Discussion On Your Daily Ride

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
If lets say lower end model from different brands are being compared together, wouldn't those from more reputable brands fared better like maybe for example, Viking CT5 VS Michelin XM2?
Lower brand higher performance, versus branded lower performance. I choose the lower brand high performance.

Example.. Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 versus Pilot Primacy 3..i take the hankook. price wise, the hankook would be same or cheaper.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Lower brand higher performance, versus branded lower performance. I choose the lower brand high performance.

Example.. Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 versus Pilot Primacy 3..i take the hankook. price wise, the hankook would be same or cheaper.
Perhaps in outright grip and performance, the lower brand high performance will perform better. But then, how about rubber quality and durability? Will the lower brand have a shorter tyre lifespan and higher wear?

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Perhaps in outright grip and performance, the lower brand high performance will perform better. But then, how about rubber quality and durability? Will the lower brand have a shorter tyre lifespan and higher wear?
thats your answer. lower brand high performance may have better rubber quality and durability to claim it in UHP category compare to branded low tier tyre.

lifespan and wear, cant expect much if you're using UHP category :driver:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Tyre lifespan depends on the tread wear of the tyre, BUT it CANNOT be compared across different manufacturers

When Hankook says tyre A is 300 tread wear and tyre B is 180 tread wear, it just means tyre A has longer lifespan, but tread wear ratings between different manufacturers cannot be compared cause they measure it differently.

Only way to gauge is to see real world feedback from owners when comparing.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Bro, sweelt will bo 17" loh.....hhahhahah

That is why need just to shift 1" up to 15".....:driver:

Is not about the brand, but the tyre model. BFG was selling the G-Force Comp T/A, that was performance range but now they bring in Advantage T/A only which is lower end. If you can get G Force Comp T/A by all means use, this one good feedback.:biggrin:
wahh my wira on 17 inch....can feel softest cacing. hahahaha:smokin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
thats your answer. lower brand high performance may have better rubber quality and durability to claim it in UHP category compare to branded low tier tyre.

Tyre lifespan depends on the tread wear of the tyre, BUT it CANNOT be compared across different manufacturers

When Hankook says tyre A is 300 tread wear and tyre B is 180 tread wear, it just means tyre A has longer lifespan, but tread wear ratings between different manufacturers cannot be compared cause they measure it differently.

So, the verdict is, one can only really compare after they have used and tried the tyres when it comes to lifespan.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

It may not be 100% comparable across different manufacturers BUT it may still give some indication/tendencies. If the difference between TW ratings are not so much, say maybe 20-40 (for example between PS3 at 320 TW vs F1 at 300 TW), then maybe the tires in general might wear out similarly. However if the difference is larger, say 80-100, then more likely the lower TW tire will finish notably faster too (for example between say PS3 with 320 TW vs RE003 with 220 TW). So yes, TW rating might not be 100% comparable between brands but they might still give some useful indicative comparison.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If lets say lower end model from different brands are being compared together, wouldn't those from more reputable brands fared better like maybe for example, Viking CT5 VS Michelin XM2?
This one no comparison since one cheaper, one more expensive but same category....:driver:

Bro. Renesis, This is the correct comparison like what bro. suprafanatic mentioned, paying less for performance tyres of cheaper brand compared to lower end branded....:driver:

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Probably that is why bro. Renesis wants to keep to 14" does not want outright grip and performance......lol:smokin::driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
This one no comparison since one cheaper, one more expensive but same category....:driver:
So, perhaps in the same category, the expensive one might fare better?

Probably that is why bro. Renesis wants to keep to 14" does not want outright grip and performance......lol:smokin::driver:
My Wira at the end is still a car that I drive around city for short distances. Outright grip and performance tyres for my next car maybe? :biggrin:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
So, perhaps in the same category, the expensive one might fare better?

My Wira at the end is still a car that I drive around city for short distances. Outright grip and performance tyres for my next car maybe? :biggrin:
Yup, probably slightly better.

In that case, no need ask us what tyres to use, Just get any entry level tyres that fits your budget......lol:biggrin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
It has been 10 months since I started this thread last year. Just want to give an update on the final decision that I took regarding my earlier questions in this thread.

I decided to take the unused Saga at home and use it as a daily car starting from this year. 10 months had passed since I started using the Saga. A lot of effort and money has been put into this Saga to restore it nicely. I discovered a lot of problems while using this car as daily but thankfully, nothing bad happened to me like having the car died in the middle of the road. Solved all the issues and I can say that the car is now well reliable as a daily car. Though some may argue that it isn't worth the trouble, I'm happy with the outcome of my decision.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
It has been 10 months since I started this thread last year. Just want to give an update on the final decision that I took regarding my earlier questions in this thread.

I decided to take the unused Saga at home and use it as a daily car starting from this year. 10 months had passed since I started using the Saga. A lot of effort and money has been put into this Saga to restore it nicely. I discovered a lot of problems while using this car as daily but thankfully, nothing bad happened to me like having the car died in the middle of the road. Solved all the issues and I can say that the car is now well reliable as a daily car. Though some may argue that it isn't worth the trouble, I'm happy with the outcome of my decision.
It’s worth the trouble cause it’s cheaper than a new car.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Was it cheaper to do up the saga against the Wira?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
It’s worth the trouble cause it’s cheaper than a new car.
It is. Wasn't liking the idea of being tied down by a bank loan for a new car at such a young age where I just started working.

Was it cheaper to do up the saga against the Wira?
Since I plan to put better quality stuff for the Wira, the costs won't be exactly low to do up the Wira. But the main issue of Wira now is bodywork exterior problem which definitely needed painting as the final step after solving the body issues. I want to get a good paint job for it.

Most importantly, I think the best thing about doing up the Saga is that I can have a backup car that is usable without worry. If lets say I need to leave my Wira for a major repair work for few days at workshop, at least there is still the Saga to cover me and vice versa. Can't deny that having an extra car at home is a good thing during unexpected times. :biggrin: Roadtax + insurance per year is not more than RM400 which I think is not that bad.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

please help me in making this important decision? i`m planning of making an engine swap. my car is 2004 proton satria se with 4g15 using siemens vdo. i`m planning of using a potent mitsu n.a eng. which one is more reliable and cost effective? 4g91 = 120 hp
4g93= 140 hp
is it true? the difference is only 20 hp.....if im using 4g91 for sure i can speed alongside stock 4g93 with slight mod on my 4g91. also i will enjoy low fuel consumption and lower road tax. anybody with good advice pls help...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience