4G92 MIVEC questions, anyone running one

jay_lancer

Known Member

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
Hi

After considering boosting the 4G18 in my 2005 Lancer CS3A I got offered by a shop in BKK a JDM 4G92 MIVEC engine with a close ratio LSD manual gearbox so I decided to change my plans and buy and fit this engine.

My car has been in this shop for the last few weeks and I should get it back soon.

This is how it looks now, so nearly finished:

I have a few questions for anyone running a 4G92 MIVEC especially anyone who swapped from a 4G18.

First I am not sure the best fuel to run. The 4G92 MIVEC is designed to run on RON98 - RON100.

The options I have in Thailand are RON95 E10 or E20 which although is advertised as 95 in reality it has a RON of 98+

http://www.pttplc.com/en/Products-S...novation/Pages/PTT-Gasohol-Blue-E20-Test.aspx

So running it on E20 would be the best to get the most out of my engine, however I am concerned about the increased ethanol content of the fuel may affect my fuel pump, fuel lines, injectors etc.

Should I have any concerns about using E20? do I need to change my fuel pump to run E20, and if so could someone suggest the best fuel pump to use? The current sent up is still using the stock 4G18 fuel pump.

Also I would like to change the ugly stock 4G18 airbox, I do like the look of the open pod HKS air-filters but I am concerned about heat-soak making this mod make me lose power.

Can anyone suggest any alternatives for the air intake on a 4g92 MIVEC?

Finally once I get the car back, and before making the final payment to the shop who sold me the engine and carried out the swap, what is the best way to check the MIVEC cut over is working OK?

Many thanks for any replies!

Attachments

jay_lancer

Known Member

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
wow, finally you have an engine swap.
Yeah, I was almost ready to do a BOT on my 4G18 and then this engine came up.

Now just looking forward to getting the car back.

jay_lancer

Known Member

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
Yah! need some movement first, long time no run......lol:rofl:
Its been about 4 weeks my car has been in the shop, looking forward to getting it back, hopefully this weekend...

Question to Sweelt, because you are running a 4G93 Turbo which would be around the same age as my 4G92 MIVEC, (or anyone running an older Mitsu performance engine)

Do you know the ethanol content of fuel you are running there in Malaysia?

I would ideally like to run E20 with 20% ethanol because of the higher octane rating of this fuel but I am concerned running a 20% ethanol fuel will give corrosion issues with the fuel system, because this engine was designed when higher ethanol content petrol did not exist.

Many thanks

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Its been about 4 weeks my car has been in the shop, looking forward to getting it back, hopefully this weekend...

Question to Sweelt, because you are running a 4G93 Turbo which would be around the same age as my 4G92 MIVEC, (or anyone running an older Mitsu performance engine)

Do you know the ethanol content of fuel you are running there in Malaysia?

I would ideally like to run E20 with 20% ethanol because of the higher octane rating of this fuel but I am concerned running a 20% ethanol fuel will give corrosion issues with the fuel system, because this engine was designed when higher ethanol content petrol did not exist.

Many thanks
Yup, I am running a 4G63T.
Malaysian petrol no ethanol. Thailand have because they have plenty sugar cane so ethanol is abundance. Just like MY have plenty Palm oil so they try to increase Biodiesel usage.

jay_lancer

Known Member

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
Yup, I am running a 4G63T.
Malaysian petrol no ethanol. Thailand have because they have plenty sugar cane so ethanol is abundance. Just like MY have plenty Palm oil so they try to increase Biodiesel usage.

OK sorry for my confusion, I thought being neighboring countries the fuel grades would be similar.

You are lucky to have RON97 pure benzene there!

I will have to find out from another source if I can safely use E20 or I will need to upgrade my fuel system for that

cheers

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
OK sorry for my confusion, I thought being neighboring countries the fuel grades would be similar.

I will have to find out from another source if I can safely use E20 or I will need to upgrade my fuel system for that

cheers
We also have Shell V Power Racing which is still 97 but with special additives and now Petron Ron 100.......:driver:

sweelt

2,000 RPM

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang

cheers
If the engine is tuned for ethanol mixture, then is ok. :nurse:
Worry will kaboom...mechanic is your best friend now.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hi

After considering boosting the 4G18 in my 2005 Lancer CS3A I got offered by a shop in BKK a JDM 4G92 MIVEC engine with a close ratio LSD manual gearbox so I decided to change my plans and buy and fit this engine.

My car has been in this shop for the last few weeks and I should get it back soon.

This is how it looks now, so nearly finished:

I have a few questions for anyone running a 4G92 MIVEC especially anyone who swapped from a 4G18.

First I am not sure the best fuel to run. The 4G92 MIVEC is designed to run on RON98 - RON100.

The options I have in Thailand are RON95 E10 or E20 which although is advertised as 95 in reality it has a RON of 98+

http://www.pttplc.com/en/Products-S...novation/Pages/PTT-Gasohol-Blue-E20-Test.aspx

So running it on E20 would be the best to get the most out of my engine, however I am concerned about the increased ethanol content of the fuel may affect my fuel pump, fuel lines, injectors etc.

Should I have any concerns about using E20? do I need to change my fuel pump to run E20, and if so could someone suggest the best fuel pump to use? The current sent up is still using the stock 4G18 fuel pump.

Also I would like to change the ugly stock 4G18 airbox, I do like the look of the open pod HKS air-filters but I am concerned about heat-soak making this mod make me lose power.

Can anyone suggest any alternatives for the air intake on a 4g92 MIVEC?

Finally once I get the car back, and before making the final payment to the shop who sold me the engine and carried out the swap, what is the best way to check the MIVEC cut over is working OK?

Many thanks for any replies!
Read back on your post again and also the test report.
Firstly was surprised they mentioned the E10 is more expensive than E20. And since E20 is Ron98 above it should suit your Mivec nicely. I think you should be more concern about engine knocking.
As for the fuel pump and lines there should not be any problem as E20 is 20% ethanol mixed with petrol.

If you want to use open pod, best you extend your air intake and place the open pod out of the engine area. Most do by putting the pod at the bumper area. To me heat shield may be useless as the pod is still in the engine bay. Even original intake draws air from front of the engine...:driver:

jay_lancer

Known Member

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
If the engine is tuned for ethanol mixture, then is ok. :nurse:
Worry will kaboom...mechanic is your best friend now.
I should not need a remap to run E20, if I went to E85 it would defiantly need a remap or piggyback as a minimum though. My concern about E20 is if the fuel pump etc can handle it because I have heard that more ethanol sticky than regular petrol so components can get gummed up and stop working in older cars. My actual base car is not too old (2005) so not sure if this will be a problem or if I need to replace the fuel hose, fuel pipes.

E20 would give me higher octane which is great for my engine though :)

jay_lancer

Known Member

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
Read back on your post again and also the test report.
Firstly was surprised they mentioned the E10 is more expensive than E20. And since E20 is Ron98 above it should suit your Mivec nicely. I think you should be more concern about engine knocking.
As for the fuel pump and lines there should not be any problem as E20 is 20% ethanol mixed with petrol.

If you want to use open pod, best you extend your air intake and place the open pod out of the engine area. Most do by putting the pod at the bumper area. To me heat shield may be useless as the pod is still in the engine bay. Even original intake draws air from front of the engine...:driver:
E20 is cheaper here, because they are trying to promote it more I think, they don't officially even claim the octane rating is RON98+ it is still marketed as RON95, the higher octane is just because ethanol just gives a higher octane, which is good for performance car lovers like us but 99% of the population don't care about that LOL

I will try and figure out a nice way to get my air intake out of the engine area, the problem is here in Thailand in rainy season the roads flood a lot so I cannot go too low with the air intake or it might suck in water. This car still has to be my daily driver, so need to keep it practical.

I might go for some bonnet vents to keep under the bonnet cooler at speed at some stage, my bonnet could do with a respray anyway, not thought about it much yet though, but maybe something like this

This should sit over the exhaust manifold area so no electrical parts to be affected by rain, do you think this would help with under bonnet heat or be more trouble than its worth with rain getting in the engine bay?

Attachments

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Photo source: Porsche

Just yesterday, we wrote about how the new Porsche 911 Carbriolet had launched in Malaysia. Today, the world has lost and icon and a legend; Ferdinand Alexander Porsche, grandson of Porsche's founder Ferdinand Porsche, designer of the iconic Porsche 911 has passed away earlier yesterday, aged 76. Born on 11th December 1935...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience