Ever tried a simple DIY then causing a major F**K UP! .... Share you stories

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
tbh, so long as the camshaft didnt fully lift up. I think you could have completed the job. It's being held down by the timing mechanism, isnt it?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
tbh, so long as the camshaft didnt fully lift up. I think you could have completed the job. It's being held down by the timing mechanism, isnt it?
the cam gears are tensioned, and the valve springs should push the cams off abit... should it not?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I dont know..tried again this afternoon and gave up. manage to reinstall the valve cover back. will finish installation tomorrow.

i am guessing the camshaft is tilted and since i did not remove the camshaft sprocket cover, the valve cover must be pushed agaisnt it. I will leave it to those whom are getting paid to do it aka mechanic.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
What a ridiculous engine design.
yup, no wonder most mech dont want to operate on this engine.

Other than that, its as reliable as any other engine. This engine has never failed me, the electronis is a different story.

BTW, some Nissan also comes with such engine design thanks to their 'love affair' with Renault.

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur

Other than that, its as reliable as any other engine. This engine has never failed me, the electronis is a different story.

BTW, some Nissan also comes with such engine design thanks to their 'love affair' with Renault.
Tbh, I dont really understand why they need to route intake above rocker cover. Can route it at the side like other engine designs

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Tbh, I dont really understand why they need to route intake above rocker cover. Can route it at the side like other engine designs
maybe they want a compact design. Normal intake takes about 15cm - 20cm length in the engine bay. By running the intake above the engine, they can eliminate the space. However as we can see, it makes maintenance harder.

I just replaced the intake manifold gasket and the PCV gasket.tomorrow i will finish installation. hopes everythings in order. Mileage now is reaching 220k km..should i change the 02 sensor whileI ts easily accessible once the whole intake is off now. Price is RM 150 online.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Ya, like that stupid Livina engine.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
These are the intske leading into the engine. The pic is notnclear but No 1 and 2 ( nearest to oil cap ) is kinda dirty with oil from PCV. 3 and 4 is very clean.
IMG_20210104_212222.jpg

Lets see what the intake valve are like. This car got 16 valve and i cant get a pic with 2 valve per cylinder. Below are one of the valves from each cylinder. They are in the same condition;
20210104_212104.jpg

20210104_212110.jpg

20210104_212119.jpg
20210104_212125.jpg

I guess Caltex with Techron does work eh?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Guys,
I just finish DIY replace the arb link and tie rod on my BLM.
When cleaning up i noticed something that strongly suggest i might have f**k up the simple fix.

The tie rod, some car comes with tie rod which have curve in it while some are just a straight piece.
BLM one have curve.When replacing the the tie rod i just removed and re install according to how the original piece ( on the car since i bought the car brand new )is installed. In the BLM case, the curve is facing the rear of the car. After installation is completed and while cleaning up i noticed there is an 'L' and 'R' sign on the tie rod plastic packaging ( i bought one pair and its packed individually ). If i were to follow the L and R based on the marking on the plastic bag then i have installed it terbalik which is opposite the original installation from the factory.

So, did i f**k up or its ok?
Deep down inside i pray very hard its correct as working at night with bad lighting and not having a hydraulic jack is very stressful....

Reactions: Izso