The EUROs Are Here To Stay!

NukeeZoid

2,000 RPM
Jan 26, 2005
further_seems_forever.blogspot.com

The EURO category has always been the bastard child at TimeToAttack.
Back in 2011, no one took us seriously, especially when it came to laptimes at Sepang. For the longest time, Honda had hands down took the crown for being the fore-runners at the track, clocking amazing times without the help of any fancy air-compression technology... relying on just raw brute force from a screaming 9,000 (or more) rev limit engine. And on the flip side, when it came to turbo/super-charged machinery, the EVOs and Subarus were always in the limelight. The EUROs were always left out. We were always just the "nice car, but cannot go fast" group. Poor us.

One of the fastest and most respected FD2R's out there: Ari7474

However, in recent times, circa 2013 onwards, there has been a paradigm shift in the progression of European vehicles.
Whether it's due to the growing popularity of VW's and Audi's in mainstream car sales, or the emergence of smaller makes like Renault that have truly propelled the class forward... All I know is that it feels good to be driving a EURO going into 2015.

For someone that has driven a Megane RS250 for 3 years now, let me just shed some light on the progress we've made.
In 2012, you could win the EURO Street category with a laptime of 2:45. Yes my friends, WIN... FIRST PLACE... NUMERO UNO. This was at a time when our FD2R counterparts were already hitting low 2:30s and utterly dominating the scene. But today, at the recent TimeToAttack 2014 Finale on 21st Dec '14, the winning Audi TTS in the EURO Super Street category clocked a time of 2:27! That's almost a 20 second improvement for the EURO class in just 2 years! And the icing on the cake is that we've caught up to the Jap makes, and there is little to no difference now between the top performers in each category. Lovely stuff.

And so, this is why at this recent TTA, the EURO class was the class to watch.
As a category, I believe that we were all gunning to prove ourselves, not just within our own niche, but to the entire motorsports world at large. All the teams and drivers were gearing up for a nail-biting showdown, and my gosh did we have a treat on our hands.

In the Street category, we had strong contenders. Everco's Cornelius and his Audi TTS was the crowd favorite to win. Then there was word of a 400hp Scirocco R (the matte black one) that was built solely for Sepang laptimes. Scary stuff right there... And the R.S. Collectif had 3 troopers in the category, but unfortunately due to an incident the night before, one of us had to bow out of the competition. Nonetheless, Darren Goh in his RS265 Red Bull edition, and the dynamic duo pairing of Jay Choong & Syed Rizal in the legendary TAP (reference to the number plate on Rizal's car) were set to take on the challenge.

The 400HP Monster! Be afraid, be very afraid!

After Heat 1, the Everco Audi, piloted by Kingston was in top position with a time of 2:34, and the RenaultSport twins were in 2nd and 3rd with Jay Choong clocking a 2:37 (which is also his new personal best in a Megane), and Darren with a 2:39. Camp R.S. Collectif was feeling good with the 2 podium positions, and both drivers swore to do better in the next session.

"TO BATTLE!"

3:45pm, Heat 2 came about and the skies were looking like it was about to pour. Fortunately enough, the heavens held back long enough, and the track cooled down substantially. But alas, when the final scores for EURO Street were posted, the VW boys had found their pace and flew into the top spots knocking both Meganes off the podium. The final standings were:
EVERCO Audi TTS - 2:34.2
VW Scirocco (the 400hp monster) - 2:34.8
WING HIN VW Golf R - 2:36.4

Both Meganes clinched 4th & 5th place respectively, and it was a hard fought battle & commendable performance from our camp.

Congratulations to Cornelius & Team Everco

Brilliant job by Jay Choong & Syed Rizal

Harnessing the bull within. Red Bull that is.

In the EURO Super Street Category where I was parked this time, I knew there was going to be tough competition as well. Wing Hin Motorsport's monstrous track dedicated Golf R had graduated from the EURO category and was scheduled for performance in the Turbo 4wd Super Street category. This was abit of a relief, but there was still Shedden's track spec Golf R, and a wild card last minute entry by Everco, sending a camo themed Audi TTS with God-know's-what under the hood.

"F U C K M E" were the words that came to mind (Pardon my French).

"Got Wing?"

Heat 1 ended with me staring at the timing sheet with my jaw on the floor. Everco's TTS clocked a blistering time of 2:29, with professional driver Zen Low at the wheel. I had managed to better my personal best by almost 1 full second, putting me in 2nd place with a time of 2:32.6. And ExoticMod's Golf R (who had apparently been facing some minor issues), sat in 3rd, with a surprise apperance by former F1 test-driver Fairul Fauzy piloting it.

I was ecstatic! By a stroke of brilliance, I managed to clinch 2nd place, break my personal best, and on top of that, I knew that there was more seconds to be cut. This was my first time back on semi-slick tyres since I changed suspensions, and there was definitely more speed available if I could just open the taps.

A new personal best & lap record is nothing to cry about!

So come Heat 2, weather conditions were pretty much perfect for a mid-afternoon, and as I strapped myself into my seat, I whispered a silent prayer, hoping to be able to fully unleash every last ounce of bravery to go for a coveted 2:30 timing. But alas, traffic and luck was not on my side, and I only managed a 2:32.5 (still a new personal best, and the new amateur driver lap record for the Megane). I ended up in 3rd place, with the final standings:
EVERCO Audi TTS (Kingston you crazy mofo!) - 2:27.5
ExoticMods Golf R - 2:32.0
R.S. Collectif Megane RS250 - 2:32.5

YOU WIN LIAO LOR!

One of the longest & strongest standing contenders

In all honesty, I was a little disappointed that I didn't manage to retain 2nd place, or achieve my targeted time of 2:30. However, as I reflected on the drive home, I realized that there was nothing really to frown about. The EUROs were finally on the map! From humble beginnings and being brushed aside as "luxury cars trying to go fast", to now being recognized as "fast cars"... From the entire Renault camp being convinced that 2mins35seconds deserved a Superman car sticker, to now having representation in the low two-thirties... From being "serious pretenders" to now being "serious contenders"... We certainly have come a long way.

And that my friends, is what this wonderful 3 year journey of ownership has brought me to. I'm now proud to show up at trackday events in my Megane, not having to worry that I'll be seen as a wannabe, and knowing that as a class of machines, we've made a name & impression on the industry...

Yes, the EUROs are here to stay!

Onboard footage of my 2:32.599 run. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fDTCoVSFjc&list=UU0kcBX2tUD7hDeE2SUeV4zQ

CREDITS TO ALL THE PHOTOGRAPHERS.
Thanks for letting me steal your awesome photographs.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Another great entry from you Eugene Lee. A brilliantly written copy that encapsulates the relentless passion of Euro players, inspires new comers and soothes the heart of us organizers. I personally hope you graduate into the under 30s club in 2015. See you again very soon

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hai~! everyone~! i got a very very old car, it is NISSAN sunny 130 :P . this is very very powerless ;) . at the moment, wish to exchange the original B11 engine to SR20DET with turbo one :lol: . But, don't know it is work or not? and to do this, it is still can ride on the road like a normal car? what i mean is about the gorvenment site. it is approve or not :blink: ? please, give me some nice guides ~! thank you for your guys first~ B) !
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience