Review: Goodyear Eagle F1 Directional 5 - The Ultra High Performance tyre, Almost.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

It's been a couple of months and over 2000kms with Goodyear's Eagle F1 Directional 5 tyres on the MINI and the experience has been satisfactory, more so with the inclusion of frequent rainy days really complimenting the driving experience. Initial thoughts of this new ultra high performance tyre contender, are that it pretty much does what it says on the box especially even when being compared to previous F1 Asymmetric that it replaces.

Read our previous post: Introducing: Eagle F1 Directional 5 tyre by Goodyear - The driving enthusiasts' tyre?

Putting the tyre through its paces in common driving conditions like on the highway, rough KL City roads, hill roads and more recently, Sepang circuit, i must say that it outperforms the F1 Asymmetric in noise, comfort and even in the wet. There is no sign of unduly tyre whine when carving the hills that the F1 Asymmetric annoyingly emits.

Its claimed high molecular polymer also provides noticeably soft, under high frequency deformation for shock absorption through uneven terrains but magically firms up under hard cornering load, perfect for blemish infested hill roads.

In the wet, Goodyear's signature wet-grip performance and V-thread exceeds all expectations in aqua planning reduction. While there are subtle steering feedback when hitting larger puddles, there are no signs of the car helplessly wanting to shift laterally. We're no strangers when it comes to rain in Malaysia, so when choosing performance tyres, wet performance is a crucial feature.

Our rating for Goodyear's Eagle F1 Directional 5 as a performance road tyre from our short term test:

Dry traction: 7
Being a contender in the Ultra High Performance tyre market, it is still, however a contender. Although grip in the dry is superb, it still lack the confidence its bigger brother, the Asymmetric 2 delivers. Having said that, it more than fulfills most drivers' demands in general circumstances.

Cornering stability: 7
At its limits, the tyre feels predictable. One could appreciate its firm sidewalls and shoulder rib innovation through serious twists and turns and should you feel like exploiting its limits, the Directional 5s knows when and how to tell you to back off. It is also a joy when maneuvering through surface changes no matter a rough or damp patch.

Wet traction: 8
In the wet is where this tyre shines. Although the Genting hill routes is not where one should explore the limits of wet grip, it is where such crucial abilities is needed the most, especially when descending the curvy downhill roads. While wet cornering grip is excellent, it's good to know these tyres also excel in wet braking. ABS tend to kick in much less.

Hydroplaning resistance: 9
The significant V-threading on the Directional 5s mean only one thing, Water dissipation. There's no doubting Goodyear's prowess in producing wet weather performing tyres through their proven Eagle F1 line up. In most wet driving conditions these tyres simply cuts through water and slashes through most puddles the highway can contain.

Ride comfort: 7
Comparing ride comfort against other similar models from brands such as Michelins, these Directional 5 may be just a tad lacking in the comfort department where it is somehow firmer in ride feel, and though it is not exactly as harsh as the Asymmetric, you might feel some of the little details present on the road surface. However, its innovative compound makes up for most of it when faced with potholes and really bad terrains where most competitors would fail to withstand.

Noise comfort: 7
Absolute silence is not what I would expect from tyres especially being performance biased rather than comfort, but having said that, there are other tyres out there that would trump the Directional 5 in quietness. Although there are no obvious whirring or whining, it is an accepted norm that in a performance oriented tyre with blocky threads, audible booms are inevitable.

Is it meant for you?
If you're looking for a tyre to replace your current small sedan or compact fitted with larger than stock wheels, these are perfect for you. The Eagle F1 Directional 5 is designed to bring sheer performance to the mid-segments. So for cars like the MINI, Swift, Civics and moderately powerful cars can truly benefit from these Eagle F1 Directional 5 tyres. However, one should consider other, more performance oriented tyre for their 200hp and up Evos or M3s as most features in the Directional 5 will quickly diminish when punished further.

A video of the Eagle F1 Directional 5 by Goodyear

Goodyear Directional 5 - YouTube

Read our previous post: Introducing: Eagle F1 Directional 5 tyre by Goodyear - The driving enthusiasts' tyre?

Official Goodyear Directional 5 website + Prices: http://www.goodyear.com.my/tyre_details.asp?tyre_code=Eaglef1D5
http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/automotive-news/389972-introducing-eagle-f1-directional-5-tyre-by-goodyear-the-driving-enthusiasts-tyre.html

Attachments

frootloops

Known Member
May 28, 2009
Re: Review: Goodyear Eagle F1 Directional 5 - The Ultra High Performance tyre, Almost

Very informative write up...thanks

frootloops

Known Member
May 28, 2009
Re: Review: Goodyear Eagle F1 Directional 5 - The Ultra High Performance tyre, Almost

Bang, Have to go track day with u first then I get semi slicks :biggrin:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005

i trust goodyear the most, this Directional 5 is in the "must have" list :smile: thanx for the write ts

dancerface

Known Member
Dec 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Hi Tom! On 12 Feb, I passed by bangsar village and If im not mistaken I saw your car! Correct me if im wrong, anyway you have one of the nicest miniS on the road though! hehe

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

hi dancerface, that's today, and yeah, that's the one. thanks for the compliments and also, it's up for sale if anyone's interested in ZTH's Green MINI :)

jimmyae101

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2005
medan indonesia

walau..it really nice tire...how much for 195/60/15?hahaha..jk

davidv00

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2006
Selangor

However, one should consider other, more performance oriented tyre for their 200hp and up Evos or M3s as most features in the Directinal 5 will quickly diminish when punished further.
Tom, what does 200hp above evos and M3s would choose over this?

wfd9766acik

Known Member
Dec 27, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

aggreed wit u abang tom.

my satria is fitted wit dis particular gy tyres oso.

slightly cheaper than t1r that i used b4 but at par in term of what i expected from t1r replacement tyres.

for a 1.6 mivec, i must say gy d5 serves my purposes well.

davidv00

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2006
Selangor

thanks Tom, would you recommend other brands?

midship

2,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Jul 22, 2004
Across the pond
www.nismo.com.my

Obviously there are loads of tyre models to choose from and your wallet also dictates one's choice of rubbers to keep in contact with the road.

Incidentally, the Goodyear Eagle F1 D5s shall also soon to be the standard equipment for selected complete tuned IMPUL models.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

thanks Tom, would you recommend other brands?
there isn't really an ultimate tyre for everyone, just recommendations. But what car, wheels, and purpose are you looking at for your next set? Nexens / Roadstone are great in bang for buck, these Directional 5s are perfect for most purposes, then there are the Assymetric 2 that are on par with Michelin's Pilot Sport 2 or Continental's Sport Contact 3.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I wanna mod my 4g91...I feel my 91 like 1.3sohc engine. Cannot tapau my friend. he oso use 4g91(stock)...

So, i need someone to help me to mod my engine..please....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience