4g93 Mivec Turbo Waja project(Many pictures be warned)

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
Well, the crack actually has quite a measurable gap, my theory is that it warped somehow and the forces caused it to fail at the weakest point(welds). Have to remove it and get it welded back :bawling:

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
sorry to hear that...luckily i listen to my mechanic..last time die die wanna buy banana...

now cast iron only..cast iron FTW

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
sorry to hear that...luckily i listen to my mechanic..last time die die wanna buy banana...

now cast iron only..cast iron FTW
Well, if it's well made then a banana might improve performance, but yeah daily driven just stick with good old reliable cast iron manifold :laugh:

Could be the vibration and the weakest point cracked.....:banghead:
Yes vibration could be a factor that increases the fatigue, I have one of the bolts off the turbo heat shield fell off after some boosting sessions after I tightened it down myself... :banghead:

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
Anyway, some minor update.

Last CNY I experienced aircond feeling warm and the water temp increased slightly on my gauge, when sitting in a standstill traffic jam entering a parking lot for 15 minutes under the 1pm super hot sun, the temps fell immediately after I turned off the ac and then the traffic started moving and my aircond temperature started to improve, so from there I suspected I have an issue with my cooling fans. Went to install tints on my front windshield as I torn that out when I went to Puspakom, and still my aircond felt like it wasn't as cool as before.

After some looking around, this seems to be one of the possibilities, there is a large gap between the radiator and the body, where on the original radiator the gap is much smaller, I suspect the air might be recirculating, meaning instead of sucking in fresh cool air from outside, the radiator fan was pulling in hot air from the engine bay instead.

Did a quick mcgyver solution to fix that

And driving around these few days, my aircond seems to be cooler now when driving after parked under the hot sun and when in standstill traffic under the hot sun. Next step would be to replace my AVS pusher fan on the driver side to a SPAL fan and hope it solves my issue. Will also apply some foam surround between the radiator and condenser to make sure more air actually flows between the condenser/radiator instead of bypassing it through the sides. Will update again when i find the time to do those....

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
It's aviation High-Speed aluminium tape, costs more than rm100 per roll bruh, no issues surviving 90 odd celsius :laugh:

what? Now that's something I never heard before actually...
Oooh! aviation tape......:driver:

Yup, when my old turbo leak oil from the shaft, send in for repair they found the header cracked also, so I opt to replace with chop shop whole unit. Heard from some is common problem.....:banghead:

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
Oooh! aviation tape......:driver:

Yup, when my old turbo leak oil from the shaft, send in for repair they found the header cracked also, so I opt to replace with chop shop whole unit. Heard from some is common problem.....:banghead:
Yeah, that tape is designed to survive being applied on the outside of an airline aircraft and survive, which is why they call it speed tape. 3M punya :biggrin:

Well standard cast manifold should be quite cheap and easy to find seeing how most people just chuck it away after swapping to pisang :laugh:

Hopefully can collect my SPAL fan later today, and stick on some proper sponges to prevent air leakage and make sure all the air actually passes through the condenser and radiator. Also time for my car to service and change the oil pump which I already standby, and fix that cracked manifold, and possibly change the turbo actuator spring to something stronger :emoji_muscle:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My radiator fan plastic cover/housing have become brittle and a piece have chipped off. Wonder if the tape can help?....hmmmm

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Engine died many times, uncountable times precisely. Must be the fuckerama idling problem, need to tune.

Another question is, i'm using K&N filter for 1.6/1.8 (but mine is 1.3), will there be any problem? Right after I fix this Air filter, the problem occur.

Before this, my idling isn't that bad, but still fugged up I know. I couldn't start the car easily, have to step on the oil pedal when I turn on the ignition.

Any good workshop to do tuning?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience