Discussion On Your Daily Ride

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Hmm no, highway driving still more efficient coz even though 4000rpm but it's cruising, not accelerating as often like town drive. I can see that on the econometer.

It came with the first version of Dunlop Sportmaxx which is a pretty good UHP tire also, I'm testing it now and still works fine despite the age already >10yrs old! I also saw on some other car that came with Goodyear F1A2 which is even better.
If that is the case, I guess it isn't a real problem cruising at that rpm other than the higher volume of noise that the engine is making.

Wait? The tyre model's age is over 10 years old or the set of tyres itself is already more than 10? If it is the tyres itself, wouldn't it be better if you replace it due to age?

A question of curiosity, have you tested a normal Swift before? The same generation as your ZC31S. If you have, I wonder about the difference in handling?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
If that is the case, I guess it isn't a real problem cruising at that rpm other than the higher volume of noise that the engine is making.

Wait? The tyre model's age is over 10 years old or the set of tyres itself is already more than 10? If it is the tyres itself, wouldn't it be better if you replace it due to age?

A question of curiosity, have you tested a normal Swift before? The same generation as your ZC31S. If you have, I wonder about the difference in handling?
Hahaha yeah, the set of tires already that old too! But when I got them I saw the rubber still soft and no cracks so I put them on to test. However now that I have pushed them for about a month already, I can see there's some very small hairline cracks in between the treads starting to appear but not much. We'll see how it goes, I'm keeping a close eye on them and checking them every week. Anyway I already got the 15' rims & tires ready, just need to put them back on later but in the mean time since my son still practicing with it, I will use that old tires first so if he whacks more potholes and stones and damage the tires, my heart won't feel pain. :biggrin: Probably I should not drive it too fast anymore too while using this old tires.

No, never driven the normal 1.5ltr version. They're mostly all 4 speed AT too, so not really interested to try. It should be softer coz the absorbers are different than the Sport one.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Hahaha yeah, the set of tires already that old too! But when I got them I saw the rubber still soft and no cracks so I put them on to test. However now that I have pushed them for about a month already, I can see there's some very small hairline cracks in between the treads starting to appear but not much. We'll see how it goes, I'm keeping a close eye on them and checking them every week. Anyway I already got the 15' rims & tires ready, just need to put them back on later but in the mean time since my son still practicing with it, I will use that old tires first so if he whacks more potholes and stones and damage the tires, my heart won't feel pain. :biggrin: Probably I should not drive it too fast anymore too while using this old tires.

No, never driven the normal 1.5ltr version. They're mostly all 4 speed AT too, so not really interested to try. It should be softer coz the absorbers are different than the Sport one.
If you're aware and monitoring the tyres, then it should be safe. Coming from a guy with a lot of tyre knowledge like you, I believe you are more than capable of taking care of these tyres, hahaha. Hitting potholes and damaging the tyres is not so bad but what I'm worried is that it might damage the wheels if the impact is hard plus the low profile 50 series sidewall.

Hmm, I wonder if one swaps the suspension components from a Swift Sport to a normal Swift, will it replicate the handling characteristics of a Swift Sport. When you said mostly all 4 speed AT, does that mean that 5 MT is also offered here for the normal Swift 1.5? I never came across any manual units.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
If you're aware and monitoring the tyres, then it should be safe. Coming from a guy with a lot of tyre knowledge like you, I believe you are more than capable of taking care of these tyres, hahaha. Hitting potholes and damaging the tyres is not so bad but what I'm worried is that it might damage the wheels if the impact is hard plus the low profile 50 series sidewall.

Hmm, I wonder if one swaps the suspension components from a Swift Sport to a normal Swift, will it replicate the handling characteristics of a Swift Sport. When you said mostly all 4 speed AT, does that mean that 5 MT is also offered here for the normal Swift 1.5? I never came across any manual units.
Rims I'm not too worried about because original stock rims are normally very strong and this is still made in Japan too so no doubt on its durability. Anyway even if they got bent, I already got the 5Zigen 15' so no bother. This original rims also can easily find on sale in the Swift club, and they're selling them cheap.

Maybe can. Yeah I also never seen a 1.5MT version to be honest!

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Rims I'm not too worried about because original stock rims are normally very strong and this is still made in Japan too so no doubt on its durability. Anyway even if they got bent, I already got the 5Zigen 15' so no bother. This original rims also can easily find on sale in the Swift club, and they're selling them cheap.

Maybe can. Yeah I also never seen a 1.5MT version to be honest!
Is like the usual saying where people tend to say no aftermarket wheel is stronger than those stock wheels that came with the car. :biggrin:
Your set of 5Zigen is also an original set from Japan?

If only there are normal Swift 1.5 manual being sold here, it would be quite a bargain for a car at that kind of price. Imagine, for half the price of a ZC31S, it can handle well with some suspension upgrade and still comes with a manual gearbox that is no slouch compared to the 4AT variants.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
195/50/16 is a weird size. Don't really see a lot of cars with such tyre size. Do you have any idea what tyres this car originally came with right out of factory? Normal tyres or UHP?
Ths size tyres came with the Fiesta also. At one time difficult to find this size when ex colleague called to help find. Conti Premium Contact 2 have, later if not mistaken was Falken, but recently seems a few brand now have....

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Ths size tyres came with the Fiesta also. At one time difficult to find this size when ex colleague called to help find. Conti Premium Contact 2 have, later if not mistaken was Falken, but recently seems a few brand now have....
Maybe now more cars are moving on to 16' as their stock wheels, hence more brands are offering it?

Have been asking around for your tyre size also. Yours even harder to find......lol
In his case, the tyre size had become unpopular in today's industry.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Maybe now more cars are moving on to 16' as their stock wheels, hence more brands are offering it?

In his case, the tyre size had become unpopular in today's industry.
Yup, they want bigger rims but car is small so narrower tyres.....lol

Those days Myvi tyres 175/65R14, now City I think 175/65R15, higher specs 185/55R16.....lol

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Is like the usual saying where people tend to say no aftermarket wheel is stronger than those stock wheels that came with the car. :biggrin:
Your set of 5Zigen is also an original set from Japan?

If only there are normal Swift 1.5 manual being sold here, it would be quite a bargain for a car at that kind of price. Imagine, for half the price of a ZC31S, it can handle well with some suspension upgrade and still comes with a manual gearbox that is no slouch compared to the 4AT variants.
Yes original Japan 5Zigen, not the Taiwan one.
Yeah, if it's available I might have bought that instead so not too fast for beginners. Now I worry this ZC31S seems a bit too fast & furious now for my son.

Still not many UHP available here, just the old Toyo T1R even though the car came from Japan with Sportmaxx and F1A2.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yup, they want bigger rims but car is small so narrower tyres.....lol

Those days Myvi tyres 175/65R14, now City I think 175/65R15, higher specs 185/55R16.....lol
To me, I really can't get what is the point of that City 16 inch tyre size since the previous gen. Same goes for Jazz tyres as well. 16 inch but 185mm wide. So the wheels are really just for show. Sure, having a wider wheels and tyres will make the car a bit sluggish but I think that will also help a lot more in stability.

Yes original Japan 5Zigen, not the Taiwan one.
Yeah, if it's available I might have bought that instead so not too fast for beginners. Now I worry this ZC31S seems a bit too fast & furious now for my son.

Still not many UHP available here, just the old Toyo T1R even though the car came from Japan with Sportmaxx and F1A2.
"Not too fast" is still fast considering its weight and a 1.5 litre manual engine. :biggrin: My own Wira 1.5 is using an old engine but when pushed it, all those who tested my car before said it gets kinda fast in accelerating at 1st and 2nd gear. The Swift 1.5 manual would be quicker. As for your 1.6, I think it will rival the speed of a Satria GTi just like your old Lancer GTi.

It is a pity that Suzuki Malaysia pulled back from the automotive market. Otherwise, we would have seen the latest generation Swift on sale by now.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
To me, I really can't get what is the point of that City 16 inch tyre size since the previous gen. Same goes for Jazz tyres as well. 16 inch but 185mm wide. So the wheels are really just for show. Sure, having a wider wheels and tyres will make the car a bit sluggish but I think that will also help a lot more in stability.

"Not too fast" is still fast considering its weight and a 1.5 litre manual engine. :biggrin: My own Wira 1.5 is using an old engine but when pushed it, all those who tested my car before said it gets kinda fast in accelerating at 1st and 2nd gear. The Swift 1.5 manual would be quicker. As for your 1.6, I think it will rival the speed of a Satria GTi just like your old Lancer GTi.

It is a pity that Suzuki Malaysia pulled back from the automotive market. Otherwise, we would have seen the latest generation Swift on sale by now.
Nowadays many cars are like that, use big diameter rims but narrow because follow fashion trend because people are too fixated on big diameter rims! Just look at the Mazda 6 2.5 with that huge 19' but only what, 7 or 7.5j width!?? See from the side, such huge rims but when see from behind, so skinny legs which are so much inside the fender, just ridiculous!

Yes about similar speed to my old CB5 or even quicker, around 8+secs 0-100 acceleration but will loose out on top speed due to shorter gearing. I think this car has surprised quite a few bigger cars on the road so far.

Yeah pity that Suzuki pulled out, and quite surprising if you see there are so many Swifts on the road actually. The new ZC33S is a giant killer with 140HP and 230NM from about the same 1 ton weight! Since it's turbocharged, so much easier also to extract more power from it. A Suzuki tuner in UK already tuned his ZC33S to almost 180hp/290NM with still more parts upgrade to come because that is still in progress! Oh btw speaking about turbo Swifts, in Jakarta there's a 400HP turbo ZC31S! Madness!

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Ah! stability is more for the racer type, car modders etc., but for many layman tyres are tyres. Car manufacturers first thing lower cost, car better FC, comfort, so they fit what is necessary to achieve this goal......lol

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
- I know about that method. No, it just doesn't have that function. Coz for autodown/up, there'll always be an extra click when you press/pull on the button to engage the auto function. So in this case the extra click is only for downward press while the pull has no click.

- I just bang or press lightly the button panel then the sound goes away. :biggrin: I'll just leave it coz not so annoying for me.

Actually - the click doesn't always apply. Nissans have no click and just winds up. Anyway that's irrelevant. I need to test out my in-laws car to compare.

Come la.. we DIY remove that annoying rattle. The door panel removal process is easy and there's nothing a cable tie cannot silence.

Lastly the non-sport model Swifts are dull and long gear ratio-ed. Since only the auto is available the car feels very boxy and the short wheel base doesn't help the handling feel. Feels very Myvi-ish (1st/2nd gen). Don't like it. But as a point A to B car it's better than a Myvi 1st/2nd gen.

I doubt it'll be anywhere as good as you think it'll be. The non-sport version (I don't know how many CC is the earlier gen Swift) is so gut-less.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I'm currently driving an old Honda from the 90's. In 5-6 years time, it will be about 20 years old. Young for a human but very old for a car. I guess in if we calculate it in human age it will be about 85-90 years old already.. :biggrin:. The reason I'm still using it at the moment is:

1. Money no enough...:embarassed:
2. I love it, seldom give me problem, fun to drive, good throttle response and it's a manual.
3. There's no new car on the market (within my budget) at the moment that I...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience