box).

Fill your gearbox with approximately 2L of oil (different cars may vary).

Start your car and you'll start to see oil flowing out from the hose into your container. Keep topping up the oil through the dipstick area (using your funnel) and monitor the oil flowing out. Once it's clear and clean, shut off your engine.

Replace the original hose (or in my case the ATF cooler hose), check your oil level again and you're done.

Difficulty level : I'd say 5/10
Time taken : 3 hours (I really took my time cuz I had to take pictures and all)
Pissing off your neighbor because of the flowery smell ATF emits..... Priceless!

:biggrin:

Attachments

Last edited:

ACQ2305

500 RPM
May 25, 2007
HeadHunters
Oh,did not know that it has a filter inside...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
good write up Izso.....cant wait for more of your DIY stuffs......
Unfortunately due to my schedule, I'm going to busy for a while to come. Perhaps at the end of the month I'll do a DIY on how to install ICE. A 4-part DIY or something. :biggrin:

Glad you enjoy my nonsense!

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
Oh,did not know that it has a filter inside...
got bro, all autobox do have ATF filters inside.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

Unfortunately due to my schedule, I'm going to busy for a while to come. Perhaps at the end of the month I'll do a DIY on how to install ICE. A 4-part DIY or something. :biggrin:

Glad you enjoy my nonsense!
your next topic, on how to flush your radiator :)

skazareth

Known Member
Feb 8, 2007
finish that sudoku bro....... then teach us engine-swap.....

BE5RSK

Known Member
Dec 31, 2009
Besaout
Hahaha, ok bro.. in that case, maybe we should try something more difficult.
Errr...I would say, "How to rebuild/overhaul your engine" :listen:

Guarantee after that, all workshop gulung tikar... No more scam/con by the workshop, and drop of sales for new car (since semua kereta in tip-top condition)...

Just kidding la berrooo... By the way. Nice write-up. :cheers:

Last edited:

V-8

500 RPM
Dec 22, 2007
Very informative write up mr iszo!Well appreciated.

Wouldnt mind a DIY on radiator flushing bro.Pretty easy but jus wanna be completely sure b4 trying it and covering all bases!Would u mind?

Cheers bro,keep 'em comin!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
finish that sudoku bro....... then teach us engine-swap.....
LOL! Your replies never fail to be amusing. Incidentally I have done a engine complete removal, rebuild and reinstall. Just that it was done with a friends cherry picker, I don't have one at home. A bit hard to DIY without it.

Hahaha, ok bro.. in that case, maybe we should try something more difficult.
Errr...I would say, "How to rebuild/overhaul your engine" :listen:

Guarantee after that, all workshop gulung tikar... No more scam/con by the workshop, and drop of sales for new car (since semua kereta in tip-top condition)...

Just kidding la berrooo... By the way. Nice write-up. :cheers:
Hmm... I probably could do a top overhaul DIY but it would be very car specific. Would that be useful at all? I'm just showing stuff that's as generic as possible so it can apply to many different car makes. Speaking of which my own car might be in need of a top overhaul anyway. Too many leaks.

Very informative write up mr iszo!Well appreciated.

Wouldnt mind a DIY on radiator flushing bro.Pretty easy but jus wanna be completely sure b4 trying it and covering all bases!Would u mind?

Cheers bro,keep 'em comin!
Ok ok.. my coolant isn't due for change yet but I'll get something done up all the same. Glad you appreciate my articles.

skazareth

Known Member
Feb 8, 2007
LOL! Your replies never fail to be amusing. Incidentally I have done a engine complete removal, rebuild and reinstall. Just that it was done with a friends cherry picker, I don't have one at home. A bit hard to DIY without it.
yea bcs the 1st sudoku u done brilliantly (yes, i checked, all correct...).

regarding engine swap, actually i have a story lah.. that's why it popped in my head to ask u that... Please let me share this story here, can i?

it was 20 yrs ago..my dad was a head foreman for police force, able to fix all those patrol cars, KEMBALIK, Unimogs, HINO trucks, white horses, etc2.. We (4 of us, all boys) know he was tried to teach us his skills..but we were so small.

That time, 1991, he bought 2nd hand 87' CBU Prelude 1.8XX Dual Carb. I remember he bragged about the car and its CBU condition compare to CKD... i was not interested...i was 11. All my friends were lastik burung and played hide-and-seek on daily basis.

One day, its gearbox buat pasal...its radiator buat pasal... overheated and so on. He was so pissed. Then he bought new engine that I cant remember either from Integra or Accord but it was same 1.8, still carburetor and DOHC. He installed himself with the help from us - The 4 Kids Buruh Paksa. My little bro didn't even know what rachet was. He got scold because he gave dad a hammer instead of rachet. He was 8.

Dad taught us how to port n polish, set the clearance for rocker using that clearance gauge, bleeding brake fluid, changing brake discs, oil, filters, set the engine timing using that timing-light, all those simple2 thing including flushing radiator coolant (hehe) -bear in mind i was 11. He tried to teach us as much as he can but he understand we wont be able to digest.

Now, i feel so bad bcs i missed the best opportunity to learn this priceless from the old guy... I barely remember those skill now. I took mechanical eng during uni-days but still i could not do same as him. Whenever I looked at my 11 year old nephews nowadays with iPad and Playstation on their hands, and have no idea what screwdriver is, makes me want to tell this story to them.

So...back to the topic... u have to teach us engine swap, bro...take K20A swap as ur project would be best (haha!)...

cheers.

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
If I had a honda to molest, I'd definitely give it a shot right after I get a cherry picker. K20A can't fit in a EG right? Saw this EG for sale for bout 20k, bone stock standard. Wifey wouldn't let me get it... LOL

Eh, your dad is bound to be damn knowledgeable man. Anyway - for you, best way to learn is to get your hands dirty. I'm sure you know more than you're telling me. Most of the stuff I do is normal stuff. Jom la, we use your car as demo car and plonk in k20A. Hehe..

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
i'd rather gib 50 buck to a bawah pokok fler to spend da 3 hours, i dont have 3 hours to spare LOL

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
i'd rather gib 50 buck to a bawah pokok fler to spend da 3 hours, i dont have 3 hours to spare LOL
Unker - don't play people la. I can do it much faster except I took a lot of time taking pics la and this and that lor.

V-8

500 RPM
Dec 22, 2007
any guide on replacing brake pads?Would like to try that on my own.

Any chance i can convince u mr iszo 2 do 1 with the radiator flush?hehe

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i hav bought my car for bout 4 years....
i noticed that my headlamp is getting faded n not shining like new headlamps....
it is a bit blur.....

wat should i do 2 overcome this prob?

if buy a new pair will cost about 300......

i saw in the market, they offer sum kind of headlamp polisher,does that works?
if yes,wat brand of the polisher that really works....

suggestion pls....

thanks a lot>......:shades_smile:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience