Auto EventsNewsSubaru

1,300 Subaru’s To Convoy To Celebrate Life Of Colin McRae

colin-parade-300The picture you see here was taken a day after rally legend Colin McRae and his son were tragically killed in a helicopter crash near their home in Lanarkshire, Scotland. Without prompting, rally fans from across the UK drove to Scotland to hold a memorial in the McRaes’ hometown, which quickly filled up with Subarus, most of them WRC blue.

One year on, the Suby’s are about to meet again, this time to celebrate the life of Colin McRae. This coming Saturday (August 31st) Colin’s dad, Jimmy, will drive his son’s famous 555 Impreza out of Lanark and head for Prodrive’s factory in Banbury, southern England. By the time he reaches Birmingham he will have 700 Subarus in his mirrors forming an all-wheel-drive parade that’s expected to stretch over 10 miles. Then, on Sunday the 31st, another 600 scoobies are set to join the tailback as it heads to Prodrive’s test track in Warwickshire. Yep, that’s 1,300 cars in a 20 -plus-mile snake, powered by 5,200 horizontally opposed cylinders.

Although official entry to the event is now closed, organizers expect even more Subarus to show up on the day. Details of the route can be found at http://www.mcrae-gathering.co.uk/

Source: AutoBlog

S
  • S
    skazareth
  • Aug 27, 2008
RIP..
D
  • D
    dohcmivec
  • Aug 27, 2008
wat a legend....
J
  • J
    jiusan
  • Aug 27, 2008
the one's that crashed includes a friend of his son and a man that is a relative ,
if i 'am not wrong .
McRae ,goodbye
but you are always inspiration in my heart
A
  • A
    adlanb20
  • Aug 27, 2008
ahh...what a nice tribute... his dad must be really proud, but sad at the same time...
P
  • P
    pandaB
  • Aug 27, 2008
RIP mr mcrae,,,
A
  • A
    aku_sangap
  • Aug 27, 2008
RIP.....
L
  • L
    lonely driver
  • Aug 27, 2008
1 yr already passed... so fast
C
  • C
    Crazy Biscut
  • Aug 28, 2008
gotta go to that meeting someday....
R
  • R
    roy_fatboy
  • Aug 28, 2008
agree wit biscuit..
J
  • J
    JINEIL2EN
  • Aug 28, 2008
7'_' pay my respect to all of them...!!!
N
  • N
    netmatrix
  • Aug 28, 2008
Can't get a better tribute than this.
N