Service Centre Not Using Their Own Product?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
My story here is, my mother's Avanza had just been brought to my mechanic for an engine oil change. But when my mechanic is trying to remove the engine oil filter, he found out that it is locked very tightly and it is very difficult to remove it even when he tried to clamp it out. After some struggling with several tools, he finally managed to get the oil filter out. Guess what? Instead of a Toyota oil filter, the oil filter taken out is actually a Daihatsu oil filter. All these while, every service for this Avanza was done by Toyota service centre.

Now I am actually wondering do they actually change the oil filter or not during the previous service because it is so hard to remove and my mother said the service centre din't give her back the used oil filter during previous service. But putting that matter aside, what I want to ask is, it actually fine for service centre to use products from other brand instead of their own for customer's vehicle during service? In this case, using Daihatsu oil filter instead of Toyota oil filter. Here is a photo of the oil filter used.

Attachments

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
My story here is, my mother's Avanza had just been brought to my mechanic for an engine oil change. But when my mechanic is trying to remove the engine oil filter, he found out that it is locked very tightly and it is very difficult to remove it even when he tried to clamp it out. After some struggling with several tools, he finally managed to get the oil filter out. Guess what? Instead of a Toyota oil filter, the oil filter taken out is actually a Daihatsu oil filter. All these while, every service for this Avanza was done by Toyota service centre.

Now I am actually wondering do they actually change the oil filter or not during the previous service because it is so hard to remove and my mother said the service centre din't give her back the used oil filter during previous service. But putting that matter aside, what I want to ask is, it actually fine for service centre to use products from other brand instead of their own for customer's vehicle during service? In this case, using Daihatsu oil filter instead of Toyota oil filter. Here is a photo of the oil filter used.
IINM toyota own daihatsu..so both are basically under same company, toyota group.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
IINM toyota own daihatsu..so both are basically under same company, toyota group.
Yes, I am aware of this that Daihatsu is currently owned by Toyota. But as an official Toyota service centre, aren't they suppose to use back Toyota oil filter for their customer's car?

jerrysiow

Known Member

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
If I not remember wrongly (please correct me if I'm wrong). Advanza 1.3 or 1.5 in Malaysia is using Daihatsu's engine which is 1.3L K3-VE (same as myvi 1.3) and 1.5L 3SZ-VE (which same as myvi 1.5). So no worry with Daihatsu's oil filter (somemore from denso), fuii..

Lucky they never put in Perodua (with Genius shinny sticker) oil filter.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
If I not remember wrongly (please correct me if I'm wrong). Advanza 1.3 or 1.5 in Malaysia is using Daihatsu's engine which is 1.3L K3-VE (same as myvi 1.3) and 1.5L 3SZ-VE (which same as myvi 1.5). So no worry with Daihatsu's oil filter (somemore from denso), fuii..

Lucky they never put in Perodua (with Genius shinny sticker) oil filter.
Yes, you are right about Avanza 1.3 using K3-VE and 1.5 using 3SZ-VE which is also shared with Alza and Myvi 1.5. In fact, the first generation Avanza is assembled by Perodua plant in Malaysia.

Compatibility wise, I won't doubt the Daihatsu oil filter of course because I know Avanza is also sold as Daihatsu Xenia in some other countries. Low displacement engines from Toyota and Daihatsu are quite similar anyway.

The thing about this is, can the service centre be allowed to use other products instead of those from their own brand? My mother asked me this question is it appropriate for them to use other branded products instead of Toyota? She also said, could this be the work of service technician where they swapped out the parts by themselves. During her previous services, they return back the oil filter to her together with a Toyota oil filter box but for the last previous service, they did not return back anything.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I'm not aware of any SC that's allowed to use other brands parts even though it's the same thing or from the same group of companies. It's possible that maybe some of the mechanics are naughty and swap them out coz the Daihatsu brand might be cheaper (even though exactly the same). What's more worrying is if they swap with non original parts!

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I'm not aware of any SC that's allowed to use other brands parts even though it's the same thing or from the same group of companies. It's possible that maybe some of the mechanics are naughty and swap them out coz the Daihatsu brand might be cheaper (even though exactly the same). What's more worrying is if they swap with non original parts!
Your words are exactly my point of this post. Well said. Furthermore, I don't know how they screw in the oil filter because it is so difficult for my mechanic to remove it. You can even see the whole oil filter is crumpled from my photo. My mechanic even said throughout his 40 years experience of repairing cars, he never came across such a tightly fitted oil filter. Now, this makes me think that they probably din't even bother to remove the filter on previous service since they din't give back the used filter to my mother. Or maybe they forcefully fit in this Daihatsu oil filter into the car. :confused:

pangyau

1,000 RPM

pangyau

1,000 RPM
Oct 17, 2009
Malaysia
Most service center done that especially if your took the lowest service package.
Or if you complaining, they will respond:-

1) No issue on compatibility,
2) No stock,
3) Has been a practice years ago,

I never return to service center after bought their car coz capable to maintain/repair myself (low segment product). SC always cut corners, they all human.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Most service center done that especially if your took the lowest service package.
Or if you complaining, they will respond:-

1) No issue on compatibility,
2) No stock,
3) Has been a practice years ago,

I never return to service center after bought their car coz capable to maintain/repair myself (low segment product). SC always cut corners, they all human.
That is one of the reason that my mother did not return to service centre for oil change this time. Every time she went there, at least RM300 gone. Occasionally around RM500 per service for her 8 year old Avanza. I already told her before few times, no point going back to service centre and paid few hundred extra for some basic maintenance work.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That is one of the reason that my mother did not return to service centre for oil change this time. Every time she went there, at least RM300 gone. Occasionally around RM500 per service for her 8 year old Avanza. I already told her before few times, no point going back to service centre and paid few hundred extra for some basic maintenance work.
Most people right after warranty period over already start servicing outside dy....:driver:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Is not the matter of wrong filter just different brand only, still made by Denso.....lol

Sometimes the filter can get stuck tight. Seen before, they use the chain, the giant clamp like pliers and finally pierce a screw driver right through and twist open......lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Most people right after warranty period over already start servicing outside dy....:driver:
If is you, will you still continue at service centre or go outside?

Is not the matter of wrong filter just different brand only, still made by Denso.....lol

Sometimes the filter can get stuck tight. Seen before, they use the chain, the giant clamp like pliers and finally pierce a screw driver right through and twist open......lol
But Toyota service centre shouldn't put up such kind of practice isn't it?

So hard to remove these stuck filter.

jerrysiow

Known Member

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
They should not using other brands or parts eventhough out of stock or they try to lower their cost. This is consumer cheating edi. We as a consumer pay for that amount of money quoted by team and end up getting something that is not in our expectation although the parts might or might not harm our car. This is not right though for a service centre.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Bought only one new car and that was the 2nd Gen Civic way back, and was straight away serviced outside....lol
Wife's Chery SUV serviced in SC until warranty period over.....:driver:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Your words are exactly my point of this post. Well said. Furthermore, I don't know how they screw in the oil filter because it is so difficult for my mechanic to remove it. You can even see the whole oil filter is crumpled from my photo. My mechanic even said throughout his 40 years experience of repairing cars, he never came across such a tightly fitted oil filter. Now, this makes me think that they probably din't even bother to remove the filter on previous service since they din't give back the used filter to my mother. Or maybe they forcefully fit in this Daihatsu oil filter into the car. :confused:
Normally those filters are made by Denso and just change label only from 1 car brand to another but still the same/compatible. So not sure why it became so stuck like that, maybe they just over tighten.

For me, my wife's Livina was still serviced in TC for some time after warranty BUT I brought my own oil filter and oil bought from Tesco or whatever. Why I still serviced at SC:
1. For my case it's also because the SC was relatively close, and I like the way Tan Chong service handles customer, pretty efficient.
2. The car is only driven in very short distances that time, so the mileage moves slow ((bought in early 2011 but still only 60k km now) hence I don't need to service often, thus cost is not much of an issue.
3. I tried to maintain the service record history as proof that the car is indeed low mileage.

Only after I moved house late last year then I already change oil outside at a nearby shop, only once so far now. Oil & filter are still bought on my own then brought to the shop and paid just for labor. I also just service the brakes for that car at some other shop in PJ after searching for cheap pads in mudah (found TRW pads). :biggrin: But changing coil plugs and spark plugs early this year was still done at SC (coz of misfiring so I brought to SC to properly diagnose), with parts I bought outside to minimize the cost. So now it will be mostly outside shops except maybe is got strange problems then maybe I go to SC (which is a bit far).

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all,
Dropping 4G61 into my front hood caused to limited space in the engine to install something else. So, plan to replace my battery to the back. Just want to know any consequences and any solutions to prevent bad thing happen.

Your opinion and suggestion is much appreciated. Thanks you!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience