Review: BMW 218i Gran Coupe M Sport + M Performance parts

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

The 218i at first sight looks like a teenage mutant ninja photoshop of a Bimmer orgy. There’s something for everyone. Coupe rear, hot hatch front and Gran Turismo side.
People either love it or hate it. It’s not a perfect 10 for sure but not that bad in reality. Quite okay looking if you would give it a chance, take a few days to see beauty in the beast. Especially in this Nardo Grey / Grigio Telesto looking paint, with the M Performance add ons.
2021 F44 BMW 218i Gran Coupe M Sport + M Performance parts
8.7 sec / 140ps / 220nm / 1.5L 3 cylinder turbo / 7 speed wet DCT / FWD / 213kmh / RM211,367 CKD
Just like opinions on the 218i’s design, car enthusiasts often have diverse preferences when it comes to customizing their vehicles.
Tlyard, a leading provider of automotive accessories, offers a range of options to suit various tastes.

From performance upgrades to aesthetic...
Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Nowhere near as ugly as the new M cars but still ugly nonetheless. BMW has reentered similar ugliness design phase like when it introduced those ugly 6 and 7 series in the mid 2000.

The rear like the G20 is quite nice looking but it will make the comparison with the new City even more rampant coz now it's also small size!

Reactions: Tom

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I like it. But I'd wonder how the 1.5 works with that massive weight.

@Tom it's FWD? Sacrilegious!
to be honest, very well. it's nicely configured for city driving.
i'll try to get include some highway driving footage into the driving video

it's great as a FWD, virtually can't tell if front or rear driven mostly. unless driving in the wet like the ig video in the post

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I like the color. But god awful ugly front. Personally, no reason to buy it if its not RWD. This time around you really are paying for the badge. 1.5L 3 cylinder lol, that's the X50's configuration as well. Thank god Malaysians aren't *that* stupid. The Mercedes 1.5L C200 flopped miserably in terms of sales, still lots of 2019 "new" cars around.

We have to vote with our money and feet, and tell them we ain't paying that much for just a badge.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Ever since the introduction of 316/318i F30, i lost faith in newer BMW, personally i won't pay premium for anything lesser than 4 cylinders.

Reactions: nw111

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Ever since the introduction of 316/318i F30, i lost faith in newer BMW, personally i won't pay premium for anything lesser than 4 cylinders.
318i is 3 cylinders. Joke. The B48 4 cylinder engine is rough, idles like crap, but is powerful lol. still a god awful unrefined engine.

That being said the first F30 I drove was a 316i. The only saving grace is the transmission and chassis dynamic. If anything, that transmission really compensate for the lack of power on the 316i engine, even when going up Genting. It still lack power, but it's not that apparent thanks to the gearing.

This Fake M W? No legendary 6 cylinder engine, no legendary rear wheel drive, no amazing 8 speed ZF transmission. Other than the badge, what's BMW about it? lol.

leinnz

Known Member
Sep 28, 2005
it's about reducing fossil fuel and moving towards more energy efficient engines or maybe electric cars

Reactions: Tom and Izso

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
. It still lack power, but it's not that apparent thanks to the gearing.
These modern 7,8 spd auto trans are deifinitely a very big plus. Heck it would help a lot of older cars with 4 spd autos to achieve better overall performance, just by having these gearboxes.

Last edited:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
it's about reducing fossil fuel and moving towards more energy efficient engines or maybe electric cars
I don't see how *this* car helps towards that goal. PHEV yes.

These modern 7,8 spd auto trans are deifinitely a very big plus. Heck it would help a lot of older cars with 4 spd autos to achoieve better overall performance, just by having these gearboxes.
You have got to go test drive a BMW with a 8 speed ZF. I keep raving about this gearbox because I've seen the opposite of it (CVT in a Proton Inspira, Honda HRV). The only reason I would want a manual over it, is engagement -- when I am driving for the fun of driving, not because I am commuting or have places to go.

The 6 speed skyactiv, 8 speed Aisin and the DSGs can't touch that box.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
318i is 3 cylinders. Joke. The B48 4 cylinder engine is rough, idles like crap, but is powerful lol. still a god awful unrefined engine.

That being said the first F30 I drove was a 316i. The only saving grace is the transmission and chassis dynamic. If anything, that transmission really compensate for the lack of power on the 316i engine, even when going up Genting. It still lack power, but it's not that apparent thanks to the gearing.

This Fake M W? No legendary 6 cylinder engine, no legendary rear wheel drive, no amazing 8 speed ZF transmission. Other than the badge, what's BMW about it? lol.
The 4 cylinder B48 idles rough ? Thats new for me, i didn't feel though when i last drove one.

The 8 speed ZF is really something, i wish they mate this trans with any BMW 6cyl engine and can rev high. Say N52 with 8 speed ZF ? That's a dream match !

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The 8 speed ZF is really something, i wish they mate this trans with any BMW 6cyl engine and can rev high. Say N52 with 8 speed ZF ? That's a dream match !
Can be done. Money come I find you the guy who can do it.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Subaru will be getting their own version of the Toyota FT-86 rear-wheel drive coupe and have released the first official photos of their version of the collaboration ahead of its debut at the Geneva Motor Show next week.

While Subaru were sneaky and provided a photo with an outline of just the front end’s silhouette, some Photoshop wands were waved over it at CarScoop and managed to filter out the rest...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience