How to raise your car hood.. DIY style

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
Why you need this?

As we all know, overheating is a common problem among us Malaysians..

This DIY will help reduce the heating problem..

The only side effect after doing this is MORE POWER.. :thefinger:

and the power increase differs between cars..

Gudluck :biggrin:

These are the things you need :

1. a few cloth.. an old t-shirt also can..
2. 4 screws.. same size & thread with ur hood screw.. but you need to get a longer one..
3. a few nuts.. this one u need to get 1 size bigger than ur screw.. it's hard to do if u use the same size..
4. an empty can of spray.. or whatever (i'll explain later)
5. a spanner.. of coz..

1st step..

Wrap the empty can of spray like this & place it in between your hood & car body.. make sure it fits tightly.. this will prevent your hood from crashing down on your car..

2nd step..

Open 1 screw & go to a hardware store & get a longer ones.. if your screw is already a long type, lucky you :biggrin:
Also get a few nuts that's 1 size bigger then the screw.. so, it will slide through the screws..

3rd step..

Put the nuts in between the hood holder.. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS 1 SCREW AT A TIME.. as u can see there's 2 screw on the hood.. loosen 1 screw & work on the other one.. the number of nuts determines the height of your hood opening.. tighten all screws once u finish putting all the nuts..

4th step..

Repeat the steps above on the other side of the hood.. clear all your stuff from the engine bay, close it and u'll get this..

Happy DIY-ing

& Gudluck :burnout:

* Proton Perdana users - need to cut off hinges from your hood 1st

Attachments

Last edited:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
nice info..but REALLY about d side effect ??
i've read sumwhere on d net 'Engine is an air pump.. if u pump more air, it will give u more power'..

and what i believe is..

to get more power u need :

1. more air
2. more fuel
3. more spark

this mod gives the engine more air because it gives better airflow

:biggrin:

jackisblack

Known Member
Nov 17, 2008
kuala lumpur
adf.ly
more air at intake right..i mean big air intake (good flow intake plenum)...just raising the hood does't improve anything except the 'look' only..if u refer for what you have quote..more air,more fuel,more spark...it all refer engine vital parts for increase its performence..don't mention about the add on parts and mods...i think,this hood DIY can be subjected as exterior DIY...not performence DIY..just my 2cent,coz i believe in fact that have proof..TQ

EGNINE

500 RPM
Jan 8, 2006
the reason i did this thing to my car is because i wanna dissipate heat faster...when car is moving air will enter from front grill and exit to the raised hood area...some people got theory that it doesnt help much becoz high velocity air on top of the hood when car is moving will block the heat from inside the hood from coming out becoz the air velocity coming out from the hood is slower than the outside....the other reason i did this thing becoz to dissipate heat faster when the car stopped or parked...so that the heat can come out at the raised area..no need to open the hood...as for the performance wise i dont feel any power increase after i raised the the hood...maybe others who feel the different can share with us....but i do feel better engine response when i did the CAI by diverting cold air direct to the air intake filter

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
more air at intake right..i mean big air intake (good flow intake plenum)...just raising the hood does't improve anything except the 'look' only..if u refer for what you have quote..more air,more fuel,more spark...it all refer engine vital parts for increase its performence..don't mention about the add on parts and mods...i think,this hood DIY can be subjected as exterior DIY...not performence DIY..just my 2cent,coz i believe in fact that have proof..TQ
Good Airflow = Good Power

Not so good airflow = Not so good power

right?

if u got big air intake, but doesn't have airflow to the big intake, u won't get much power right?

yes, big intake will suck more air.. but if there's no air to be suck there.. what will happen?

think about it..

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

the reason i did this thing to my car is because i wanna dissipate heat faster...when car is moving air will enter from front grill and exit to the raised hood area...some people got theory that it doesnt help much becoz high velocity air on top of the hood when car is moving will block the heat from inside the hood from coming out becoz the air velocity coming out from the hood is slower than the outside....the other reason i did this thing becoz to dissipate heat faster when the car stopped or parked...so that the heat can come out at the raised area..no need to open the hood...as for the performance wise i dont feel any power increase after i raised the the hood...maybe others who feel the different can share with us....but i do feel better engine response when i did the CAI by diverting cold air direct to the air intake filter

Power gain differs between cars..

i think carburetor cars will gain more power than injection cars..

this is based on my experience & also asking people around me..

:wink:

jackisblack

Known Member
Nov 17, 2008
kuala lumpur
adf.ly
i understand for your point is...but airflow mean keepin the air always there without any ristriction..big intake mean it can keep a large supply of air in it,and supply to the combustion.even using a standard air filter box also generate a good air flow that can keep the big plenum enough air..and can feed enough good airflow..if us said this kind of setup can reduce engine bay heat,i can accept it..but to increase power,performence...i dont think so..

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
i understand for your point is...but airflow mean keepin the air always there without any ristriction..big intake mean it can keep a large supply of air in it,and supply to the combustion.even using a standard air filter box also generate a good air flow that can keep the big plenum enough air..and can feed enough good airflow..if us said this kind of setup can reduce engine bay heat,i can accept it..but to increase power,performence...i dont think so..

i don't know about u.. but i think..

reducing heat = increase power

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
i think when on the move, the faster air above the jacked up hood will create vacuum effect and help scavenge the slower turbulence hot air inside the bay. this reduces turbulence inside the bay and hot air will be sucked out by this faster air so giving better ventilation overall.

if we have an increase in total moving air in the bay, this also helps cool down the intake manifold, head etc where ever the air is passing through

when the air inside hood can exit faster, more air can go in through radiator due to higher pressure difference. in principle, air or fluid wont move without pressure difference

and if u got an open pod in the bay and it is standing in the way of moving air to the jacked up hood, u already accidentally created a ram air effect and ease the air flowing through open pod giving more flow, more power too.

also if the engine bay is cooler, we get higher thermal efficiency so in theory more power

and instead of having air ramming to the firewall with only one clear exit which is under chassis, it can now exit through the jacked area, indirectly reducing aero drag

given the benefits above, add them all together for package in one mod, it is not impossible to hear people gaining significant power

probably safer to say release locked power instead of adding extra power although it is possible :D

the only possible problem i can see from this mod is, the heat will more likely to harden wiper faster haha or cause continuous expansion/contraction on windscreen glass during rain due to heat from engine and cooling down from rain but the benefits outweigh the disadvantages i guess

just my humble opinion

Last edited:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
monday would do this along with new bonnet installation... :biggrin:

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
I've done this mod today and tested. Can immediately feel the response coz I am using trumpet for 4 throttle. Now my 4 throttle will get fresh air constantly.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
ok here's mine...

only raise with one 14mm size nut....so kind of discreet raise....not really noticeable....but still giving the result letting hot air out from the engine bay...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

News from the gravepine has been whispering that Abarth will come out with its own mid-engined roadster ever since the revival by Fiat and the whispers indicated that they would be getting in bed with either Lotus or KTM for the roadster.

The whispers soon sided that KTM would be the one under the sheets with their X-Bow chassis forming the base...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience