Video: 2020 Honda City RS i-MMD first look

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
yea i get that, what i mean is, at lower gears, our torque is 'multiplied'.... without a gearbox what you have is one ratio

what im assuming is, if it has even a 3 or even 2 speed it would be able to accelerate faster (theoretically?)

only strange thing (from what i have read) is that the electric motor and ice doesnt seem to be able to run at the same time
electric motor working speed range don't need gearbox, you use an inverter to control it, in the city i believe it is also the same working method, the accelerator is like the adjuster knob for speed modulation, then the ECU tells the electric motor to speed up or slow down. Much like how we play with the speed variation of an electric motor via an inverter. The best example is electric forklift. You can cap the max speed or the electric motor or you can crank it up to the max.

Putting a 3 or 2 speed gearbox for the electric motor is redundant and it adds weights and also power lost.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
electric motor working speed range don't need gearbox, you use an inverter to control it, in the city i believe it is also the same working method, the accelerator is like the adjuster knob for speed modulation, then the ECU tells the electric motor to speed up or slow down. Much like how we play with the speed variation of an electric motor via an inverter. The best example is electric forklift. You can cap the max speed or the electric motor or you can crank it up to the max.

Putting a 3 or 2 speed gearbox for the electric motor is redundant and it adds weights and also power lost.
inverter drive make sense to me. Been puzzling me too like bro @lsm1991
factory using lots of inverter to control pump flowrate (can read motor rpm, frequency, amps..etc)

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ

hmmm have alot ot understand bout electric motors

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
inverter drive make sense to me. Been puzzling me too like bro @lsm1991
factory using lots of inverter to control pump flowrate (can read motor rpm, frequency, amps..etc)
Yes, its easy you make changes at the inverter simple also. It also saves electric during motor start up as you don't get spikes

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
hmmm have alot ot understand bout electric motors
The PCU (Power Control Unit) is the inverter in case of the city. The electric motor itself is just a motor, is the ECU and PCU are the brains that does all the signal receiving, calculation, controls, communications and send signal out to the electric motors, engines, clutch mechanism on what to do and when to do it.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
This City don't need a gearbox coz the wheels are driven by electric motor and has no connection with the engine. The engine only has a single ratio 1:1 when it cuts in to help during the high speed mode. Correct me if im wrong. There's only a mechanism to make the connections switch between the wheels and electric motors and engine. Even for this city the Reverse is powered by the electric motor also.
yeah after some research, the immd system is indeed very next gen.

To understand the immd and the no transmission idea, one must not assume it to be a regular hybrid car. it's quite the opposite, at least mostly when driven in the city.

here are my findings, which i hope will make it easy for all to understand

- It is more like an electric car with a petrol engine
- the petrol engine assists the electric drive
- the petrol engine runs in the background until car hit highway speeds
- Motor 1 does the regen like an alternator
- Motor 2 drive the wheels
- The petrol engine runs to either, or at the same time:
- - power motor 1, to charge battery, to power motor 2, to drive the front wheels
- - power motor 1, to charge battery
- - kick in at highway speeds
- there's no transmission because:
- - the car is driven primarily by an electric motor
- - the engine runs at a constant 6th gear metaphorically

Not sure if the upcoming Honda City immd's version matches but I found this video very helpful, it's not on the 1.5L immd specifically but provides a good idea

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
yeah after some research, the immd system is indeed very next gen.

To understand the immd and the no transmission idea, one must not assume it to be a regular hybrid car. it's quite the opposite, at least mostly when driven in the city.

here are my findings, which i hope will make it easy for all to understand

- It is more like an electric car with a petrol engine
- the petrol engine assists the electric drive
- the petrol engine runs in the background until car hit highway speeds
- Motor 1 does the regen like an alternator
- Motor 2 drive the wheels
- The petrol engine runs to either, or at the same time:
- - power motor 1, to charge battery, to power motor 2, to drive the front wheels
- - power motor 1, to charge battery
- - kick in at highway speeds
- there's no transmission because:
- - the car is driven primarily by an electric motor
- - the engine runs at a constant 6th gear metaphorically

Not sure if the upcoming Honda City immd's version matches but I found this video very helpful, it's not on the 1.5L immd specifically but provides a good idea

Yup, honda make it a bit simpler for the mass to understand so that it doesn't sound so confusing to them so they still called the gear mechanism e-cvt. In the ads and the much spoken 253Nm is actually the torque generated by the electric motor and it has a small workable range for low speed. Much like short burst of power to get things moving up to speed a bit quicker.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
hmm did some homework... ur right... end of the day they dont really need a gearbox...

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
My question is, what’s the warranty on this? If ANYTHING goes wrong, you’ll have to pay Honda Malaysia prices for this out of warranty.

5 years, ok fine. 8 years would be amazing and a winner. Then there’s the price. If it’s much higher than the current full spec City, I’ll rather use the same amount of money to get the X70. Get more car for the money.

minibeany

500 RPM
Apr 30, 2017
Petaling Jaya
My question is, what’s the warranty on this? If ANYTHING goes wrong, you’ll have to pay Honda Malaysia prices for this out of warranty.

5 years, ok fine. 8 years would be amazing and a winner. Then there’s the price. If it’s much higher than the current full spec City, I’ll rather use the same amount of money to get the X70. Get more car for the money.
more electrical parts will be costly to fix. I don't think any outside mechanic can fix it... then, this car has to pakai buang like our other home electrical products.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005

I think in this city case, probably the bearings on the electric motors, the clutch packs for the direct drive switch gear for the switching mechanism, the batteries but since it's a Li battery it will be better than the older batteries used in older hybrid, and the usual engine parts

Let's wait and see how things unfold

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
more electrical parts will be costly to fix. I don't think any outside mechanic can fix it... then, this car has to pakai buang like our other home electrical products.
Still can repair, but by changing parts as a whole, like whole motor, whole this and that.......haha

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I would treat cars with such tech like a premium brand front load washing machine. The motor that turns the drums, belting, body, doors, power cords, soap/detergent loader will definitely last.
What dont last is the control board...and cost a bomb to replace.
Batteries definitely needs to be replaced at certain point and the cost is key.

Remember our younger days playing with battery powered RC cars? One day it just stopped running even when the motor is still fine if we test it and we replaces the battery. We just cant figure out whats wrong and just throw it away.

Still, i would love to own a Tesla if i can afford it.

Reactions: Izso and Tom

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The next time you’re yacking away on your ultra high-tech, state of the art hands free kit consider this; a person using a hands free device is four times more likely to crash.

It was also found that drivers talking on either hand-held or hands-free mobile phones have an average reaction time that is 30 per cent slower than drunk drivers and an astonishing 50 per cent slower reaction time than sober drivers. This was...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience